Author Topic: Pizza Farcita Pugliese  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Anthony A

• Sunday Sauce Diary
Pizza Farcita Pugliese
« on: August 25, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
This was inspired by Gabriele Bonci's Recipe on Italian television http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqK2TXUrFg. It was an 80% Hydration Dough made of Semola Rimacinata and 20% Starter. The top and underside were coated with Breadcrumb and Oregano and the center was filled and baked with Rapini, Sausage, Caciocavallo Silano and Cherry Peppers that we all sauteed in EVO prior to baking.

Offline parallei

Re: Pizza Farcita Pugliese
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »
Thanks for the tip Anthony.  Mine needs a bit more work.  The  Semola Rimacinata was a first for me.  I also used a starter.

Offline Anthony A

• Sunday Sauce Diary
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:06:53 AM »
I think we all strive for a nice crumb, but to quote Marco Pierre White "It's about eating!"  Technical perfection is secondary to the eating experience. I am sure that your pizza was satisfying. I know mine was even though I achieved less than satisfying hole structure on top. Here is my latest effort at a Farcita.

This time I used Bread Flour with the same level of hydration and percentage of starter as used previously. This was probably my best effort to date hand mixing and using the Bonci stretch and fold method. My previous handmade attempts were flops. This Farcita was baked with Spinach and then stuffed post bake with Mortadella, Mozzarella, Spinach and Pistachio Pesto and some Lemon Juice. This made for one heck of a sandwich!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »
Those all look great. I've seen other videos where Bonci fills them with broccoli, cauliflower, and other green leafy vegetables.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Anthony A

• Sunday Sauce Diary
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
Thanks Johnny. I appreciate it, especially since you are putting out some of the nicest pies that I have seen anywhere.

It seems Bonci will stick anything between 2 pieces of dough, including proteins. Most recently at Paulie Gee's in NYC he baked off some Chicken Legs and Pork Neck in a crust. His creativity with pizza is boundless.

Offline parallei

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »
I've tried the focaccia pugliese a few more times and have had the best luck at about 75% HR; 75% Semola Rimacinata + 25% KABF; 2% Salt; 2% Oil, and a bit of boiled potato as many of the recipes (and a friend in Taranto) recommend.  When "stuffed" a TF of about .12 seems to work for each piece.  For me, the Semola Rimacinata seems to need a real gentle hand.