Author Topic: Advice On Dough Processing  (Read 611 times)

Offline wsonner

Advice On Dough Processing
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:46 AM »
My crusts are good.  People really love them.  But I want to make them better!  Some of the things I am not satisified with:

1.  Laminations are too compressed...not real airy.
2.  Burning around the edges. 

Well, ok, I guess that's it, ahahah.  I thought I had a longer list.  Here is my recipe:

Flour              100.00%  (Sir Galahad which is just the same as KA AP)
Water            48.00%
Salt               1.75%
Crisco            1.50%
Sugar            1.00%
NF Dry Milk    1.00%
ADY              0.50%

Here is my process:

24 Hours before needed.

1. Measure flour, salt and NF DM and throw into mixer (Kitchenaide Commercial, NSF cert, dough hook) and mix thoroughly.
2.  Add Crisco and mix more.
3.  Measure ADY, sugar and water (at 100 degrees by thermometer) and let it proof until it "blooms".\
4.  Add water/yeast to mixer and mix to incorporate all ingredients then "knead" in mixer for 4 minutes.
5.  Weigh dough balls, coat in olive oil then into proofing pans and immediately into fridge.

3 Hours before baking I pull the dough balls out to warm up.

Here is the rolling process:

1.  Sheet dough ball on thickest setting.
2.  Letter fold and sheet again on same setting.
3.  letter fold again. Sheet again.
4.  Sheet in decreasing thicknesses until I have a 16" square.
5.  Measure and cut 16" skin.
6.  Place on "seasoned" screen.
7.  Add sauce and paint the edges with sauce with a brush.  Sauce all the way out to the edges.
8.  Top.
9.  Bake at 475 for 8 -10 minutes in my double stone pizza oven (Nemco 6205-240 Countertop Pizza Oven 240V).
10.  Final 2 minutes remove from screen and bake directly on the stone for crisping.

So there it is...can anyone give me advice on how to improve my recipe, process and handling?

Wes

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Advice On Dough Processing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »
Wes;
Here is what I would suggest:
1) Delete the NFDM to reduce the crust burning on the edges.
2) Continue managing the dough as you are, but after you sheet the dough the first time , before giving it the first 3-fold, brush some melted Crisco over 2/3 of the dough surface, then fold the dry side over onto 1/2 of the side with Crisco, then fold the final 1/3 over on top so you will now have layers of dough and fat. Let the dough rest long enough to sheet it out again and repeat with another 3-fold and Crisco addition. Allow the dough to rest again until the dough can again be sheeted. This time give the dough a 3-fold but without and fat addition, then put into the fridge to rest overnight. On the following day, remove dough from fridge, allow to temper at room temperature until the dough can be easily formed to fit your pan. Use a greased or oiled pan, allow the dough to rise in the pan for about 45-minutes (you may need to experiment to find the best time to give you exactly what you are looking for), then dress and bake.
Note: Each time the dough is sheeted it should be sheeted 90 degrees from the direction is was previously sheeted.
If the dough is sized for just a single pizza, some people like to fold the dough that last time so it just fits into the pan. Be sure to place the dough into the pan so any overlapping dough edges are placed down.
Let me know how if this gets you closed to where you want to be.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline wsonner

Re: Advice On Dough Processing
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »
Thank you Tom!

One thing I forgot to mention was I am aiming for a TF  around .08.

For timing sake I may skip the second overnight in the fridge unless you think that is really a critical step...only because it means I'd have to start my prep on Wed or Thurs for the weekend run.

Wes

pizzapan