Author Topic: Issue w/ Ishchia Sourdough Starter  (Read 698 times)

Offline Bende

Issue w/ Ishchia Sourdough Starter
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
Hi guys,

Just got my new Ischia Sourgough Starter active and ready for some pies.  I made some dough this weekend, using about 7% active starter, which I mixed into the water then into the flour.

Everything looked great at the start, I gave it a good kneading for several minutes, rested for a few more, then more kneading.  The dough rose well over the weekend.

But when I went to make the pies last night the dough was very brittle, wouldn't stretch at all, and broke apart very quickly.  I've never encountered this when using ADY or IDY.

I'm wondering if this is common, and if using starter dough requires more kneading / gluten development?

Thanks,

Ben

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Issue w/ Ishchia Sourdough Starter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
I'm not sure I could give you any insight without a much more detailed description of your formula (including flour type) and workflow from start to opening the dough ball and any other changes you made no matter how seemingly small.

I've not had a problem swapping SD for IDY or ADY without making any other changes. Are you doing a long cold fermentation? 7% is not a terribly large quantity. That's about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might be the problem.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bende

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
Hey Craig,

Here's some more detail.  Any advice on my approach would be much appreciated.

1) Mix 300g KABF w/ 2% sea salt
2) mix 60% tap water w/ 7% starter
3) add water/starter into flour and mix by hand until water / flour are incorporated
4) Knead dough by hand on counter for about 3 minutes (maybe my kneading style needs help, I push the dough out on the counter and fold over and repeat).  I also have a Kitchen Aid I could use)
5) let dough rest for about 5 minutes and knead again.
6) Let dough rise for 24 hours at room temp
7) Divide into balls and put into oiled containers, and into the fridget for 12 hours
8) Pull out containers and let rest at room temp for about 10 hours
9) Remove dough balls gently onto floured surface and work out into circular shape with finger tips, then stretch out over the back of my hands

The only departure from my usual process w/ ADY is that I let the dough rest and then kneaded again. 

Any thoughts?

Ben

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »
I don't see anythig that I think would give you a problem. I'd suggest trying it again and see if you get the same result. Sometimes things just seem to happen for no reason.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan