Author Topic: Trying to get cornice to open more  (Read 760 times)

Offline stevehollx

Trying to get cornice to open more
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
I'm trying to get a more tender cornice, and get the crumb of the cornice to open up more.  I don't seem to be getting the oven spring that I would like.

My workflow is:
24h dough at a controlled temp of 65F
Caputo 00 Flour
9.7% Ischia culture (based on flour weight)
62.5% hydration
3% salt

Very limited kneading (just enough by hand to mix).  Balled after 10h of bulk into a tight ball.

When opening the dough ball, I'm pressing with the fingers in the middle, and being careful to not touch the cornice, and then stretching with my fists or flat on the table in circular motion.  I leave about 1-1.5" around the edge un-sauced for the cornice.

The dough comes out of the container really slack.  When I start shaping, I notice it wrinkles a fair amount.  I'm shaping the dough when the air bubbles look about how Craig's dough looks like in his stickied post, so I don't think it is overproofed?

Launching the pies into the oven at 800F.

The picture isn't great, but hopefully helps show my current status.  I can post better pictures in a few days of the crumb after next pizza night if it would help.

Any thoughts?  Less/more handling?  Hotter oven?  Change hydration?  Ferment less/more?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Trying to get cornice to open more
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
What is the weight of your dough balls and the diameter of your pies?

I'd try to get the oven up to at least 850F.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stevehollx

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
Those are 280g balls in total weight, and the pies should be about 12".

Offline stevehollx

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »
Also, I transfer the dough to the peel before saucing and topping.  I've noticed in some videos that people sauce/top the pizza on the counter, and then transfer the entire pizza to the peel and stretch the pizza to final size once on the peel.  I don't think this would make a difference, but wanted to point out this deviation.

I'll try getting to 850F and see what happens.  If I can't get my oven that hot, I've got a Blackstone coming anyway which should help there.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
That's plenty of dough. Do you see gas coming out of the cornice (bubbles popping) when you open it? I'd be curious to see pictures of the dough ball and topped skin. I think bumping up the temp will help some. What is the baking surface now?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »
My bet is the oven is not hot enough.
How long to cook a pie ?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
There are sections of the cornice which look pretty puffy to me. Not consistently so tho. I would suspect from the picture that you have sufficient gas in the dough, I myself would work on opening to achieve a consistant cornice all the way around the pie. Can you show us a pic of the cornice sliced so we see the inside structure?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan