Author Topic: Starting to get the hang of this... last night's pie  (Read 694 times)

Offline PseudoK22

• I Love Pizza!
Starting to get the hang of this... last night's pie
« on: September 26, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »
I've been learning and experimenting on NY pizza for a few months, so I figured it was about time I shared something I made... I only got the one pic, I know I love looking at everyone else's pictures. 

This is a (roughly) 14" caramelized onion and fontina cheese pie made with KA bread flour, baked at 500F for about 7-8 minutes (dough was fermented in the fridge for 6 days).  I'll have to remember to rotate the pie halfway through next time, as my oven obviously heats unevenly.  Next time I'll snap some more pics of the bottom and of the slices, but this came out pretty good (and only a little lopsided!).  Crust was crunchy and chewy and the bottom was pretty nicely browned, yet still a bit flexible in the middle... folded nicely.  It was just a tiny bit denser than I would've liked, so I may have to play with the hydration or the amount of yeast a bit (I don't recall the exact amount I used and my notes are at home, but I know it was less than I normally use, given that I knew it would be in the fridge a while).

I'm hoping to whip up some more this weekend... though I think my girlfriend is starting to get upset that I want to make pizza twice a week.   ;D

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Re: Starting to get the hang of this... last night's pie
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
Nice pie, definitely looks better than some of my first ones. Without a recipe I can only speculate but are you over handling your dough or rolling it before you dress and bake it? That would definitely make a difference in terms of density.

Offline PseudoK22

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Starting to get the hang of this... last night's pie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »
Nice pie, definitely looks better than some of my first ones. Without a recipe I can only speculate but are you over handling your dough or rolling it before you dress and bake it? That would definitely make a difference in terms of density.

Thanks for the input!  Not rolling, shaping by hand.  Over-handling?  Could be.  I try not to work it too much while stretching it out, but I'm still working on that technique.  I had previously made much wetter doughs that came out much more airy and light, but too much so.  I'm currently at work, but I'll include the recipe I used later on tonight if I think of it.

pizzapan