Author Topic: Pizza Margherita with no basil...  (Read 799 times)

Offline kdefay

Pizza Margherita with no basil...
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
I know this sounds a bit odd, but an Italian guy was in my shop tonight who comes from near Milan.  He tried to tell me that in his province, the pizza margherita doesn't have basil.  I didn't want to argue with him and happily made him a cheese pizza (or a margherita with no basil).   

Personally I think he must just be a bit odd, because why order a margherita without basil when you can just order a cheese pizza?

Or is he right?  Has anyone heard of this rabbit-hole Italian province where they make margheritas with no basil?
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Pizza Margherita with no basil...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
Has anyone heard of this rabbit-hole Italian province where they make margheritas with no basil?

Yes, I have heard of Milan.  :-D But I assume that's not actually what you meant. I have no clue if they order their pizza there without basil. It's a long way from Naples.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
Now that you mention it....I don't see basil being used much in the Trento-Balzano area I go to.

You see a lot of pies looking like this....notice the non puffy leoparded cornicione one see's a lot of on this site.  In the area I go to they say you can tell who the piiziolo was by the way your toppings are laid on the pie.  :)   

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/bd/92/4f/pizza-fantasia.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187857-d1106541-Reviews-Pizzeria_Maxi-Bolzano_South_Tyrol_Province_Trentino_Alto_Adige.html&h=450&w=337&sz=29&tbnid=1pBHg0s32YECpM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=67&zoom=1&usg=__E6yW3sY7HmQzgfc8Y4AO_qC4KHU=&docid=M5A0ScLDCODM-M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JjDPUe_WNIvM9ASOvICwCQ&ved=0CI8BEPUBMAQ&dur=466
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:11:06 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kdefay

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
None of it makes any sense (why should it?  they're Italian!).  If you want a cheese pizza, just order a cheese pizza.  Even the Milanese should know that they are confused about what a "Margherita" is.  Instead of saying "in our province we make the Margherita without basil.  They should say "In our province we make cheese pizzas and give a name that is designed to confuse customers."
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:51:26 AM »
To honor queen Margherita, the colors of the flag, green, white and red were used. Enough said.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline kdefay

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:24:58 AM »
I understand and agree with you Mark. That's why I find it strange that an Italian doesn't seem to understand it.  They are the ones who are most rigid in their mindset when it comes to pizza.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
None of it makes any sense (why should it?  they're Italian!).  If you want a cheese pizza, just order a cheese pizza.  Even the Milanese should know that they are confused about what a "Margherita" is.  Instead of saying "in our province we make the Margherita without basil.  They should say "In our province we make cheese pizzas and give a name that is designed to confuse customers."

Because people have their own interpretation of what a Margherita is now. You can walk into a lot of places here in the US that say "Margherita" on their menu but once you get it you're like "WTF is this", a white pizza with tomato slices, pesto, capiers and fresh mozzarella. People just like that word; "Margherita", and use it as a selling point then just put whatever they want on it.

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »
Margherita without basil is like the Italian Flag without the green stripe...

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »
My italian flag Pie !! not Margherita  :chef:
Made this weekend
damn I forgot the basil?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:58:56 PM »
My italian flag Pie !! not Margherita  :chef:
Made this weekend
damn I forgot the basil?
I salute your pizza...it is a thing of beauty.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kdefay

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
I salute your pizza...it is a thing of beauty.  :chef:

Very nice indeed!

pizzapan