Author Topic: Neapolitan style pies to go?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline derricktung

Neapolitan style pies to go?
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
All,

So I'm going to preface this with saying I know that Neapolitan pies should be eaten pretty much straight out of the oven, don't keep well in boxes, etc.  But I'm turning to you guys for some business advice.

The market I'm applying to is full until Sept, and so the manager has offered for me to work at a smaller market (much smaller), but doesn't want to be abandon it completely for the large market in Sep.  She asked if I would be willing to send a set of pies over to the smaller market for sale (she'll provide the hotbox and transporter) so that we would still have a presence at the smaller market to help build the following there.

I explained that Neapolitan pie is far different than the grilled pie she's had from a box, but told her I would look into boxing pies to see how they held up since I don't want our company associated with "poor quality".

So two questions:

1.  Has anyone successfully boxed Neapolitan pies for "delivery" and how long do they last quality wise?

2.  I'm considering just using a different dough for the delivery pies (lower hydration, closer to a NY-style pie) and keeping the Neapolitan style doughs for whatever market I"m at.  Any thoughts on this approach instead?

Really appreciate the insight!  Thanks in advance!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: Neapolitan style pies to go?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
DeSano's in Nashville does a very nice job with their pies Neo>NY style.

They were delivered to us in boxes (by Tom Brady!!) when we were at the Patriots vs. Titans home opener last year.

The pies were very, very good. What you are saying about the ideal of eating them fresh out of the oven is obviously the most desireable situation, but there were NO COMPLAINTS about these DeSano pies! I'll try and post a  pic from my phone.

John K

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
Why don't you just change your recipe a bit  for that season?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
Originally, Neapolitan pies were "delivered" all up and down the streets, so it should be possible.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »
I haven't seen or heard of any pizzerias in Naples that don't box for take-out. Even at the famous Da Michele, people with take-out boxes can be seen, as evident in this video at 2:38.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSH3CvfmxQE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSH3CvfmxQE</a>
)

I'd do it...and I'm actually thinking to do it here in Japan on a limited basis.

Offline La Sera

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
A true Neapolitan is better when eaten soon out of the oven, but isn't that true for all pizza?

Offline nyyankees325

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »
You could put a sticker or notice some where for reheating instructions just in case

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »
You could put a sticker or notice some where for reheating instructions just in case
   Sticker......"Warning: You will need to hack your oven to reheat this properly"   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline derricktung

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:15 AM »
   Sticker......"Warning: You will need to hack your oven to reheat this properly"   ;D

:-D  That's probably would it would have to say...   in any case, I think I'll be testing to see how long and how well they hold in boxes so that we can give it a whirl.

Anyone have any advice on how best to box it?  I"m thinking something with an accordion style base to allow for air to flow around the crust and prevent the heat from making it soggy?

Thanks for all the input!

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:44:04 AM »
:-D  That's probably would it would have to say...   in any case, I think I'll be testing to see how long and how well they hold in boxes so that we can give it a whirl.

Anyone have any advice on how best to box it?  I"m thinking something with an accordion style base to allow for air to flow around the crust and prevent the heat from making it soggy?

I wouldn't worry about soggy Neapolitan pie. Remember in Naples, they throw it right onto a plate and it gets soggy and soft right away because they don't let it cool any on the bottom like most of us do. The main things you might want to include are...

1. A strip of baking sheet under the pie so the pizza, as it softens or gets soggy, doesn't stick to the cardboard box. (Give credit to LaSera for this idea. You can see it in some of his photos).
2. A little insert that explains all about NP, explains that soft(soggy) is appropriate, to eat it a.s.a.p. with a fork & butter knife if possible...and has a coupon for their next order.

EDIT: As for re-heating NP, it's hard but not impossible. The main thing is to prevent browning of the crust so just tossing it in a toaster oven, or regular oven, as-is, is not the way to go. Also, nuking it is just that...total destruction of beauty. After some experimenting, I have come up with this so far...

1. Preheat oven to 220c (using lower heating filaments more than upper and stay away from convection settings)
2. Transfer pie to an appropriate-sized baking sheet(wax paper, etc.)(if your pies come with this already, then you save a step for your customers!)
3. With a spray bottle filled with water, lightly spray the crust edge/rim with water. This will delay the browning of the crust for a short period. Not perfect but it works better than no moisture at all.
4. Place pie, baking sheet(paper) and all, directly on the floor of the oven, or a large cookie sheet that has been pre-heating with the oven on the lowest rack possible(the oven floor is best!). Close oven door and monitor closely.
5. Remove pie from the oven as soon as cheese has started to bubble.

