Author Topic: Explanation of Yeast Options/Approaches for Neapolitan Pizza  (Read 2066 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Explanation of Yeast Options/Approaches for Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
Interestingly I watched the video and then clicked on "how to make the perfect pizza" - guardian UK on the you tube tiles after and they show a really cool NP style pizza place in the UK. Check it out.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on using Italian dry yeast - wouldn't you think it would be a different strain from what we have here?

http://www.amazon.com/Lievito-Degli-Angeli-Italian-Yeast/dp/B005FI9Q84/ref=pd_sbs_gro_8

I believe that particular yeast is intended for use in sweet breads. I think it is supposed to impart a vanilla frgrance in the baked product which is not something I would want in my pizza. I don't know if they accomplish this through a strain of yeast or the addition of something to the yeast.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies; I guess I used the wrong link as I actually meant to use their "master pizza" product. I was just wondering if it would be a different italian strain that would produce a more authentic NP dough. I have an Italian sourdough starter but sometimes need some IDY for extra lift.

Norma, how did you like the taste and did you see a noticeable difference versus what we can get domestically?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »

Norma, how did you like the taste and did you see a noticeable difference versus what we can get domestically?

Teddy,

No, I didn't notice any better taste when using that product, than when using the SAF IDY.  I had another package of that yeast and wanted to do some more experiments with a slower room temperature fermentation and less of that product, but never got around to those experiments.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies; I guess I used the wrong link as I actually meant to use their "master pizza" product. I was just wondering if it would be a different italian strain that would produce a more authentic NP dough. I have an Italian sourdough starter but sometimes need some IDY for extra lift.

What sort of oven are you using to bake your Neapolitan pizza?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.