Author Topic: Texas Pizza Summit 2  (Read 17617 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Texas Pizza Summit 2
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 09:37:57 AM »
 holy ship!!!! what a line up of pm.com Allstars!!!! i cannot wait to see and read about this event!!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
Some of the varieties of wines we had to choose from. Of course there were many drinks to choose form. 

Thanks Diana for bringing along your Aleppo Chili Peppers and offering anyone to take some home if they wanted to. They smell and taste delicious! 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 09:49:19 AM »
Also more treats before the pizzas started to roll out of Craig's magnificent oven. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
Wow...looks awesome!!

Craig---you are some kind of host; where did everyone sleep?
Falcor,

Many of us got back to our hotels after 1 AM on the first day (Saturday), and some were still chugging along at Craig's place as we left, but as you can see from Reply 2015 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20791.msg262882.html#msg262882, Craig was still up and posting at 2:38:33 AM (Sunday morning).

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Norma, thanks for the great pics and commentary. Craig, thanks for hosting another wonderful, by all reports, event. In the past 10 yrs, I have been a member of Epic Ski, Badger and Blade , Calif BBQ Assoc , and now here. It is a great experience to be able to attend a gathering of like minded enthusiasts in whatever " jones" you currently have. My only wish is that we could have a gathering of PM.com members where we ALL could gather and shake each others hand in friendship, admiration, and GOOD EATS, thanks Alton!  ^^^

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline parallei

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
Looks like great fun! Thanks to all for the photo's and commentary.

As folks have noted, you're a one heck of a host Craig!

Offline landras

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
I also want to say thanks to Craig for inviting me to this fine event. Was great to meet and put a face on some of the members of the forum. Pizzas were superb! The best NP pizzas I ever had, specially the fig one, I had "dirty" dreams about that pizza!!! I am sorry i could not make it on sunday, i was really looking forward to try the breakfast pizzas.
I will post some pictures tonight from home. I wish for many more Texas Summits....
nico

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
More members and the first mouth-water delicious pies that Craig made.  Garlic scapes provided by Diana.  Craig was in the zone.   ;D  This is what Craig's one dough ball looked like right before it was baked into a pizza.

I can't wait to see other photos members took.

I have more photos to post later.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
Norma

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
Looks like everyone had an amazing time enjoying some great eats. Wish I could have been there.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
Pictures and description of the fig pizza please!!!!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
Wow, what a great start to a highly anticipated set of photos and re-caps. Great shots Norma, you're the Queen!

A real gathering of pizza royalty, all of you. I am truly sorry that I could not have attended.

To have been there to (finally) see Craig in action would have been fantastic. To have been able to see Craig, Chau and Omid all in various forms of mozzarella or pizza making would have been highly enlightening. I know I would have learned a tremendous amount from the incredibly talented people at the TPS II.

I'm really looking forward to more pictures and memories from the event.

Just fantastic. Everything that is good with pizza and camaraderie.

Love it. Hopefully I will see you all next year (assuming I am invited and there is a TPS III)

Best --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »
Norma, thanks for taking the shot of the refractory chamber dome in Craig's Acunto.  From what I can see in the pic, the quality of the construction looks excellent. Offset bricks, tight fitting, minimal mortar.

Very nice. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »
As with the other attendees at TXPSII, I would also like to thank Craig for his hospitality and generosity in hosting that event. I wasn't even sure I would be able to attend. I had just returned from a week in Mexico and had a queasy stomach and digestive reactions from something I ate or drank toward the end of my Mexico visit. But I decided that come hell or high water, I was going to attend PSII. Also, I knew that there would be a physician in attendance. That was Scott, known on the forum as pizza dr. As it turns out, Scott is a plastic surgeon. Plan B in case Scott couldn't help me if needed was to drink copious amounts of wine and eat the pizzas that Craig and others would prepare. But I will say up front that Scott is one hell of a guy. I very much enjoyed our conversations. I also learned that he was born in Texas, the son of cotton farmers. It would be a distinct pleasure to see him again at any future Texas Pizza summit.