I am currently experimenting with different temps so this may not be the best yet, However it does provide a starting point. I find that the oven floor itself on a simple pre-heat is ideal for re-heating pizza, whereas placing a NP on a baking stone is too hot and will over-char the bottom and stiffen the finished pie. My last experiments in March worked well. I forgot the time they clocked in at but I think it was just around 3 minutes for thinly topped pies like Margheritas.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:07:31 AM by f.montoya »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 06:30:39 AM »
Several years ago, while I was at Naples 45 in NYC and chatting with Charlie Restivo, then the chief pizza maker at Naples 45, I happened to see some customers carrying out the Neapolitan style pizzas in boxes. I indicated surprise that people would be doing takeout rather than eating the pizzas in the restaurant where the quality would be much better. Charlie told me that they did a really big takeout business. It almost sounded like the takeout business was better than the eat-in business for pizza, and certainly that might have been true in the periods between lunch and dinner. Those who are familiar with Naples 45 will know that it is located in the MetLife building in NYC, right behind Grand Central Station and surrounded by many office buildings. Apparently a lot of Naples 45 customers worked in those office buildings or were buying pizzas to take on the train with them on their way home. Either way, Naples 45 found the takeout business to be a viable part of their business.

Peter

Offline derricktung

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!  I'll definitely keep this in mind while testing...

Offline joshuafinancial

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 11:30:21 PM »
It seems to me the success factor in takeout Neapolitan has more to do with the potential volume of customers in the first place, as well as the competitive landscape.

There needs to be a large potential customer base for the wfo pizza in perfect condition - because a much smaller % of the customers will choose to buy takeout (not as nice) as a regular thing.   There's some REASON the takeout is their choice.   Convenience? First time, didn't know it wouldn't be as good?  Picking up for someone who doesn't have access?  Late for a wedding, but starving? Everything else was closed?  Shortest line for food?  Something.

And, no/few substitutes readily at hand.   No WFO nearby for sure.

Sure if you're in NYC located behind grand central - you'd have to work hard not to score with WFO and 00.   You could probably sell shoebox lids smeared with uncle bens and cheese wiz - there's enough people marching by that a bunch are going to fall into some category that your stuff fits see above). 

If you're not in a high traffic/densely populated situation with those folks having the right $$ (or facing a long train ride to LI daily...) -
Maybe you'd want to poll your potential customers.   
If you do, you'll probably hear what we heard about takeout/delivery vs fresh Neo - 30% would, 30% won't, 30% wouldn't if they had a choice but might if they didn't.  10% DK   

So take your market, figure 30% would go for it - but probably not as a regular thing.  In our experience, the 30% who would fell into the category of "First time/Didn't know it wouldn't be as good."   Regular buyers for takeout WFO Nea turned out to be more like 5%.

It's that "OMG" of WFO pizza fresh from the oven that makes your shop stand out.   It's hard to follow, bt has a short shelf life.   Just the other side of the blade that's giving you a competitive edge vs the typical shop. 

So offer it, but don't bank on it being your business unless you have a huge potential customer base and visibility among them.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:48:24 PM by joshuafinancial »

Offline joshuafinancial

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:05 PM »
Sorry - I don't even know where that came from.  Seems off topic.   Too little sleep.   :-[

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »

Those black plastic "nib" trays look like they do a good job of keeping water/moisture away from crust. Look pretty pricey too though, dunno.  ???

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
Oh Yeah Bob those Black Plastic Nib trays are only about $20 a pop ! thereis a compny offering a dimpled lined  as opposed to the standard sheet of paper
I believe Many Neo places use this type think  Don antonio and others
Can you just sell em frozen and let them reheat anyway ??  just keep the oven going for ambiance  ;)
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »
Oh Yeah Bob those Black Plastic Nib trays are only about $20 a pop ! thereis a compny offering a dimpled lined  as opposed to the standard sheet of paper
I believe Many Neo places use this type think  Don antonio and others
Can you just sell em frozen and let them reheat anyway ??  just keep the oven going for ambiance  ;)
See, there ya go...told ya.  8)       Back to the drawing board!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:46:39 AM by Chicago Bob »