Author Topic: Good Evening from England!  (Read 177 times)

Offline iainks

• I Love Pizza!
Good Evening from England!
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »
Hello!
I've just joined up and would be very grateful for some advice! We run a handful of delis and coffee shops in the south-west of UK and take our coffee, charcuterie, cheese, sandwiches etc. very seriously (we've won awards for best sandwiches in UK a couple of times over the years..)
Anyway, to cut a long story short we want to use some of the superb ingredients we sell to make proper pizza in two of our sites. In an ideal world we'd install wood-fired ovens but in one site there simply isn't the room.
In a nutshell, is it possible to make top quality Neapolitan pizza in an electric deck oven and, if so, does anyone have any recommendations.
Thanks
Iain

scott123

Re: Good Evening from England!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:18:07 PM »
Iain, welcome to the forum. There's not a lot of options for authentic Neapolitan in an electric oven.

What kind of volume are you hoping to do?

An Italian countertop recently emerged that's been showing some promise.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25011.0.html

We can't get these here in the U.S., but you can get them in the U.K.

I'm not sure what kind of volume these can do, though.

For high volume,  you need one of the high temp Pizzamaster ovens, a Swedish oven company. That's what Jeff Varasano uses.

http://www.varasanos.com/Photos950/

Jeff doesn't do a pure Neapolitan pie, but I'm relatively certain a pizzamaster can do that bake time.

Are you sure that you have the necessary demographic to appreciate Neapolitan pizza?  I can't speak for the Southwest, but the Brighton area up until very recently was a wasteland.

Mal

Re: Good Evening from England!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Welcome to Pizzamaking, Iain!

Are the delis in question called Chandos Deli, per chance? I've visited a couple of the locations in Bristol. Love the charcuterie and sandwiches there. While it would be incredible to get Neapolitan style pies in those places, you might have a hard time selling it as "Neapolitan" sans-WFO.

Personally, I'd be even more excited if you opted to make some larger style pies and sell by the slice.

Either way, it sounds like I might have to head over to Bristol a whole lot more often in the near future!

Mal