Author Topic: Serving a Gluten Free option  (Read 402 times)

Offline pieguyevan

Serving a Gluten Free option
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
Hey guys! If anyone would have asked me 5 years ago about doing a gluten free pie I would have just laughed. But now its finally getting to the point where there is a growing market for them up here in Montana. Making a gluten free dough I don't believe is in our best interest, as we only have one dough mixer and use a local starter for our dough (which of course is High gluten flour based) So I found a local place that makes them and freezes the doughs. I just got a sample in and its not nearly as bad as I had imagined, actually pretty good! My question is how far do I need to go for the gluten free pies? Should I use a separate sauce container and spoodle? Do I need to use a different pizza peel when cooking in the oven? They are in their own individual pans, but I still need to take them out at the end of cooking to finish up the bottom, is that going to pose a problem? Thanks for any input!

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
Re: Serving a Gluten Free option
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
Yes you need to keep everything separate. My sister in law has a gluten allergy, and if her mom makes her a sandwich for school with the same knife as the other kids, she will be sick all day.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »
This is a subject that came up when Domino's introduced its gluten-free pizza. To inform its customers of the risks involved, Domino's prepared a FAQ section at its website at https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/customer-service/glutenfreecrust.jsp . As you can see from the FAQs, a distinction is drawn between those with some gluten intolerance and those with celiacs disease. If customers fall into the later category, I believe that Jeff is right that facilities used with respect to products that might be consumed by those with celiacs disease have to be kept separate, at least with respect to the crusts and maybe even other parts of the pizzas.

Peter

Offline pieguyevan

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
Right on, that Q&A was very helpful. Wasn't aware of Celiac (sp?) and gluten allergies. Thanks for the help, you guys rock!

pizzapan