Author Topic: Papa Del's  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Papa Del's
« on: August 17, 2005, 08:16:20 AM »
Tonight will be a Papa Dels pizza night using Steve's recipe.  I didn't hear back from him on the weight of the flour so I am making a guess at it.

Here is the way I am going to try it based on Steve's recipe.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/papadels.php
Modified Steve's Papa Dels recipe

17 oz KA bread flour
1 Cup water 120F
1/3 cup powdered milk
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 Package SAF Instant Dry Yeast

In a heavy-duty mixer (e.g., KitchenAid), add 1/2 flour, yeast sugar butter powdered milk. Run mixer on stir speed for 2 minutes using paddle attachment then add the very warm water slowly with the mixer still on stir speed. after adding the water let it run for 5 more minutes.  Change to dough hook.  Add the rest of the flour and after the ball forms switch to speed two for 5 minutes. Cover and allow dough to rise for 2 hours. Punch down the dough, knead briefly, and allow to rise and additional 2 hours until approximately doubled in bulk.
Grease a 10" deep-dish pizza pan. Roll the crust to fit the pan. The edges should come to the top of the pan. Take the sliced cheese and layer it on the bottom. Take some of the sauce and spread it on the cheese. Take more of the cheese and spread a layer. Continue, but try to end up with mostly sauce on top. (The cheese will overcook if it's exposed on top.)

Bake 45 minutes at 425 degrees F. Serves 4 *hungry* people

« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 02:40:35 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
Re: Papa Del's
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 03:09:29 PM »
Well this made a very dry dough so I would say the flour weight should be 16oz instead of 17oz of flour and even at that it will be stiff.  I added more water to compensate.  I used bread flour because Papa Dels is describes as bread like and for that same reason I used powdered milk instead of regular milk.  What still bothers me is this is a lot of dough for a single 10" pan.  Like all new recipes it is filled with doubt until the final product.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 04:53:55 PM »
The water temperature should be room temperature i think.  I had to place the dough in the cooler to slow it down.  I figured the SAF method would not work on this but what the heck, you have to start somewhere.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 06:19:24 PM »
Rolled it out and there was quite a bit of dough leftover even though the crust was close to 1/2" thick.  Still not surprised any new recipe takes practice and an understanding of the nuance.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:44:24 PM »
My version gets two thumbs down.  It cook in 30 min and not 45 minutes in Steve's recipe.

Randy

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 12:56:59 AM »
Doesnt look so bad to me :)

How is the crust? Could you taste the powdered milk at all? How does this crust compare to buzz's Giordano's crust?

Thanks,
-Allan

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 07:52:49 AM »
Don't be fooled by the pictures, it was the crust that was bland with little definition beyond that it was bread like.  The powdered milk is a common ingredient in some of the very best breads.  I use it in several recipes.  I've not tried Buzz's recipe because of the amount of oil used.  I think his or DKM Chicago would taste great but I am going back to my non authentic Chicago recipe that uses a little cornmeal in the crust.  The addition of Semolina is good if you limit the amount to say 2 tablespoons per pound of flour but over that it hurts the flavor in my opinion.  Keep in mind I lay no claim to being an expert.  I think Buzz is your man for a Chicago.

Randy

Offline buzz

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »
Randy--

I would try to fill-oil deep dish recipe just once for comparison purposes (it is a lot of fat!).

We used to love Papa Del's back in the U of I days, and I wish I could remember what the crust was like--my memory equates it with a Giordano's-style, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. It was very tomato-y, if I recall. I should take a little trip back down there and taste-test all the pizzas!

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 06:52:37 AM »
Randy--

I would try to fill-oil deep dish recipe just once for comparison purposes (it is a lot of fat!).

We used to love Papa Del's back in the U of I days, and I wish I could remember what the crust was like--my memory equates it with a Giordano's-style, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. It was very tomato-y, if I recall. I should take a little trip back down there and taste-test all the pizzas!

I was down there last, about 8 years ago. Very disappointing. Most of the good places from the 80's were gone. Del's is still there. I hear Garcia's is awful. From what I understand, it's even sadder down there now. Hell, even the Domino's is totally different.

Offline andrek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 07:52:21 PM »
I fear even Del's is suffering. Last two times there was dissappointed. It has always been my modle, but lately my own pizza seems better. But in years past Del's was untouchable. Not sure what's up. Very afraid Pops is giving up the shop...

AK

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
Can someone please explain why scalding the milk is required?  What's the purpose?

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 04:14:26 PM »
And one other thing... me thinks the recipe is incorrect.  While I failed on the "add flour slowly" part, I did the rest like I should have, the dry vs wet ingredients seem to be way off.  I had to add a fair amount of water. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 08:05:17 PM »
Scalding of milk is usually done to disable some enzyme (or possibly a protein) in milk that is believed to interfere with proper fermentation. This notion goes back to times when milk was not pasteurized, so it's not really clear whether scalding of milk is necessary anymore. Professional bakers and pizza operators use a high-heat baker's grade milk in dried form. It's more convenient to work with and you don't have to worry about spoilage, regulatory issues, etc.

Peter

Offline thefranklincrew

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 08:08:39 PM »
Being a Papa del's fan myself I had to try this recipe online. I have relatives that still in Champaign so we frequent papa dels when we visit the kin folk. I was there about a month ago before I found this recipe and experimented with it a little to get what I think is a pretty comparable recipe with the current Papa dels (papa dels has gone through a couple of crust recipes in their many years of business according to my g'pa who experienced some of the first pizza to come out of papa del's). Here is the current recipes I have been using lately:

Yield: 1-14" pizza

Crust:   
     2 Cups Milk
    2 Tbsp. Butter
    2 Tbsp. Sugar
   2 tsp. Salt
   2Package Instant Dry Yeast
   5-6 cups of all purpose flour

Like the recipe on this website, I scalded the milk and added the butter, sugar, and salt. Let this portion cool to luke warm and add the yeast.  I do not have an electric mixer so I add one cup of flour at a time and stir until the mixture is no longer sticky and able to be kneaded. Knead the dough for several minutes and let the dough rise til doubled (approx. 1.5 hours to 2)and then roll it in the pan , brush the crust with olive oil and let it rise about another 30 min. before adding the toppings.
For the toppings I do the easy thing and take sandwhich pre-sliced provolone cheese (usually approx. 6oz)and completely cover the crust. then I add what ever toppings we want and cover them 16 oz of shredded mozzerella cheese. I go ahead and put this in the oven and cook for 15 minutes at 375 F. Then I bump the temp up to 400 and add the sauce for the last 20-30 minutes. Sometimes I take the pizza out early if I don't want the crust quite as done.
Here is the recipe I use for the sauce:

1 16 oz tomato puree
Basil    1-1/4 t
Oregano  3/4t
Thyme 3/4t
Parsley   1 T
Black Pepper   3/4t
Granulated Garlic  3/4 t
Granulated Onion   1/2 t
Salt   1 t
Sugar    1 t
Virgin Olive Oil   3 t

I usually start this before I start the crust and let it simmer for 3 or 4 hours.

Let me know if this turns out differently than the last one you made!

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »
Sounds good! I havn't made a Papa Del's pizza in quite some time (had a real one last summer!)... I'm anxious to try your recipe. Thanks!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.