Author Topic: Vidalia Onion  (Read 780 times)

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Vidalia Onion
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
Made a "Italian style Southern " Pizza last night.....a Vidalia Onion- tomatoe pie.   Had some expired cheese (Fresh mozz to be used by June 8th...still tasted good), compari tomatoes, and one helluva electrical storm outside that I decided (since I was hungry as usual) to do pizza in the oven.  Dough was not working as well as usual but stretched enough to make a 16"; then covered with mozz.  Baked 500 for 12 min and then added shredded parm and another 5 min.  Pulled from oven, covered with chopped Vidalia and Compari toms, drizzled with a good olive oil and MAN was that good.  Was going to grab some fresh basil from the garden but rain and lightening scared the crap out of me so went without.  Hope you enjoy the pics.
tom

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: Vidalia Onion
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »
here are the rest of the pics

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Looks lovely.  One thing I like to do is a fine dice of onion mixed directly in with the cheese--they melt into a savory sweetness that is sublime--Kenji did a post about a place that does it this way.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/montes-pizza-in-lynn-or-why-dont-we-see-more-chopped-onion.html?ref=search
I love playing around with different onions on pizza and different ways of prepping them for pizza.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
I'm not a big onions on pizza fan, but every once in a while a make one for others. I've found that if you dice a red onion very fine and also add a very fine dice of red pepper, you can throw them on the pie raw and the bake time gives them just the right amount of cooking to make them tender, sweet and tasty.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:53:21 AM »
I understand about onions, they can be overpowering.  But Vidalia's are super sweet without the bite of most onions and are only available a short time of the year (atleast where I am).  That's why I use them raw.  A big thing when I was a kid was Vidalia, sliced tomatoe, mayo on white bread; easy to make and it was cheap on the pocketbook for mom.   :)
tom

pizzapan