Author Topic: keep slices warm in the bar..  (Read 1564 times)

Offline fernandolira

• I Love Pizza!
keep slices warm in the bar..
« on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:57 AM »
hey there!
im in the budget stage for my pizza shop!
haha..

i want to have those "warmers" in the bar behind a glass, to show the pizza slices and to keep them at an eatable temperature..

any clues on how are they called???

im sorry for my lack of language.. i'm from chile.. hahah!!

thanks!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: keep slices warm in the bar..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »
hey there!
im in the budget stage for my pizza shop!
haha..

i want to have those "warmers" in the bar behind a glass, to show the pizza slices and to keep them at an eatable temperature..

any clues on how are they called???

im sorry for my lack of language.. i'm from chile.. hahah!!

thanks!!

fernandolira,

I think they are called warming cabinets, or holding cabinets for pizza.  I think this is a link for some on Google.   https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=979&q=warming+cabinet+for+pizza&oq=warming+cabinet+for+pizza&gs_l=img.3...3492.12195.0.12538.27.17.1.9.9.0.152.1909.0j17.17.0...0.0.0..1ac.1.17.img.Y5AeapOXMDQ

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
Wouldn't those over cook the pie?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
Wouldn't those over cook the pie?

Gin,

My warming cabinet keeps almost a constant temperature and has digital settings for pizza and other foods.  It keeps the pizza at food safe temperatures and doesn't really cook anything.  The only thing that can happen to the slices is the slices can dry out if kept in my kind of pizza warming cabinet too long.  My warming cabinet has 3 revolving shelves to display the pizzas.  I can link to a photo of my pizza warming cabinet if you want to see a photo of it.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like whenever I get a slice in NYC, they throw it back in the oven for a couple minutes before the serve it to me.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:00:29 AM »
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like whenever I get a slice in NYC, they throw it back in the oven for a couple minutes before the serve it to me.

Craig,

Your are correct that is what a lot of pizzerias do.  With my limited space at my market stand, it is better to showcase the pizzas and keep them in the heated case.  I don't have enough space to put them behind some kind of barrier to showcase what I sell.  That is one reason some pizzerias, bars, or maybe elsewhere use a warmer, or a heated case.  Also to keep food behind some kind of barrier so no one sneezes on it, or coughs on the food.  More customers like the slices reheated even though the slices are hot, but there are customers that don't like their slices really hot.

Norma

Offline fernandolira

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
.... I can link to a photo of my pizza warming cabinet if you want to see a photo of it.

Norma

please do!!
:D
 :chef: i love the double function of it.. keeping it warm and at the same time showing it to the public :)
my place will also be kinda small..

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
I am working on a concept right now that calls for holding the finished pizzas in a temperature/humidity controlled cabinet, probably like Norma has (The one we are working with is made by Hatco). The pizzas are held at 145F and when an order is placed, the slice is removed from the cabinet, placed in a small counter top conveyor oven (Blodgett) and timed so by the time the money transaction has taken place the pizza is out of the oven. The idea is not to bake the pizza in the small oven, but rather just to heat it up a little bit more and to help crisp it a bit too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »

please do!!
:D
 :chef: i love the double function of it.. keeping it warm and at the same time showing it to the public :)
my place will also be kinda small..

fernandolira,

At Reply 39 (second photo down) it can be seen what the pizzas look like in my heated revolving rack cabinet.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg258506.html#msg258506   That heated cabinet does keep the pizzas at about 146 degrees F.  These are also two other photos, the one being the other heated humidified cabinet that I could use for pizzas, but I just use that cabinet to temper my dough balls, or to temper my doughs for Detroit style pizzas in the steel pans.  I purchased both of those heated cabinets fairly cheap used.

You can see how small my pizza stand is by the one photo. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
fernandolira,

If you want to see more photos of either of my heated cabinets I can take more photos of them when I go to market today to clean and stock other stuff there.  Let me know if you would like to see other photos.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »
I am working on a concept right now that calls for holding the finished pizzas in a temperature/humidity controlled cabinet, probably like Norma has (The one we are working with is made by Hatco). The pizzas are held at 145F and when an order is placed, the slice is removed from the cabinet, placed in a small counter top conveyor oven (Blodgett) and timed so by the time the money transaction has taken place the pizza is out of the oven. The idea is not to bake the pizza in the small oven, but rather just to heat it up a little bit more and to help crisp it a bit too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

I think what you are working on now is similar to what I do, but I use my smaller deck oven to do the reheat.  My temperature/humidity controlled cabinet is probably like what you are using.  I also find it only takes about 20 seconds or a tiny bit longer to reheat the slices to give them a little crisp and make them hotter.  Some customers don't like the really hot slices though, but most customers like the better crisp from the reheat.  I found that adding the humidity really doesn't help too much and the water (distilled) that is supposed to be used to fill them is rather expensive and requires a lot of water added over a days period of time. 

Norma

Offline fernandolira

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »
fernandolira,

If you want to see more photos of either of my heated cabinets I can take more photos of them when I go to market today to clean and stock other stuff there.  Let me know if you would like to see other photos.

Norma

thanks! i think with those pictures you posted i can make an idea.. !

thanks for your response.. :D

cheers!

pizzapan