Author Topic: Is is possible to bake NY-style-ish on a pizza disc?  (Read 2295 times)

scott123

Re: Is is possible to bake NY-style-ish on a pizza disc?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
Of course, not everyone will agree with Tom's characterization of such pizzas as NY "style", as noted by pizzashark at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7801&hilit=#p53326

Don't make a fatal mistake and put NY STyle pizza on your sign with a conveyor oven inside. In my opinion, you will fail. Nuf Said.

I have a new hero  ;D

scott123

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 01:08:40 AM »
Screens or pans can be used for NY style, why not?

Tom, that pizza is better than just about every pizza in my area, and if I had a place that sold it nearby, I'd be buying a pie right this second (seriously, it's killing me just looking at the photo), but, according to my admittedly somewhat narrow definition of NY style pizza, with what I believe looks to be a 10+ minute bake time, I might classify it as more of a Chicago thin/NY hybrid than a pure NY style pie.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »
I defend California Pizza all the time...

indirectly  ;D Sure, Italian grandmothers have probably been putting anything in their pantries on pizza for centuries, but, somewhere along the line, toppings started being viewed from an extremely limited perspective, and Spago took that small thinking and obliterated it. CPK, imo, is as Californian as Dominos is Brooklynian.  I probably am not the most vocal defender of pineapple and ham pies, but, unlike great numbers of my NY brethren, I go to great lengths to defend anyone's right to put anything on a pizza. If that's not defending the spirit of Spago, of California pizza, I don't know what is  ;D

Thank you, I think. 

There is actually kind of an interesting common thread to the Spago/CPK pizzas.  Both pizzas were developed by a really talented pizzamaker named Ed LaDou. Ed was pizzaiolo for Wolfgang Puck at the original Spago, where he first pioneered the idea of putting all kinds of wild things on top of pizza dough.  He was hired by the founders of CPK to develop their dough and recipes as well.  During the 1990's Ed also had his own restaurant, Caiote, which was located in Laurel Canyon in Los Angeles. That is one of the very cool parts of LA.  Somehow, a legend developed that a certain salad served at Caiote had the magical ability of bringing on labor in overdue pregnant women. This caught on in a big way.  I remember one night having dinner there and there were pregnant women on three sides of our table.  So anyway, I guess if there is a "California style pizza" we could thank Ed LaDou for it.  I will say that the pizzas he used to serve at Caiote were some of the best ones I ate back in those days, when no one in California paid any attention at all to pizza. 

Best regards,

TinRoof

Online JD

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »
Tom, that pizza is better than just about every pizza in my area, and if I had a place that sold it nearby, I'd be buying a pie right this second (seriously, it's killing me just looking at the photo), but, according to my admittedly somewhat narrow definition of NY style pizza, with what I believe looks to be a 10+ minute bake time, I might classify it as more of a Chicago thin/NY hybrid than a pure NY style pie.

Clarify something for me Scott... I grew up in eastern Long Island and a typical pizza around my area is like the attached picture (picture is from Mulberry Street or Gino's)

I'm pretty sure it's anywhere from 8-12 minute bake, which is fairly typical for my area. So is this not NY pizza?

scott123

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's anywhere from 8-12 minute bake, which is fairly typical for my area. So is this not NY pizza?

JD, I can't say for certain how long that was baked for, but based on a few visual indicators, I'd estimate that it was baked for less than 10 minutes, making it, imo, an example of a classic crispy NY style pie- which is, of course, very much in alignment with your preference.

If you go back in time, it was these hugely popular pizzerias that helped define the style- and part of being hugely popular was being immensely successful/turning out large numbers of pizzas.  Genre defining pizzerias would be severely limited by 12 minute bake times.

Online JD

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 05:24:38 PM »
JD, I can't say for certain how long that was baked for, but based on a few visual indicators, I'd estimate that it was baked for less than 10 minutes, making it, imo, an example of a classic crispy NY style pie- which is, of course, very much in alignment with your preference.

If you go back in time, it was these hugely popular pizzerias that helped define the style- and part of being hugely popular was being immensely successful/turning out large numbers of pizzas.  Genre defining pizzerias would be severely limited by 12 minute bake times.

Okay, glad to hear. I was under the impression you only consider 4min as NY.

pizzapan