Author Topic: Santarpio's  (Read 2428 times)

Offline ebpizza

Santarpio's
« on: January 11, 2005, 09:47:18 AM »
Anyone else been there?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Santarpio's
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:14:54 PM »
Some friends took me there several years ago, just after I flew into Logan.  For those not familiar with Santarpio's, it is in East Boston, close by the airport, and a good stopping off point going to or coming from the airport.  I wasn't big into pizza making or analysis at the time, but my recollection of the pizza is that it was very good--a thin crust pizza.  The place has been around forever and is a real "joint', without any decor to speak of.  And they serve only one size of pizza--12-inch.  The place still seems to be really popular and continues to show up on the lists of "best pizza" places around Boston.

Peter

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
I will revive this old thread with a review. I just spent the afternoon at Santarpios with some friends, and a) it is hands down some of the best pizza I have eaten in Boston, b) is the most quintessential old, old school neighborhood Boston joints you could ever conjure up, and c) has surprisingly amazing grilled sausage served with hot cherry peppers that brought me back to my childhood in New York. Wash it all down with the champagne of beers and it can't get much better.

We ordered a cheese, a "meat lovers" and an anchovy/olive. The tomatoes and cheese were just stellar. Super flavorful and seasoned well. The crust was a same day dough, nice and chewy and nothing to write home about. But the toppings were so good, I did not care. The anchovy, or "fish" pie as they called it, was one of the best I have ever eaten. Perfectly balanced application of the briny bits.

We then took the tunnel from East Boston under the harbor and hit Modern Pastry in the North End for some cannoli and sfogliatelle.

Please excuse the horrible pictures - the lighting was very dark. The pizza looked much better than in the pics.

John

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
ANY Time we fly into/out of Boston we stop at Santarpio's. Its a great place and the flavors and pie characteristics haven't changed in the thirty years that I've been going!

This was from our visit last week.

John K

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:46:51 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!