Author Topic: Anyone heard of Zerto whole milk Mozzarella?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline redox

Anyone heard of Zerto whole milk Mozzarella?
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »
I live in a whole milk mozzarella desert. I cannot find it anywhere although a local Italian deli will call their distributor and check for me this week. So I see that Zerto mozz is available through Amazon or from the igourmet website http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Mozzarella-by-Zerto---Pound-Cut.asp
I was wondering if anyone's tried it or knows anything about this cheese. I can forget about NP pizza if I can't find a good source of whole milk mozz. Plus I want to try it on NY style when I try that when the weather cools.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Anyone heard of Zerto whole milk Mozzarella?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
When people refer to whole mik mozzarella they are normally talking about a hard brick of cheese. This is the type of cheese I use for NY style pizza. For NP however, you really need fresh stuff. ( They are both whole milk, just the terms are used differently)

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »
When people refer to whole mik mozzarella they are normally talking about a hard brick of cheese. This is the type of cheese I use for NY style pizza. For NP however, you really need fresh stuff. ( They are both whole milk, just the terms are used differently)
Sorry, my bad. I was talking to someone while typing and and as Justin Wilson used to tell the story about the teenage boy driving along the river while making out with his girlfriend, "doing two things, half well."
I can get good fresh made mozz from a local Italian Deli, I meant to say whole milk mozz for NY style pizza. I'm really a mono-tasker at heart.  :-[

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
Jay, I've never heard of Zerto, but the web page you linked to tells us a bit of interesting information.

Firstly, the photo shows a cheese that looks dry and firm (good) but it doesn't really have the yellow tint of other wholesale cheeses.  Still, though, it's a lot drier than most supermarket cheese.

but it does not brown as well and is not as elastic as part skim.

Browning is a major defect in mozzarella (that manufacturers go to great lengths to avoid), so I'm not sure why they'd word it this way.

$5.99/lb plus shipping is also a bit painful.

'Low moisture' mozzarella, on the supermarket side, isn't low moisture at all, so, just on the dryness aspect, I think this is worth trying, but, between the color and the references to browning, I'd definitely still keep looking.

I'd also be really careful when ordering mail order cheese, especially during the summer. If it's shipped without refrigeration, forget it.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:27:40 AM »
@redox, where the hell do you live?  ???  Don't you have any grocery stores or a Walmart nearby, they all carry whole milk mozzarella, Dragone, Sorrento, Stella, Polly-O, to name a few, will all make a respectable NY style pizza without the expense of shipping. :angel:

Offline redox

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:49 AM »
@redox, where the hell do you live?  ???  Don't you have any grocery stores or a Walmart nearby, they all carry whole milk mozzarella, Dragone, Sorrento, Stella, Polly-O, to name a few, will all make a respectable NY style pizza without the expense of shipping. :angel:
Here, in Toledo, OH the grocery stores, Kroger, Meijers, Walmart, GFS, do NOT carry whole milk mozzarella. I don't know why the anti-cheese Taliban hates whole milk mozz but since I decided I want to try NY style pizza at home, I've been looking for it. I've been saying that I live in a cheese desert and it's true. Yesterday I called a very good local Italian deli that said they'd check with their supplier to see if they can order some for me, if it's available, of course.
Got any suggestions?

Offline redox

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
Btw, I hope you're not gonna say, "What I want from you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in Toledo. Your fugitive's name is Whole M. Mozzarella. Go get him."  :-D

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
Here, in Toledo, OH the grocery stores, Kroger, Meijers, Walmart, GFS, do NOT carry whole milk mozzarella.

Jay, are you absolutely certain of this?  Some stores have a cheese section- it won't be in there. WM mozz is in the dairy aisle, usually near the cream cheese, the cottage cheese and the ricotta.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
Ya I'm showing Toledo has a walmart supercenter. They have to have some whole milk packages.

