Author Topic: Fiamme - Naperville, IL  (Read 962 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Fiamme - Naperville, IL
« on: June 22, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
This will be my first Neo dining experience.  Will post pics and review later.  Any suggestions on what I should order?  I heard their Burrata appetizer is tops on their menu.

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/fiammepizza_1?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fiammepizza.com%2Fhome%2F&dm_redirected=true#2888
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:32:17 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline shuboyje

first time I've ever seen Valoriani ovens finished to look like Neapolitan ovens, kinda interesting.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

first time I've ever seen Valoriani ovens finished to look like Neapolitan ovens, kinda interesting.

And it makes this an interesting quote: "Brick ovens are almost as old as history itself, dating back thousands of years. Neapolitan brick ovens are known for for their low interior dome design and solid, 5000-pound construction from Vesuvian materials. These ovens are designed to withstand a constant 900 degree heat, fueled by wood. Traditional Neapolitan pizzas are rotated in the oven by the pizzaiolo and are perfectly cooked in under 90 seconds." http://www.fiammepizza.com/home/?page_id=109

Notice they didn't say "our oven."

I guess the deception is not particularly surprising given that the page starts with a picture pirated from Adam Kuban at Slice: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/01/glossary-crust-terminology.html

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
I'd recommend driving up to the north part of Chicago and giving Spacca a visit. Just make it a little day trip. It's only an hour away from you.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
@craig- Thats crazy they stole that picture. If scroll down and look at the only picture of a done pie, that is also one of Kubel's pictures. It is a pie from Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland Oregon.

Offline TXCraig1

@craig- Thats crazy they stole that picture. If scroll down and look at the only picture of a done pie, that is also one of Kubel's pictures. It is a pie from Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland Oregon.

That's really crazy! Who puts a picture of pizza from some other pizzeria on their website???

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/portland-oregon-kens-artisan-pizza.html

Offline scott123

This could also be the first time Roberto (APN) has certified a pizzeria using a Valoriani oven.  I think that aspect is more disappointing than it is interesting.

Nate, I'm sure you're already aware of this, but try and time a bake.

I've had Roberto's burrata- both on pizza and as an app, and it didn't blow me away.  It might be cultural conditioning, though. He's also a renowned cheese guy, so perhaps I was expecting too much.

I don't know why they don't offer a plain margherita with bufala.  I have no issues with oven roasted tomatoes- I just don't want them on a traditional bufala marg. Nate, special order a plain margherita, but substitute the bufala for the fior di latte (and agree to the $2 additional charge) and... ask them to omit the pecorino.  While there's nothing wrong with pecorino on a margherita, for your first pie, I think you should stick to tradition, and, more importantly, pecorino is incredibly easy to overdo. A lot of people mistakenly sprinkle pecorino like reggiano- and it tends to overpower a pizza in that quantity.

Other than that, the soppresata is an upscale pepperoni analog and a crowd pleaser. You definitely want something with meat.  If your table is more sausage fans than pepperoni, get the sausage.

A prosciutto and arugula pie is another important Neapolitan standard, imo. I'm sure you're aware of this, but confirm that they don't cook the prosciutto.

If the pesto is made in house, that might be worth getting. If you want to go really crazy, you could take a page out of Starita's book and combine the sausage and pesto in another special order.

Speaking of special orders, whatever you go with, pay the surcharge and get bufala on at least one of the non marg pies- perhaps the prosciutto and arugula.

Everybody always feels obligated to get the Montanara (fried pizza), but it rarely lives up to expectations.  You won't be able to fight the urge- but try to temper your expectations  ;D

How many people are you going with?  If you go with all my recommendations, you might be taking a lot of pizza home with you  ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:32:04 PM by scott123 »

Offline TXCraig1

Everybody always feels obligated to get the Montanara (fried pizza), but it rarely lives up to expectations.  You won't be able to fight the urge- but try to temper your expectations  ;D

If you think you might order a montanara, bring a little baggie of powdered sugar or some honey to put on the bones.  ;D

Offline scott123

If you think you might order a montanara, bring a little baggie of powdered sugar or some honey to put on the bones.  ;D

Or even some hot honey, if you've got it  ;D The hot honey wouldn't be bad drizzled on the soppressata either.

And, if you're bringing stuff, you could always smuggle in a jar of calabrian chili's  ;D The calabrian's work well post-bake, right Craig?

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member

And, if you're bringing stuff, you could always smuggle in a jar of calabrian chili's

If you're smuggling, based on the website pics, you may need to smuggle in some pizza too.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:04:10 PM by jeffereynelson »

Offline dhorst

State fair collides with pizza = two very happy teenagers of mine! :-D
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline pythonic

Sorry but went early and missed the margherita request from Scott but we ended up starting with the Burrata and then got the sopresatta pie and the kalamative olive, artichoke and mushroom.  The Burrata was decent but it's the 1st time I've had it altogether.  There didnt seen to be as much leoprading as I see on here.  They also had a more new yorkish look than neo.  We thought both pies were good.  7.5 range out of 10.  i thought the end crust could have been more tender but ive never had one to compare it too.  Pies baked in 90 seconds and we found out they are using a cake yeast and not a starter.

Nate
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:31:19 AM by pythonic »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
If you're smuggling, based on the website pics, you may you need to smuggle in some pizza too.

:-D I've eaten there and concur.

Offline pythonic

Re: Fiamme - Naperville, IL
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
I just beat the pants off this place with bouncer flour and a 4:20 bake.