Author Topic: Cleaning Cycle Journey Begins  (Read 2739 times)

scott123

Re: Cleaning Cycle Journey Begins
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »
Baking a pizza in this manner is pretty much like going to war.

LOL.  The pies are looking great, but I can see how this configuration might be stressing you out.

I don't have a fire alarm in the kitchen, but I've set off countless alarms at friend's homes.

It's not going to solve your alarm issue, but, if you wanted to see if you could take this configuration further, you could try some kind of probe insulating condom.  That way, you should be able to use the entire broiler at higher temps.

The blackstone is a great oven, but I'm not sure if they ship to Australia, and, if they do, it's going to be costly.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
The blackstone is a great oven, but I'm not sure if they ship to Australia, and, if they do, it's going to be costly.
Scott,

James was originally from Australia but is now in the Bay area.

Peter

scott123

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
Thanks, Peter, for the clarification.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
James, those pies look great, and remind me of my own cleaning cycle results. My restaurant-owner-friends were quite amused that someone would go to these lengths for heat. I remember being amazed at how the hair on my forearms singed so quickly when I opened the oven door..
My current oven doesn't self clean, so I've had to move on to other methods....

I predict you will go the blackstone or other more sustainable route- especially if you bake often.

-clay

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 04:08:49 AM »
Thanks everyone!

I baked a bunch tonight but didn't eat any (had In-n-out for dinner). Made for a great family photo.  ;D

High res photo: IMG_1627

Here is a summary of improvements I made over time that that made a real difference:
  • Using a starter culture that is more dough than batter in consistency. I get much more consistent and observable results this way.
  • Putting the dough ball on lightly oiled glad wrap, then dropping it in the container. The dough lifts away perfectly this way. Previously even if I oiled the container, the dough still stretches into countless strands as I try to dislodge it.
  • Moving the stone to the side of the rack as opposed to the center. This exposes more of the cornicione to the broiler elements and reduces heat exposure to the center of the pizza. The pizza is turned once or twice to encourage even cornicione browning.
  • Learning the Neapolitan stretch and slap by watching countless YouTube videos. I'm still terrible at it, but the little I did learn has helped a lot.

-James

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 04:19:35 AM »
Here's a closeup of the Margarita along with the mozzarella di bufala I got at Wholefoods.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 08:03:11 AM »
Awesome looking pies!!!

I would have tried a cleaning cycle if I had one, but Meile ovens(German) don't seem to have such a cycle. Best I got was with broiler and timing to get a 4-5 minute pies.

pizzapan