I also enjoyed meeting the other members in attendance. The fact that there were so many superstars from the forum in attendance in itself compelled my attendance at TXSII. Getting to meet Diana, who is as lovely and friendly as they get, and to meet and chat with Chau (and his girlfriend Michelle), Norma, the Hunt brothers (the founders and owners of Via 313), Omid (Pizza Napoletana) and Antoine (breadstoneovens), and to see Tom (tscarborough) and Gene (deck_deck) and Bill (wheelman) again, as well as meet some of the newer members, was a real treat. As one might imagine, there was a lot of conversation about pizza, but the attendees also shared a lot about their personal lives outside of pizza. And there was a lot of laughter.

I perhaps spent the most time with the Hunt brothers, Zane and Brandon. Knowing that they were masters at the Detroit-style pizza, and successful with selling that style of pizza in the Austin area (they now have two trailers), I peppered them with quite a few questions. But, I told them up front that I did not want them to tell me any of their trade secrets since that would prevent me from disclosing them on the forum even if I were to reverse engineer what they were doing on my own. That said, I really enjoyed my conversations with Zane and Brandon. They are sharp guys who are dead serious with what they are doing and their plans for the future. And they are funny guys. And they know the Detroit pizza scene very well. Zane told me that he and Brandon spent two years researching, testing and developing their brand of Detroit style pizza before going public with it. They were also full of praise for Norma's Detroit-style pizzas. Norma tried to deflect the praise, but the Hunt boys told her that they meant what they said about her Detroit-style pizzas, and that they were in awe of her versions of that style.

As for the pizzas themselves, there is not much more that can be said than has already been said, or seen from the photos to date and to follow. The members who worked the ovens performed masterfully and produced some of the best pizzas that can be found anywhere. One of the big surprises was how well the new General Mills 00 flour performed. That is likely to engender a lot of discussion and debate on the forum.

I hope that things pan out such that there is a TXSIII. But life has its twists and turns that often dictate outcomes in ways that were unforseen.

Peter

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:34:58 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »
It was a true pleasure and privilege to attend the summit. I had much fun getting to meet so many people in person, exchanging some ideas and learning so much from everyone.

A big thank you to Craig for his hospitality and letting us use his oven.

Thought I would post a picture of my personal favorite pizza, ... with clams. Not easy to tell from the picture, but clams, shaved garlic, cream and a little parsley made an excellent pizza.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
Wow! I am very sorry I missed this event and miss out meeting everyone there!

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »
MEGA JEALOUS, YOU GUYS. Looks like a lot of fun. Chau: have you posted your mozzarella-making here on PM anywhere? I suppose I'm being lazy and can use the "search" function. I always think it's funny about making mozzarella and then using it on pizza — you start with a mess of jumbled-up curds, melt and knead them together into a ball, and then ... cut it all apart into a jumbled mess again. Heh.

That clam pizza really does look like a standout pie. Nice coloration, etc. Hope to visit CNG at some point. Hasta la pizza!
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »
Pictures and description of the fig pizza please!!!!

Mascarpone w/ a little bit of blue cheese mixed in, fresh figs, and a little pinch of Turkish chili flakes (Diana - dhorst brought them and can probably give you the name). Post bake, I added some fig preserves and prosciutto. It was excellent.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
Beautiful pies, as expected , and great write ups by Chau, Peter and Norma.
I'm darn curious though about which, if any , of the pies pictured are with the General Mills 00.

Perry

Offline csafranek

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »
Mascarpone w/ a little bit of blue cheese mixed in, fresh figs, and a little pinch of Turkish chili flakes (Diana - dhorst brought them and can probably give you the name). Post bake, I added some fig preserves and prosciutto. It was excellent.

How do you come up with these pizza topping combination?

Wow! Sounds great!  :drool: Also where do you get your figs? I didn't think they were in season?