Author Topic: My Ny-ish Style Pizza  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
My Ny-ish Style Pizza
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »
As I stated in my introductory post, this is both my second foray into pizza-making, as well as my second time joining the forum.  I took a self-imposed pizza-making hiatus last fall.

By way of background, I started making pizza in spring of 2010 under the tutelage of my father-in-law, a retired restaurateur and outstanding pizza-maker.  My initial goal was to make Neapolitan style pizza, and I started off with the Big Green Egg (BGE).  After about a year of trial and error and a modicum of success, I moved from the BGE to the 2Stone Inferno Pro.  I continued my Neapolitan efforts with the 2Stone, with the idea of someday building a brick oven.  However, the 2Stone was so easy to adjust to a wide range of temperatures, that I started seriously experimenting with NY-ish style dough recipes in a 600-650 degree/4-minute baking environment.  It turned out that I preferred this style of pizza--(it was closest to what I grew up with in southern NJ)--and I moved away from my Neapolitan pizza efforts.

Last summer, after quasi-perfecting what I thought was a pretty good NY-ish style pizza in the 2Stone, I became concerned that I was growing too focused on pizza…I bet no around here can believe that!  ;D So, I did what any reasonable, patient, mild-mannered person would do…I decided to sell off pretty much my entire pizza-making set-up all at once, and try life as an ex-pizza-maker.

Well, long story short, it did not take…too many questions from the kids as to when we would be having pizza nights again, too much imploring from the friends for some decent pizza, and an overall recognition on my part that when you are passionate about something, that something should not be taken lightly.  So, this spring, three-years after I started my pizza-making journey, I decided to restart the process.

This time I knew I wanted to focus on NY-ish style pizza--(disclaimer here for scott123: Scott I am well aware that many of the features of my pizza-making style are not authentic in the traditional NY style of pizza that you are such an ardent defender of, hence my -ish suffix  ;D).  My biggest concern was the type of oven/s I would employ in this go around.  I was very happy with my 2Stone Inferno Pro, but I really wanted to be able to make 2 pizzas at one time…because of the target 4 minute or so bake time I was after and the 250 gram 11-12inch pizzas I planned on making, I felt the ability to make 2 pizzas simultaneously would really improve my ability to feed a crowd of guests.

I considered purchasing 2 2Stone Infernos for the job, but the cost was prohibitive.  I looked at the 2-deck countertop pizza ovens out there, but scott123's impressions of most of the readily available models gave me great pause.  It was in reading his reviews of these countertop 2-deck ovens that I first uncovered scott123's ideas about the effectiveness of baking on a steel plate in a robust home oven--(thanks again Scott!!).  The more I read about it, the more I was impressed, as I really never considered a conventional home oven as a viable option because of the temperature limitations in modern home ovens.  The wheels really started spinning, and I began researching home ovens.

That is when it hit me…a double oven…I might be able to bake my NY-ish style pizzas simultaneously in a double oven using 2 1/2 inch steel plates, one in each oven…BINGO!  I settled on the Maytag double oven below...See the 1st attachment:

Both ovens have a maximum bake temperature of 550 degrees, and exposed broiler elements at the top of each oven.

I purchased 1/2 steel plates from the Baking Steel company, and positioned them in both ovens so that the steel plates are each approximately 5 inches below the exposed top  broiler element..See the 2nd attachment:

I pre-heated them for about an hour at 550 degrees, at which point they both registered in the 530 degree range using my Infrared temperature gun.  Then, I switched the Broiler on the High in both ovens, let the Broiler cycle for several minutes, and hit them with the temperature gun again...See the 3rd attachment:

There it is…that 575+ degree temperature I was looking for on the steel…now I knew this set-up was capable of producing decent Ny-ish style pizza, so let's get to it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:41:40 AM by Falcor »

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My Ny-ish Style Pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
Part II...

My Ny-ish Dough:
Better for Bread Flour (1762 grams)
Cold Tap Water (969 grams)
Himalayan Sea Salt (35 grams)
Brown Sugar (24 grams)
Pork Lard (58 grams) ***This is my dough secret; I render the Lard myself from backfat I get from a family farm in Vermont that pasture raises all of their pigs…it gives the dough a pork-tastic quality!
1 medium size fresh egg
ADY (7 grams)

10 minutes total mixing time in Bosch UP, and then a 10-minute bulk rest on the counter…yields 10 250 gram dough-balls for me, and 1 175+- dough ball for each of my boys...dough is balled and then cold fermented in the refrigerator for 48-72 hours.

