Author Topic: Some help please....  (Read 431 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Some help please....
« on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
So now that I have the new oven I can finally make a new style of pizza. Anyways being so new to it I was hoping some questions could save some time from strictly using trial and error. I figured to start this new thread since the questions really aren't about the oven.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting IDY to a good level for a room temp ferment. I used .06 IDY for a batch yesterday at 11PM, balled in the morning at 9AM, and baked at around 1:30PM. My house temp is  around ~73-74F where the dough sits. I'm scared that if I drive down the yeast even lower I may not get consistent results because of the low amount and risk of part of the yeast being dead I am using. I am making only two 225 gram dough balls which was .17 grams of yeast. Is that a real concern? I mean it seemed a bit over-proofed and I didn't even go to 24 hours. My dough didn't so much look over-proofed as is it felt over-proofed -- it felt kind of soupy. Is it possibly just from under mixing? Or maybe because of the hydration %?  I felt like a mixed it a very long time.

One more thing for now, yesterday I made a pizza that looked good, and even though it was soft, it didn't rip or tear very easily and was chewy. I thought once I achieved a nice soft crust that would be enough but it wasn't. I like when the dough feels like it melts in your mouth. Flour type, temperature, and bake time being equal, what is responsible for a melt in your mouth crust?

Here is another bake from today, it was very good and more the melt in your mouth I was looking for. It just didn't open well and wanted to rip because it seemed so wet and soupy. Man I have eaten pizza three days in a row now lol. And tomorrow I go to Brunos.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Some help please....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
Can you post a photo of your new oven? I would love to see it. Thanks.

TomN

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
@Tom, oh ya sorry. We have been having a long convo about it in the pizza equipment forums. Heres is the link.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.0.html

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:48:16 PM »
Jeff,

You might take a look at the opening post at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg62332.html#msg62332 to see if anything resonates with what you have been experiencing.

Peter

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »
Thanks pete, that gives me some good info on the first parts of my questions. I can't believe I missed that great post from 2008  lol