Author Topic: Wisconsin Brick cheese online  (Read 832 times)

Offline pjbear05

Wisconsin Brick cheese online
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
Does anyone know of an online source for Wisconsin Brick cheese?  I want to use it to supplement the Mozz I'm using in my Detroit styles, and there is none available locally.  Thanks
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline Musky

Re: Wisconsin Brick cheese online
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
I don't know exactly what brand of brick is commonly used in the Detroit pies, but Widmer makes an excellent brick.  Not cheap, though.

Kevin

http://www.widmerscheese.com/products/Vac-Pack-Whole-Mild-Specialty-Brick-5-lb.html

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:58:44 AM »
Not Wisconsin, but I know a small cheese producer in central NY state who is making several cheeses, brick included. I have a small block which I have yet to try on pizza, but will after the holidays. I have been in touch with him about possible mail order in the future, if you think you might be interested message me off this thread and I can give you more details.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »
Does anyone know of an online source for Wisconsin Brick cheese?  I want to use it to supplement the Mozz I'm using in my Detroit styles, and there is none available locally.  Thanks

pfbear,

When I was hunting for brick cheese for my Detroit style pizzas on this thread  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.0.html  I found Eddie's brick cheese http://www.mandifoods.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=141  The Eddie's brick cheese did work out well, but I found that using a mild white cheddar or a mild white cheddar mozzarella blend also worked out well.  I like the added taste of the cheddar.  I don't know if you want to make a Detroit style Buddy's pizza, but I did have a frozen Buddy's pizza shipped to me in the thread referenced above and their brick cheese did not taste that special to me and Steve. If you use the search feature in my thread and use “brick” as the search word, without the apostrophes, you can see all of the brick cheeses I tried or read more about brick cheeses.

I recently tried this cheese blend on two other pizzas, and although I did not try them on a Detroit style pizza, I would think they would go well on a Detroit style pizza.  If you want to see a photo of what those two cheeses looked like on a Greek style pizza I can provide a link to the photo.

I did try Widmer's brick cheese.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
pfbear,

When I was hunting for brick cheese for my Detroit style pizzas on this thread  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.0.html  I found Eddie's brick cheese http://www.mandifoods.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=141  The Eddie's brick cheese did work out well, but I found that using a mild white cheddar or a mild white cheddar mozzarella blend also worked out well.  I like the added taste of the cheddar.  I don't know if you want to make a Detroit style Buddy's pizza, but I did have a frozen Buddy's pizza shipped to me in the thread referenced above and their brick cheese did not taste that special to me and Steve. If you use the search feature in my thread and use “brick” as the search word, without the apostrophes, you can see all of the brick cheeses I tried or read more about brick cheeses.

I recently tried this cheese blend on two other pizzas, and although I did not try them on a Detroit style pizza, I would think they would go well on a Detroit style pizza.  If you want to see a photo of what those two cheeses looked like on a Greek style pizza I can provide a link to the photo.

I did try Widmer's brick cheese.

Norma

Thanks Norma, we've been using the search with some results. I can understand the frozen Buddy's pizza being so-so, hey it's frozen!  I'm interested in the Detroit style clones, being a born and raised East side Detroit native who ate many a Buddy's and Shield's pizza at both chains' original locations. 

At one time Publix,  one of the major grocery chains in FL,  marketed their own brand of brick cheese, which I would mix with whole milk Mozz for my pies.  Then around 8years ago they just stopped marketing the cheese, and never brought it back.  Oh well onward with the search!

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
 ;D Well, the hunt is over.  Found the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board site, which linked me to some online cheese sources, which I am now checking out.  :drool:

http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/where_to_buy/default.aspx

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »
@pjbear05

Let me know how you make out, I finally tried the cheese I have which I gave you some information about and it was very good, although it's the only brick cheese I've ever had so I have nothing to compare it to. It tasted like a cross of mozzarella and fresh cheddar cheese curds if that makes any sense.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:55:19 PM »
@pjbear05

Let me know how you make out, I finally tried the cheese I have which I gave you some information about and it was very good, although it's the only brick cheese I've ever had so I have nothing to compare it to. It tasted like a cross of mozzarella and fresh cheddar cheese curds if that makes any sense.
Awaiting reply from Lowville.  6 or 7 of the sources from the WMMB site have what I'm looking for, at widely ranging prices.  But shipping prices-Jeez!

In the meantime I'm beefing to the local yokels that had the stuff to bring it back.

pizzapan