Author Topic: Texas Pizza Summit 2  (Read 11803 times)

Offline landras

Re: Texas Pizza Summit 2
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
Mascarpone w/ a little bit of blue cheese mixed in, fresh figs, and a little pinch of Turkish chili flakes (Diana - dhorst brought them and can probably give you the name). Post bake, I added some fig preserves and prosciutto. It was excellent.

that is not true, it was not excellent it was OUT of this world!!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
I just got home, I have to sleep now.  Thanks Craig and all it was a great time.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
Beautiful pies, as expected , and great write ups by Chau, Peter and Norma.
I'm darn curious though about which, if any , of the pies pictured are with the General Mills 00.

Perry

Perry,

You literally can't tell them apart from the Caputo pies. I'm virtually certain these three were GM because I remember making the Margherita and the Mushroom to see how the flour performed, and I'm certain I handed Omid a GM ball when he made the pepperoni pie. There are 6 others mixed in, I can't tell which are which.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
My fastest bake ever - Sunday morning. 1100F on the walls and 975F on the deck. The pie was very good. Soft as a feather pillow and not a bit of wetness or gummyness. I'm going to stick with 50-55 seconds, but it was fun to see how fast you go.

All of the dough I made for TPS2 was:

60% HR
2.8% salt
1.3% Ischia

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
That was about 15 seconds on the deck.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
That was about 15 seconds on the deck.

Incredible. Maybe you could set some type of Guinness record lol? That was nice of you to invite so many people to your house for the weekend, seems like you had a good time.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »
First pie on Saturday was caputo.  2nd was GM flour.  I couldn't tell there was any difference in the look, texture, or taste between the two.  I was very surprise when Craig told me the 2nd pie was GM flour.

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »
Craig,
Just a little fine tuning on the outline of the State of Texas on the leaf on this one, and we can retire your number and reserve the spot in the Pizza Hall of Fame

Perry
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:48:37 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline dhorst

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
Mascarpone w/ a little bit of blue cheese mixed in, fresh figs, and a little pinch of Turkish chili flakes (Diana - dhorst brought them and can probably give you the name). Post bake, I added some fig preserves and prosciutto. It was excellent.

I was thinking that it was Urfa, but now I'm thinking that it was Kirmizi or Maras.  Guess I'll have to order all three and see how they compare.  Shh.  Don't tell my husband. :-D

http://aneducatedpalate.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/aleppo-kirmizi-maras-and-urfa-red-pepper/
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
First photo is of Omid opening one of Craig's dough balls.  I found it interesting how Omid opens dough balls.  I also found it interesting how Craig and Omid stretch the dressed skin on either the metal or wooden peel before sliding the pizzas into the oven.  I have to give that method a try when I can.   Omid first used the wooden peel Bill (wheelman) made him. 

Next photos are of Craig and other members making pizzas.  The only think I now regret about the Pizza Summit II is that I didn't try to bake a pie in Craig's beautiful oven.  Craig allowed any members that wanted to use his dough balls and bake pizzas in his oven.

It can be seen when the crumb of Craig's rim is torn apart how tender they are.  They just melted in your mouth.

Myself and others members had a nice chat with Omid later Saturday evening.  Omid's knowledge is amazing.  I had to laugh about the siren singing women.  I think Michelle, Bill and I all got a good laugh out of that.  It is about Greek mythology and goes something like this if I recall right.  The term "siren song" refers to an appeal that is hard to resist but that, if heeded, will lead to a bad conclusion.  From the songs of the sirens in Greek mythology, whose bewitching song lured mariners to their doom.  Maybe Omid can explain that better than I can if he wants to.

I still have more photos to resize. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
I loved to watch the Hunt brothers dress and bake their Detroit style pizzas in Craig's oven inside.  I had a nice chat with the Hunt brothers (Brandon and Zane) of Via 313 and they sure were interesting to talk to.  I think Peter might have asked them some questions when I wasn't inside though.  They baked their Detroit style pizzas on Craig's one pizza stone.  The meats they used sure were delicious and so were their Detroit style pizzas.  ;D  The Hunt brothers pizzas looked picture perfect to me. 

The only problem of being inside is I couldn't get to watch what was going on outside.  Photos are in inside and outside.  If members look at the flames in the one photo in this set of posts members might be surprised what happened when Craig lite logs on both sides of his oven for about a half an hour.  I thought it was sure interesting to see what happened.  The photos of when both sides of Craig's oven had logs lite will be in another set of photos. 

Norma
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:38:51 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Norma.  Peter, Bert from MPO also made a showing.  It was nice to meet Bert.  I'm sorry I was late on Saturday and didn't get a chance to play with the MPO.  I had asked Bert to bring his MPO to the party.  This visit was definitely too short for me.  If I can go again next year I will try to arrive several days in advance to have a proper look around Houston.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
It was nice to meet Bert.  I'm sorry I was late on Saturday and didn't get a chance to play with the MPO.  I had asked Bert to bring his MPO to the party.  This visit was definitely too short for me.  If I can go again next year I will try to arrive several days in advance to have a proper look around Houston.

Chau,

I agree it was nice to meet Bert too.  I didn't know Bert brought along his MPO.  I would have be interested in seeing Bert's MPO if I would have know he had it along with him. 

Norma

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
Thank you Craig for inviting me and your hospitality.

I went, I saw, I ate & ate & ate... all these pies tasted as awsome as they looked.

Best part, met amazing people. It looks, everyone made back home safely, It was nice meeting everyone.

Learned whole lot by watching and tasting

Bert,

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
I think Bert had it available to me but didn't actually bring it into the party.  Sorry I got so sidetracked Bert.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »
I am not, I enjoyed watching and having someone else make pizza for a change.
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »
I was enjoying chatting with everyone
Bert,

pizzapan