My Tomato Sauce:

50/50 combination of Stanislaus 7/11 and Full Red Pizza Sauce…Previously I employed 100% 7/11's, and that is what I will return too when I finish this batch off.

My Cheese:

50 percent Grande Whole Milk mozzarella + 50 percent Grande 50/50 Blend--(which equates to 25 percent part-skim mozzarella & 25 percent Provo-Nello provolone)--Plus, a pinch small pinch of parmigiano-reggiano x 10.

My pizza-making station...See attachment #1 &#2...Note the eyes of the brown "pizza-vacuum" on the left..aka Lucy: the Labrador.

Finally, tonight's pizzas…this is my third pizza-making session using this set-up…all pizza were baked for 4.5 minutes with both ovens set to Broil on Hi after the steel plates had been pre-heated at 550 degrees for 45 minutes:

1) Cheese--dough, tomato sauce, and cheese..See attachments #3,4,&5:

2) Filetti--dough, fresh cherry tomatoes, olive oil, fresh garlic, oregano, and a tiny amount of salt..basil added post bake...See Attachment #6:

3) Pepperoni+--dough, tomato sauce, fresh garlic, fresh onion, sliced kalamata olives, Vermont Smoke&Cure Pepperoni, and Sicilian anchovies added post bake...See attachment #7:

4) Spicy Tomato Pie--dough, cheese, tomato sauce on top, sliced peppadews, and calabrian chili oil--(thanks TXCraig)--added post bake...See attachment #8:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:47:07 AM by Falcor »

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »
Part III

5) Mustard Pie--(thanks Norma for your mustard pizza thread)--French's Yellow mustard, Kewpie mayonnaise, cheese, a lot of fresh onion...See attachment #1:

6) Kimchi Pizza--sauce--(Shark Brand Sriracha + Kewpie mayonnaise + Red Boat fish sauce + juice of two lime wedges), Real Pickles Kimchi, cheese…sounds weird, I know, but for anyone that likes Asian style food, this is my own creation and it is awesome...See attachment #2

And, finally the best part of the whole process:

(L) Pizzaiolo in training #1--(aka Sam) & (R) Pizzaiolo in training #2--(aka Leo)...See attachments #3 &4.

It is great to be back on this forum.  My sincere gratitude to all the talented regular contributors and moderators that make this forum such a unique place.

I look forward to continuing to share and learn with everyone, and maybe I can figure out how to improve my photography along the way.  ;D

Happy Father's Day to you all of you Dads out there, and to all you Moms out there, you know, we know, and most importantly the children know, we could not do it without you!!!

Adam
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:11:58 AM by Falcor »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »
Adam,

Happy Father's Day!  I see you are and were on the pizza making journey.  Looks like you are having lots of fun.  I like your different approach this time and your pizzas.  Your little pizzaiolos in training sure look like they were having fun.

I am also glad you tried the Mustard Pie.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Nice pies and cute boys.  Happy Fathers day and welcome back.

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:51:53 AM »
Posted by: Jackie Tran
Nice pies...

Posted by: norma427
Adam,Happy Father's Day!...

Thanks Norma and Chau...you are both excellent NY Style pizza-makers!

Adam

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Adam,  great looking pies.  You call your lab a pizza vacuum, I am sure the boys try their best to keep up.

Offline bjshaver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
Looking good!

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:58:57 AM »
Adam,

Glad to see you're back into pizza making -- and in a BIG way. 

Really informative post.  Thanks for sharing the info on your oven and your dough recipe.  Very unique.  I've never seen anyone add an egg to pizza dough, but it's something I've thought about -- especially after making chocolate chip cookies last weekend.  :)

Also thanks for your reminder to include the little ones in the process.  Sometimes I get too "protective" of my dough and my little guy feels left out.  I'll be making him his own little dough ball from now on.  Brilliant.

Hope to see more of your creations!

--Tim

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 05:25:06 AM »
Not only informative but well organized and well written to boot.

Peter

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
Posted by: RockyMountainPie
Adam, Glad to see you're back into pizza making -- and in a BIG way. Really informative post...

Tim,

Thanks! 

I got the egg idea from a widely available video on YouTube by Bruno Difabio about his version of NY Style pizza dough...I really liked how the dough came out with the addition of the egg, and have stuck with it since.

