Author Topic: Anybody remember the old Godfather's pizza from the early 80's?  (Read 995 times)

Offline bird333

• I Love Pizza!
I still remember this pizza from 30+ years ago.  It was the best with all that cheese over the top of everything.  I didn't think it was possible for it to get any better and then they came out with the deep dish.  It had a buttery crust and a chunky tomato sauce that was even better than the original.   Does anyone have a clone recipe for either of these?

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!

Offline bird333

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Anybody remember the old Godfather's pizza from the early 80's?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:37:43 AM »
Thanks for the response but based on the pictures it looks like that thread is trying to recreate the 'new' Godfathers pizza.  I had the 'new' version several years ago and it is not near as good as the version from the early 80's.  I would like to get a clone of those.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Anybody remember the old Godfather's pizza from the early 80's?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
I not only remember it, I use to work at one.

The year was 1982 and I was in college and doing this part time.  I can still remember customers peeling the cheese off the pizza and leaving the dough. they had the best cheese, but the dough never was that great.

I can still see myself putting the dough ball through a pizza sheeting machine two times and then laying that dough over the greased pizza pan. Pressing the dough out to the edges of the pan, then using a rolling pin and to cut off the edges for a finished crust. Perforating the surface of the dough with a perforating wheel (Docking the dough). Putting on a scoop of pizza sauce and the shaking the pizza to get it all around the pizza.  Adding the cheese and requested toppings. LOL I did enjoy the job for a little while.

They did have really good tasting cheese.  I visited a God Fathers pizza recently and the cheese was still good, but the dough was the same. Thanks for the post. It brought back some memories for me.

TomN
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:31:56 PM by TomN »

pizzapan