Offline redox

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »
Scott & Jeff
GFS: I talked to a manager that said they don't carry it but that their newest (and largest) store in the area might. I called immediately and they checked but said they don't carry it.
Meijers: I go there often (excellent meat dept.) and check every  time for wmm and have never seen it. I will ask a mgr. next time.
Kroger: Haven't been there in a long time so I will have to check.
Walmart: I checked because members of this forum said it was carried but it is not available.
My current hope is Sofo's a very good Italian deli that has a huge selection of cheeses, but guess what? NO WMM! But they will check with their distributor and call me. Of course, I will have to contact them in about a week when they don't call.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »
it is unbelievable that the city of Toledo, Oh does not have whole milk mozzarella. Are you telling me no one there makes lasagna, stuffed shells, baked ziti, cheese pies or pizza. You must not be looking in the right place, because I guarantee you it is there.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
Btw, I hope you're not gonna say, "What I want from you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in Toledo. Your fugitive's name is Whole M. Mozzarella. Go get him."  :-D

I just did a google search of supermarkets near Toledo, OH, and it came up with 1,235 results.... Assuming 90% of those are gas stations, 7-11's and dollar stores, that still leaves over 100 possibilities of a whole milk cheese supplier.

So... ahem... looks like your fugitive's name IS W.M. Mozzarella  ;D
Josh

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
Dave and JD are right.  30 years ago, I went to college in Illinois across the Mississipi River from St. Louis.  There were no ethnic minorities for at least 50 miles in every direction, and small neighborhood supermarkets carried low moisture whole milk mozzarella.

Supermarket managers are useless. Ask someone stocking the case in the dairy department:

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
In metro Detroit none of the places you mention carry Whole Milk Mozz either, but Toledo has to have at least one high end grocer, and they will have it.  Here is Detroit we have a plethora of them, and they all carry WM Mozz.

edited to add:

Bet this place has it.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-fresh-market-toledo
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:22:25 PM by shuboyje »
-Jeff

Offline redox

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
In metro Detroit none of the places you mention carry Whole Milk Mozz either, but Toledo has to have at least one high end grocer, and they will have it.  Here is Detroit we have a plethora of them, and they all carry WM Mozz.

edited to add:

Bet this place has it.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-fresh-market-toledo

Jeff,
I'll be gobsmacked! I checked that store personally because it's near the Costco I shop at and they said they didn't carry wmm. I just called a few minutes ago so I could prove you wrong and now they do carry it. I don't know what brand and they were too busy at the deli area to check but I'll pick up some in the next day or two and then start messing around trying to produce a reasonable facsimile of a NY pie. That was some great remote viewing you did there. Thanks.
Jay

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
I asked for help finding the cheese at walmart and they told me they didn't have it. It was just in a different package than I was expecting. It was there. I wonder if it could be the same thing?

Offline redox

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 06:33:22 PM »
Dave, Scott, Jeff & JD
Thanks for the encouragement. I wonder if the availability of wmm is hindered by the lack of mom & pop pizza places, the chains have driven most of the old ones out of business. My favorite, Inky's Italian Foods (bad Italian food but great pizza) is hanging on, but in what is now a bad area. They've got their own homeless guy who hangs around the parking lot telling people that he'll watch their cars so that they *wink, wink* won't get scratched.

Offline redox

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
I asked for help finding the cheese at walmart and they told me they didn't have it. It was just in a different package than I was expecting. It was there. I wonder if it could be the same thing?
I just used the walmart site to look for wmm and it list several types none of which are carried by any Toledo wally's. Except for one in Perrysburg that is listed as having their Great Value brand. I know they didn't have it when I was there. I checked the refrigerated cheese section with a giant magnifying glass and a Deerstalker hat. Maybe they don't have it all the time.

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
Ok, I bought some wmm the said Great Lakes on the loaf wrapper, it's supposed to be made for The Fresh Market. $9.49/lb !! I"m gonna try this just this once with the pound I bought and that's it till I find a more reasonable source. You know the saying, "Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice..."
But I did want to try it so it's all on me. Tasted some and quite honestly my non-gourmet taste buds didn't notice much difference.
Now to look for a decent NY-ish dough that I can make with KABF or KASL since  that's what higher gluten flour I have on hand. It's hot outside so I want to do it on one of these 16-inch disks http://www.pizzatools.com/Hex_Quik-Disks/30885/subgrouping.htm
so I don't have to heat a baking stone for an hour. Does anyone think that's a viable option?