Author Topic: Re: Problem with Dough--Too Much Oil?  (Read 740 times)

Offline Pizzaboyo

Re: Problem with Dough--Too Much Oil?
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:16:43 AM »
 tried this dough at the weekend and was very happy with it (except where I tore a hole in one dough on the stone  ::)) the dough was very crispy on the outside like a cracker and soft and light on the inside, my question is this. . . . is this down to what seemed to me to be a large amount of oil in the recipe??
Here is the Dough Recipe

3 1/2 cups of flour (I usually start with 3 cups and then add more flour as needed to make a dough that isnít sticky)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar
1 cup of cold water
1 package of yeast
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:09:40 AM by Pete-zza »
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
This was moved for some reason but here is where the recipe originally came from http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25880.new.html#new
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Tory

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
Is there some reason you measure your flour by volume rather than by weight?

With the exception of measuring the flour (I measure by weight), it seems our recipes are similar, however I do not use anywhere near that much olive oil. I use maybe two tablespoons of olive oil at the very most.
And sometimes only 1 tablespoon. But I'd never dream of using that much olive oil.

Oh, and I also only use instant yeast and warm water.

But I might suggest you back down with the amount of olive oil you're using. Maybe I'm wrong, but 1/3 of a cup just seems like too much.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:24:20 PM by Tory »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »
3.5c flour, i would ballpark the oil rather high.  a teaspoon will make a difference, let alone 15.  try backing down to 1 or 2T oil and start with a little under 3c flour (2 3/4 perhaps) and see if you can work it from there. 

my mom doesn't understand % so the bread (dough) recipe i made for her, is 3c high gluten flour and 1 1/3 water. 3T butter, 1t salt/sugar, ~1/2t yeast.  works great, a good solid recipe to modify as needed/wanted
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:07:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks, let me clarify some things. I weigh all my dough recipes since joining this forum and my pizzas have improved no end. This recipe came from this post http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25880.new.html#new where TomN posted this link http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25880.new.html#new and I said I'd give it a go. I think the oil amount is excessive BUT I tried it and the dough turned out very nice indeed, it was very crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside and I just wondered if this was down to the large amount of oil or not?