Author Topic: Honey Garlic Pizza  (Read 1381 times)

Offline TomN

Honey Garlic Pizza
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
I was curious if anyone has tried this combination on their pizza? I am posting the recipe link, although I was not interested in the pizza dough they recommend, it was the olive oil, garlic, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, with honey on top, that caught my eye. All the reviews said they were going to try it, but didn't tell how it turned out. Has anyone ever tired this combination on the pizza? Thanks for any reply.

TomN

http://www.lifeingraceblog.com/2013/04/homemade-pizza-how-to-make-perfect-crust/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:19:21 PM by TomN »

Offline dhorst

Re: Honey Garlic Pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
I've never tried it, although I have used Mike's Hot Honey on pizza.  I'd give it a shot with some aleppo chile and gorgonzola for some of the cheese.  It would probably be nice topped with some lemon dressed arugala post bake.
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
I haven't tried it, but I could see it being good. I like honey on certain pies. I also like it with garlic and evoo (and typically vinegar or lemon) in a marinade for poultry, and I like it on Parmesan.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
I think the kind of honey you use would also affect the flavor.  One of my favorites is orange blossom honey.  I also have had some wildflower honey from the Fingerlakes that was quite good.  The lavendar honey I currently have is a touch overpowering, although it was very good on a roasted chicken with lemon and lavendar olive oil--I wouldn't use it on pizza.  I'm not a fan of clover honey.  I have some sunflower honey, that I have yet to get into, so I may give this a whirl, tomorrow or Thursday.
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
The recipe calls for cold water, would the yeast not need heat to activate??
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
The recipe calls for cold water, would the yeast not need heat to activate??

No. I generally use water around 40F. ADY might dissolve a little better in tepid water, and if I were to use ADY, I might dissolve the yeast in a small amount of the formula water warmed, but the majority I would incorporate cold. You dough will perform better  if you don't let it get over 78F or so in the mixer. Using warm water makes it tough to keep the dough cool
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »
Cheers Craig, I'm here to learn  ^^^
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline TomN

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I will stick with my own dough. I was just interested to try honey on the pizza. I have used honey in my dough making process before, but not directly on top of the cheese as a topping. I made some smaller 7 ounce dough balls last night to make an 8" pizza to try this recipe. I will let you know how it turns out.

TomN

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »
Made it! I will definitely be adding this pizza to my rotation mostly due to it having simple ingredients that are always in my cabinet. I used freshly minced garlic, EVOO, red pepper chili flakes, fresh mozz, wildflower honey from West Chester, PA, ground pork, and I threw hormel thick sliced pepperoni on half of it. This was my own dough recipe.

Three changes for next time.....I won't be doing the pepperoni next time because it didn't really fit with the other toppings. Secondly, I will pre cook the garlic in the olive oil. It was a little raw for my likes, maybe because it was under all the cheese and I cooked this in about 5 minutes so it didn't really have time to soften up. Lastly, I'll be adding the red pepper flakes to the pizza after it's cooked. They got burnt under my broiler. Otherwise this was a great pizza. I was going for a sweet and spicy type of flavor.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:37:17 PM by mttfrog13 »

Offline TomN

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
mttfrog13

Thanks for the feedback and especially for the photos. That looks like a delicious pie. I am going to make this soon. I appreciate your three changes comments too.

TomN
PS
I see that you are eliminating the pepperoni. Will you still use the ground pork on this recipe?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:40:04 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:34 AM »
Made my regular thin crust beer dough pizza tonight and i tried the Honey Garlic recipe with my last pizza dough that i had in the fridge. While it had a very unique combination taste, it just did not do it for me.  Perhaps it is because I make a white Bianca Pizza with the EVOO and garlic. Perhaps I kept looking for that White Bianca taste with Sliced Roma Tomatoes???  What ever the case, this pizza recipe was ok, but not one that I will make again in the future. I am sure there are those that like it this way, so i am glad the recipe got posted.

TomN
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:18:25 AM by TomN »

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
mttfrog13

Thanks for the feedback and especially for the photos. That looks like a delicious pie. I am going to make this soon. I appreciate your three changes comments too.

TomN
PS
I see that you are eliminating the pepperoni. Will you still use the ground pork on this recipe?

Yeah I'll definitely be keeping the ground pork.  I actually made a second pizza last night along with the changes I noted. I precooked the garlic in the oil, and I also precooked the sausage with black pepper and chili flakes in the a cast iron pan to get the meat a little spicer. And I topped with the pizza with red pepper flakes after I took it out of the oven. I liked it a lot. The only other thing I might think about changing is along with the red pepper flakes, I also might top the pizza with the honey after it's cooked rather than before. The heat in the oven makes the honey melt and get a little runny and my pizzas usually have a pretty thin crust to it got a bit soggy. The olive oil already added enough moisture and the honey was a bit too much.

I probably wouldn't like this pizza if it wasn't for the sweet and spicy aspect of the honey matched with the ground pork and pepper flakes.

pizzapan