Working with the boys, although it can definitely be trying at times, is really the best part of the process for me, and the unique bonding we experience through our pizza making process is the most significant reason I got back into to it.  One tip: my boys each make their own pizza after I have finished making my roster of pies for the evening...by that point everyone is full, I have had the opportunity to focus and attempt to accomplish my pizza making objectives, the boys have practiced patience, and the atmosphere is relaxed to the point that the boys can just have at it, with my mindset geared toward B.F. Skinner's concept that
A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
...the dog is also very useful and appreciative at this point of the proceedings  :D

I will be making this weekend's dough this evening, and hope to have more pictures up this weekend...Adam     

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
Posted by: Pete-zza
Not only informative but well organized and well written to boot.

Peter,

Thanks...coming from you, I take that as a real compliment!

Adam

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
Wow, what a first(-ish) post!  I think it's obvious that you've been doing some serious lurking  ;D

Re; the NY-ishness... you know the archetypal mountain Buddhist temple with the thousand steps leading up to it?  Well, it looks like you put in hours climbing all the steps, but you're not opening the door and walking in.  I'm sure the view from the top step is exhilarating, and your present pizzas are equally as majestic, but the temple is worth a visit- at least once  ;D

You're so close.  Lose the egg, swap out white for brown sugar, drop the thickness factor, and you're there.

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »
Scott,

I was eagerly awaiting your response...thanks.  ;D

Thickness Factor is a concept I do not specifically understand...I get it in the general sense...but I am not sure how to apply it. 

I am planning to try four different size dough balls this weekend--(225 gram, 235 gram, 240 gram, and 250gram)--all stretched out to approximately the same +-12 inch pie...that will obviously get me different thickness levels...is that the concept?

Adam

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »
Tonight's Pies:

Okay…this evenings pizzas differ from my posting last week in two areas based on suggestions from Scott123--(thanks Scott!):

1) The thickness-factor of these pies is significantly less than last week's…I eventually figured out how to calculate thickness-factor using the forum's awesome Expanded Dough Calculation Tool…the thickness-factor of these pies is 0.07--(see the complete dough formula below); and,
2) I replaced the brown sugar I was using in the dough with regular white sugar.

Dough Formula--(yielded 12 dough balls):
Flour    (100%)      1624.3 g / 57.3 oz / 3.58 lbs
Water  (55%)        893.43 g/ 31.5 oz / 1.97 lbs
ADY      (.4%)         6.5 g / 0.23 oz / 0.57 tsp
Salt       (2%)          32.49 g / 1.15 oz / 1.94 tsp
Sugar    (1.4%)      22.74 g / 0.8 oz /  1.9 tsp
Lard      (3.3%)      53.61 g / 1.89 oz / 4.12 tbsp
Egg        (3.7%)      60.1 g / 2.12 oz / 3.96 tbsp--(sorry Scott, but the Egg stays  :o)
Total     (165.8%)  2693.3 g / 95 oz / 5.94 lbs / TF = 0.07

Single Ball: 224.44 g / 7.97 oz / 0.49 lbs

The reduced thickness factor was a major improvement for this week's pies, and is something I will definitely stick with for the +-12 inch pies I am making; stretching the dough at this thickness-factor is more challenging, however.  I could not notice any real difference with the sugar change.

1) Cheese…see attachments #1,2,&3;

2) Filetti…see attachment #4;

3) Clam pie--dough, cheese, chopped Maine clams, fresh garlic, olive oil, chopped peppadews, Italian parsley, lemon wedge per individual's taste preference…see attachment #5;

4) Garlic & Onion-- dough, cheese, lots of fresh garlic added in layers, and lots of fresh sliced onion added in layers…this one is real nostalgic for my wife and me…it is based on a pie from sadly the long since closed JJ's Grotto right outside of Rittenhouse Square in Center City Philadelphia…got served my first official establishment beer there when I was a mere 1* >:D…see attachment #6; and, 

5) Leftovers--we ate 4 pies tonight, so that leaves 8 for the week…yes!...see attachment #7.

Adam 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:26:31 AM by Falcor »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
Good looking pies Adam.

And I thought I had leftovers.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
Posted by: TXCraig1
Good looking pies Adam.

Thanks Craig...you are a most impressive pizzaiolo, and awesome chef in general...I have especially learned a lot from your non-pizza food posts!

I figure you must have a day-job that currently prevents you from opening your own place, but when you hit your number, I sincerely hope you do open a place...neapolitan pizza and wood-fired grilled steak...I will definitely make a trip to TX for the experience, with special bottle of bourbon for the bar.

Adam 

pizzapan