Author Topic: First Sicilian  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
First Sicilian
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
So I went ahead and made the attempt to put together a Sicilian. After reading Norma's thread I learned a lot. I used the formula in the first picture. The only pan I had was a 12x17 with 1 inch high sides.

I preheate oven to 500 for about 45 min and placed pan on bottom rack. Total cook time was about 17 min. Unfortunately the bottom was burnt. I was only able to save a few pieces. Due to the overlooking the crust was on the dryer side. The top definitely cooked a little slower than the bottom.

Next time I will monitor the bottom more close. I also used 75% all trumps and 25% KABF, next time I may do a 50/50 blend for a better crumb. Also I plan on getting a smaller pan with higher sides for allowing topping to go all the way to the edge.

My friend who worked at a popular pizzeria told me they used to take the Sicilian out of the pan and place directly on the stone when it was about 80% cooked to help crisp the crust.

I also added the sauce cheese and toppings on the pie before baking, I know some people have different methods. The dough tempered on top of the stove for about 1.5 hours.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Re: First Sicilian
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
Pic

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »
Beautiful pie Camaro.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:19:29 PM »
Looks good. Why did you preheat the oven for 45 minutes? Did you use a stone? Also it seems you are one of those fancy people who uses military time...  :-D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
Looks real good.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »
Gin,

Looks really good!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
My friend who worked at a popular pizzeria told me they used to take the Sicilian out of the pan and place directly on the stone when it was about 80% cooked to help crisp the crust.

I use the same stone trick myself and it crisps up the bottom beautifully.  But you have to be careful not to leave it on too long otherwise it will burn and/or make the bottom hard.  I find that about 30 secs to 1 minute does the trick for me.

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
Camaro,

Its 9am here and looking at that pie makes me want dough cheese and meat for breakfast! That looks delicious!