Author Topic: Pendleton Pizza Blend Flour  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Pendleton Pizza Blend Flour
« on: February 08, 2006, 01:41:58 PM »
Anyone know ANYTHING about Pendleton pizza blend flour? This is not the pizza mix, it is just a flour blend of sorts.

I have been using it for many years and know NOTHING about it other than how it perform in my recipes, and that it used to be a product of Fisher Mills.

Pendleton dosen't even show it as one of there products.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pendleton Pizza Blend Flour
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »
Lydia,

I have a brochure that I requested and received from Pendleton some time ago, and it shows a product called "Special Pizza Blend, Bleached". It has 12% protein, 0.55 ash, 63% absorption, and it is bleached. I don't know if that is the one you have in mind. You might consider calling Pendleton. I believe their number is 800-426-0101.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 03:21:28 PM »
Thanks Peter! :D

That IS the one.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline nypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »
Lydia,
How do you like the pizza blend?  I can get 50lbs of that or their 'power' variety or another brand I haven't heard of.  Ever hear of atlas high-g flour? 

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:59:43 AM »
I've seen the Power Flour, MorBread and Mondako flours but haven't tried them. I do use Pendleton's Pastry flour and Semolina flour. I haven't seen the Atlas flour, right now I'm using La Romanella High Gluten flour.

Out of the 8+ types of flour I keep in my pantry, the Special Pizza Blend is the flour I use the most (with the Semolina coming in at a close-second).

It performs well in most recipes calling for high-gluten flour and I get better overall performace when used in place of bread flour. I use it often to replace high-gluten flour when the crust seems to chewy, and I still want the typical benefits from high-gluten.

I don't just use this flour for pizza, though... I also use it to make soft chewy flour tortillas (texture like most store brands), soft pretzels, and French bread that is just a bit less-chewy (New Orleans Style...I think).

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 01:42:53 PM »
Pendleton Flour has the following protein:

Big Spring 14.5
Power       13.5
Morbread, Bakers Craft, Mondako, Special pizza blend 12.0
Blendako   11.5

All are good, but watch your shelf life. After all, how quickly can you use 42-50 pounds of flour?

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 02:23:47 PM »
I've been using the Pendleton Power high gluten flour (13.5%) and it seems to work really well.  Although, I have yet to try any KASL so I can't measure it against this boards "benchmark" flour.

As far as storing it I bought the 50lb bag a couple of months ago and have gone through about 30lbs.  I store the bulk of it in my garage in 5 gallon buckets.  When I get ready to use some I put it tupperware containers and freeze it for 48hrs prior to use.  I was under the impression that this takes care of the bug problem.

Danes Dad

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 04:04:48 PM »
Danes Dad,

Some millers call a flour with 13-13.7% protein a "medium high gluten" flour, which would cover a flour like your Pendleton flour. From 13.8-14.2%, the corresponding designation is "premium high-gluten", which would cover the KASL. I wouldn't worry about the difference.

Another way to process your flour is to freeze it in batches at the outset and return the frozen flour to your pantry a few days later. That is the way I have been doing it and it seems to work. At least I haven't seen any insect infestation.

Peter

Offline jrceo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 12:32:25 AM »
lydia , i just bought a 47 lbs of pendletons pizza mix flour bleached at cash n carry. i was looking for gm trump 501111 but could not find it..oh well. ill try pendletons pizza mix and compare it with my bread flour,,(dont now if theres a big difference but will try it.)and king authors allpurpose flour , that bach of dough turned out really good. fluffy and chewy.. nice i liked it.. im using first street gold cheese.. its ok .. i need to try polly o .. though.
well if you have any pics post them lydia. ..i will do the same.. thanks for writing on pendletons pizzamix,,

Offline jrceo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:06:32 PM »
pendletons pizza mix is excellent in tast and texture. soft and chewy .. nice I used sergento cheese partskim low moisture its the best pie todate, guys and gals there is really a big diffence in the flour you use.. high gluten is awsome.. pendletons pizza mix is a 8 out of 10 thus far.  sergento cheese is awsome id like to compare it with polly o low moisture partskim. umm. im on a mission for excellence.  :chef: :pizza: im also thinking of using relaxer pz44PZ44 Dough Conditioner 50 LB

A blend of whey and L-cysteine, a crystalline amino acid which is a natural component of protein. PZ-44 Dough Conditioner is often used in pizzerias as a Pizza Dough Conditioner helping to produce a more workable pizza dough. Biochemical reactions of L-cysteine and flour proteins result in shorter mixing time and increased extensability (rapid relaxation without fermentation)in pizza and tortilla doughs, saving time and money. Whey not only serves to control the reaction but also contributes to tenderness, nutrition, flavor, and color. Cracking of tortillas, when folded, is minimized because doughs are relaxed. Use PZ-44 at a level of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds for each 100 pounds of flour. No other formula modifications are needed. Because the dough is more relaxed, there is a minimum of cracking when finished. umm any thoughts about using this with pendletons pizza mix..i would like to have a steeeeechy dough..

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 04:39:46 PM »
jrceo,

PZ-44 comes up once in a while on the forum, with an example being this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1499.msg13644.html#msg13644.

As noted in the above thread, there shouldn't be a need to use PZ-44 if you allow your dough to get adequate fermentation. However, if you don't mind spending around $75 (plus shipping?) for a 50-lb. bag, and you use the PZ-44 at the recommended rate of 1-2% by weight of flour (1-2 lbs/100 lbs. of flour), then the 50-lb. bag will be enough to last you 2500-5000 pounds of flour, or about 53-106 of your 47-lb. Pendleton bags  :). I believe the recommended shelf life ("re-evaluation date") for PZ-44 is about a year. Of course, if you have or plan to open a pizzeria, that's another matter.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 09:46:51 PM »
HI jrceo,

I've been working with the KA all-purpose, but KA bread flour has just now become available to me, so I have just begun to use. So far the results are pretty close. I will know more as I have more opportunities to use it. 

The Pizza Blend has proven to be very versatile, it has performed equally well for most recipes/formulations calling for HG flour and bread flour, and it responds with more HG properties than the KA AP. But it responds nearly the same when I use it in a formula on this site that calls for KA all-purpose. Regular AP just doesn't have enough gluten to be used in place of the KA AP.

You should seriously try the Pizza Blend in your tortilla recipe, as IS. The results are awesome! 

I love how easily I can stretch the dough thin.
They bake quickly and evenly, so you don't have to brown them before they're completely done. Encase I want to store them to brown on the stove later.
They also stay soft and pliable after storing in plastic overnight.
They definitely don't crack on the edges, even the browned bubbles are soft.
They have a bit of stretch after cooking them, so that you can really STUFF 'em.
AND they reheat very well in the microwave.

I wont use AP flour for tortillas anymore. I'm totally hooked on these.

I use Polly-o but it's not low-moisture version so it bakes out alot of moisture. I have been blending it with Monterey Jack with great results.

Sargento, is OK, but only if you are shredding/slicing it yourself. Pre-shredded has a powdered starch like substance that can really give a poor "pizza cheese" texture. If whole milk Mozz. is available to you, you might want to check out the difference, even if it's not Sargento or Polly-O.
jrceo, click on the globey-thing under my member name if you want to see my pizza pics. I think the only recipe I used the Pizza Blend for was the Chicago Pizza Pot Pies.

Tomarrow I'm gone on Vacation, so chat will you all in a week.