Author Topic: In Memoriam, Don Thompson (buceriasdon)  (Read 918 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
In Memoriam, Don Thompson (buceriasdon)
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
I have been visiting and traveling in Mexico with my son and his family. The other day, while passing through Bucerias, I asked my son to stop by Don's pizza shop. My son spends a fair amount of time in Mexico, and from time to time would stop by Don's place to see if he was open. I was hoping on a future trip to stop by and have some pizza and to meet Don in person. The reports that I received from my son were that Don's place was always closed. However, a couple of weeks ago, in anticipation of my visit to Mexico, I read a tripadvisor.com review that was fairly recent that praised Don's pizza. So, naturally I was quite excited about the possibility of paying a visit to Don's place. Unfortunately, when we reached his place this past Thursday, it was closed. Moreover, the front of the building had been painted over with a thin first coat of white paint through which the original Donaldos Pizza Hogar name and related artwork were still visible. My thinking was that perhaps Don moved to a new location, one that was closer to the center of Bucerias with more tourist traffic.

So, this morning, while I was sitting in my hotel room in Guadalajara and preparing to join my son and his family for breakfast, I decided to get my iPad out and do some searching to see if there was anything recent on Don's pizzeria. It was then that I found the following interview on Don: http://amigosdebucerias.org/vip-interview/january-2013-don-thompson/ . So, it was with great sorrow that I read of Don's passing on June 10 in the update at the bottom of the interview piece.

I always saw Don as a good and decent man, one who was generous with his time in helping other members. Don frequently spoke of his love for the forum, so it came as a surprise to many of us when he decided to leave the forum. In retrospect, his leaving the forum may have been his best way to say goodbye, quietly and without a lot of fanfare. All along I had hoped to meet Don in person and to convince him to rejoin the forum. That was not to be. His passing reminds us how fragile life can be.

Peter

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:48:37 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: In Memoriam, Don Thompson
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
Wow! Really sorry to hear this. You're right. Don was one of the "good guys" here. Always positive and willing to help.

Offline parallei

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
%$#!

God's speed Don.......

Paul

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Don.  Don helped anyone he could here on the forum.  Life is fragile.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
Farewell Bucerias Don, a kind and knowledgeable man who was always happy to share his knowledge with others. Don was very good pizza maker as well, especially considering the limitations he had as far as equipment and flour.  I still run across his posts from time to time and still think fondly of him. He will be missed.  I always wished he had not closed his account on the forum.  Maybe to honor his passing the admins could change his status from "Guest" to "Member Emeritus" or something like that. 

I also admired that he was willing to give us an occasional glimpse into his life in Mexico, both the good and bad of it.  I really enjoyed reading about Donaldo's Pizza Hogar, the storefront pizza place he opened on a dusty side street in Bucerias. It seemed very romantic and perhaps a bit Quixotic. I located the place on Google Maps and thought about what it must have been like to walk on that street and come upon the brightly painted store front with its promise of good pizza. (Hard to believe that Google has done street view even in that far-flung place, Bucerias!)  I read several positive reviews of his pizza on the local Yahoo Bucerias group.  I know he encountered countless obstacles in trying to get his business started.  I did admire Don's willingness to endure all of the difficulties in pursuit of good pizza. 

TinRoof

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
We miss you Don and will continue to do so.   :(   Prayers go out to friends and family.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: In Memoriam, Don Thompson (buceriasdon)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
Very sad.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
I remember when Don left the forum, I found it kind of odd, now I realize perhaps it was because of health related issues. R.I.P. Don, enjoy a heavenly pizza for us.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »
I loved following his thread about making pizza in Mexico. I always hoped he would rejoin the forum. He will be missed.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
I've often wondered how he was doing with the restaurant.  That is very sad news.  He was a generous, supportive member of this forum and is missed. 

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
My Deepest Sympathies and Prayers for his family and friends.

TomN

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
I always saw Don as a good and decent man, one who was generous with his time in helping other members. Don frequently spoke of his love for the forum, so it came as a surprise to many of us when he decided to leave the forum. In retrospect, his leaving the forum may have been his best way to say goodbye, quietly and without a lot of fanfare. All along I had hoped to meet Don in person and to convince him to rejoin the forum. That was not to be. His passing reminds us how fragile life can be.

Totally agree.

RIP Don.

Thank you for letting us know, Peter.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
Rest In Paradise, Don. Prayers for his family.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan