Author Topic: Texas Pizza Summit 2  (Read 16327 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Texas Pizza Summit 2
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:06:04 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Texas Pizza Summit 2
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
Looking forward to the Low-down on the Hoe-down! ;D

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
Nice poster!! ;D
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline napoletana4germany

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
Craig, Omid and a legendary forno Accunto - bash of the titans!

isn't there a documentary filmmaker with team who can join and make it imaginable for all of us?!  8)  just dreaming...

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »
Craig, Omid and a legendary forno Accunto - bash of the titans!

isn't there a documentary filmmaker with team who can join and make it imaginable for all of us?!  8)  just dreaming...

I hope they are already there since it started yesterday. Good thought tho. I enjoyed the pics from last year!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »
I wondered why I kept looking south from Dallas and drooling this weekend ;D :drool: :drool:

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:15:48 AM »
tPS2 was a grand success.  I hope everyone made it home in one piece.  I really enjoyed the fine hospitality and wonderful company.  Thanks to Craig for the Big Show and the amazing dough.  Great to see the old crew again and meet everyone else who came this year. I learned some good stuff.
Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »
Just came home earlier tonight after partaking in the pizza summit.  It was a wonderful time and experience.  Got to see some friends from the forum and meet a few new ones.   I ate way too much pizza of course.  I am not complaining as it was all very good.   I was surprise at myself as I did not take any pictures, but my gf did.  I'll have to see what she got and what I can post.   I know the others took plenty of pictures so I am sure they will be up soon. 

Craig's pizza tastes as good as it looks in pictures.  I told him that I would be critical of his pies and give him honest feedback.  He did not disappoint.  Aside from the obvious killer combinations of flavors and expensive toppings he uses on his pies, the crust has to be reviewed by itself.  Craig makes an EXCELLENT crust crafted with sourdough starter and his very own methodology.  Not an easy feat to do well consistenty but Craig makes it look like child's play.   I thought his crust and pies were very balanced over all.  Not under cook or over cooked.  Texture was spot on for NP.   Very tender with a very slight hint of a crisp to the rim.  Airy with a light chew.  Definitely not heavy.  No hint of sourness, which is how I like the flavor to be.  Very easy to eat and very enjoyable.   Just the right amount of char.  All his pies are bake with careful attention.  This task becomes exceedingly harder as the bake times get shorter, but seems to be 2nd nature to Craig.   Sauce, cheese, toppings, were also very balanced as well.  I haven't eaten a lot of NP pizzas, but of the ones I have had commercially, Craig's Margherita ranks right next to my favorite from Amano.  Not only that, but it far exceeds many of the VPN and Non VPN NP places I've eaten at.   I know taste is a matter of opinion so this is just my opinion.  And if I didn't feel this strongly about Craig's Pizza, I wouldn't even be posting just b/c he is a nice guy.   Which btw, he is a most generous and gracious host.   We were all able to play and cook in his kitchen and with his oven as if we were in our own homes. 

If you couldn't make it, you definitely missed out.  If anyone considers themselves to be a fan of NP pizza, then Craig's pizza summit is a definite must visit.   Thanks Craig for a very nice visit and for the wonderful pizza. 

I also need to say that the Detroit pies provided by Brandon and Zane of VIA 313 out of Austin, were excellent as well. Better than what I have been able to make at home, so it gives me something to work towards since the drive to Austin is just too far for me. ;)

Chau

Offline dhorst

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:56:03 AM »
Well, I just got back to Syracuse, NY and the flight to and from Houston was well worth it.  I really enjoyed meeting these folks and learned a lot from them.  This was my first time in Texas, and I must say every one of the Texans I met, are the finest kind of people--friendly folks. 
It was also pretty neat meeting people from all over.  This is the farthest I've ever traveled  for great pizza and the advice and knowlege that was shared among this group was astounding to me.  Chau gave us an awesome lesson on making fresh mozzarella and Craig showed us how he makes dough and also how he checks its progress.  And then there were the different techniques as far as stretching a dough and the different toppings.  Just wonderful.
Craig was an awesome food tour guide in Houston.  Produce markets, a spice market, an upscale cheese market and Central Market and Costco?  I was in heaven.  And he also took me out for a some great tacos at a little place he knows, not to mention dinner out with some of the 37 Cooks.  So, thanks Craig for being such a great guy and cheers to everyone who was there.
Diana
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:22:11 AM by dhorst »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:20:10 AM »
I want to thank Craig so much for inviting me to join the Pizza Summit II.  I had a wonderful time and learned so much.  I also had the best Neapolitan pizzas I have ever tasted.  I enjoyed catching up with members I met before and also enjoyed meeting the members I hadn't met before.  Texas and the Pizza Summit II was a wonderful adventure for me.  All the food and talking to the different members was great.  I never will forget the Pizza Summit II.  Everyone seemed like old friends.   

This are only the photos from Friday night.  Java is also a wonderful dog.  I just got home about 15 minutes ago.  My connecting flight from Houston went fine, but at Chicago was delayed for about an hour to Philadelphia.

More photos to come later.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 02:28:20 AM »
Love, love, love that photo of Craig holding Java.  There is a bond there that is so touching.  Java is a wonderful dog, and I loved meeting him and giving him some pizza bones.  Hmm, I do wonder, Craig, since Miss Ellie loves tennis balls and pizza bones to the extreme, what would Java choose, if he had to pick one or the other?
Nicely said Norma, and it was a pleasure meeting you!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 02:35:19 AM »
Love, love, love that photo of Craig holding Java.  There is a bond there that is so touching.  Java is a wonderful dog, and I loved meeting him and giving him some pizza bones.  Hmm, I do wonder, Craig, since Miss Ellie loves tennis balls and pizza bones to the extreme, what would Java choose, if he had to pick one or the other?
Nicely said Norma, and it was a pleasure meeting you!

Diana,

I agree with all you posted.  It was also a pleasure meeting you.  You are such a great cook too.  :chef:  I also learned a lot from you.

Norma

Offline csafranek

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 05:16:26 AM »
I am so jealous I couldn't make it.  :'(  Sounds like everyone had an amazing time. Can't wait for more posts and pictures!!!!  :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 08:27:23 AM »
More photos at the Pizza Summit II and Craig's dough balls not too long before they were made into pizzas.  These photos were taken Saturday.

Houston was hot in more ways than the pizzas that were baked in Craig's oven too.  The first photo was the temperature in my rental car when I went to Craig's home on Saturday.  I love the road signs in Texas too.  I miss Houston already. 

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »
Nice poster!! ;D

It lived up to its billing. 106F on Saturday was the hottest day ever here in June and only 2F off the all-time record.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
Chau making mozzarella with Polly-O curd and milk.  Chau is a great mozzarella maker  :chef: and explained each step of the process and and all the methods he used.  The mozzarella Chau made melted beautifully in Craig's oven and tasted wonderful.  The mozzarella was really great eaten plain too.  Craig purchased the Polly O curd at Central Market.

More photos to post when they are resized.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
Bill's (wheelman) great invention of a mozzarella cutter.  Bill's mozzarella cutter worked really well.  It was a pleasure meeting you Bill.  I especially enjoyed listening to you explaining all about Italian wines.  I already forget the name of the wine we drank, but found the history you explained about that wine quite interesting.  I think Michelle and I learned a lot from you.  Thanks!  The name on the wine label is the 3rd photo.

Norma

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »
Wow...looks awesome!!

Craig---you are some kind of host; where did everyone sleep?

pizzapan