Author Topic: Gas grill  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Gas grill
« on: March 07, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »
Just helped my friend set up his new gas grill... he bought the Sam's Club top-of-the-line stainless steel unit... what a grill!

While we were testing the unit, I noticed that the integrated thermometer went all the way up to 600 degrees F.

That got me thinking... 600 degrees F. is right up there with those coal-fired ovens used to make NY style pizza.

When I got home, I opened up my Weber Genesis 1000 grill and measured the cooking surface for size... to my amazement, my pizza stone will fit perfectly on the surface. Next, I popped in my oven thermometer to see what temperature I could acheive. To my surprise, my grill got up to an astonishing 650 degrees F. !!!

Now I'm REALLY starting to get excited about this. If I put my pizza stone inside and let it preheat for an hour, we're talking "profesional oven" temperatures.  :o

I figure if I open the lid just crack, just enough to get the pizza off the peel and onto the hot stone, the temperature should not drop too much. And the preheated stone should maintain its temperature without any problems.

So.... next weekend I may try my hand at "grilling" a pizza.  8)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 04:58:21 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline andylipp

Re:Gas grill
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 06:32:22 PM »
Steve,
My very best-ever New York/ New Haven style pies were made doing just what you describe.  Don’t worry too much about cooling off with the lid up.  Once the stone is super-heated, the relatively small airspace in the lid will heat up quickly. I wish you the same great results I had.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 05:59:30 PM »
Steve,

Did you ever attempt this?  If so, how'd it turn out?  As far as I could see, the logic seemed about right....

Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 12:58:40 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with a product called "PizzaGrill" or know anything about it?   I saw it at http://pizzagrill.com/index.html.  My son is big into grilling and, while my daughter-in-law is the pizza maker in the family, I thought I might turn my son into a pizza maker also, or at least get him involved in the process.

Peter

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
Re: Gas grill
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 04:14:34 PM »
I see this post is pretty old, but I wanted to search for this kind of topic before starting a new thread on it.

Basically, from what I've read in this post it is OK to put a pizza stone directly in your grill - is this correct?

Does it matter if it's gas/propane or charcoal?  I have a CharBroil propane grill  (pretty much just like this http://www.charbroil.com/grills/quickset_traditional.asp) that I could easily turn into a "pizza oven"...

Have you guys continued to use your grills for pizza making?  I've actually tried it before, but never with a stone or at such high temperatures.  I'll need to get a thermomitor for my grill as well...

I'd be most concerned about the stone breaking (though like most people say if you use unglazed quarry tiles you don't really have to worry about that), especially on cool down from thermal shock if it cools down too quick outside on a cool night.

I guess I should also ask if anyone has used that “PizzaGrill” that you mention – any good?

Hopefully this thread’ll get some more action now, but if not I’ll post somewhere else in a “new” thread in a couple weeks.
~Waz