Author Topic: Texas Pizza Summit 2  (Read 15929 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Texas Pizza Summit 2
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »
Chau,

I agree it was nice to meet Bert too.  I didn't know Bert brought along his MPO.  I would have be interested in seeing Bert's MPO if I would have know he had it along with him. 

Norma

It was nice to meet you too. I hope to see everyone next year.
Bert,

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »
The first photos in these next set of posts is when Diana opened one of Craig's dough balls, dressed and made a pizza in Craig's oven.  Sorry, Diana I should have fiddled around with my camera so there would be a better lighting for the photos.  You sure were a pro though in how you opened the dough ball and baked the pizza.  I was too full at that point to try anymore pizza though.  I sure could go more more slices right now though.  Great job Diana!  :chef:

The next photos are from Sunday morning.  I would be interested to hear what other members think happens when both sides of the oven have logs that are lite.  Maybe Craig can explain what happens better than I can if no one can guess what happens.

One more set of photos to resize if I find time tonight.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
Norma

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
a few more shots....

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
craig's first pie of the night....

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »
Omid's technique, I wish I had video.  it was really enlightening to watch this method. he started in the flour and worked his way down the bench where there was very little flour.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »
Chau in action...

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
Some great photos there!  Nice work.  Did anyone shoot video? 

Offline sub

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
TPSII 023.JPG of course Omid is putting the pie-in da Michele style  :P

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »

Chau: have you posted your mozzarella-making here on PM anywhere? I suppose I'm being lazy and can use the "search" function. I always think it's funny about making mozzarella and then using it on pizza you start with a mess of jumbled-up curds, melt and knead them together into a ball, and then ... cut it all apart into a jumbled mess again. Heh.

Adam,

I am not Chau, but think this is Chau's thread for making fresh mozzarella from curd.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14423.0.html

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »
Any guess how many pizzas were made?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »
Did anyone shoot video?

I was thinking/hoping the same thing!
Thanks for all the pictures and descriptions, the pies look awesome! Boy, there certainly was quite a collection of pizza knowledge at this summit! Looks like we pizza makers here in the Northeast having something to live up to. Great job guys and gals!
Chaz

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »
Any guess how many pizzas were made?

40 Neapolitan and 3 or 4 Detroit
Pizza is not bread.

Offline landras

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 12:39:36 AM »
some pictures..

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 01:12:05 AM »
Craig, please call me tomorrow if you have time, I PM'd you my phone numbers, so I can personally apologize for taking so long to respond to your generous invite and my foolish putting off getting back to you. Reading these posts and seeing the pics makes me sick I wasn't there. Been fighting 7 herniated discs in my back and neck and have to plan accordingly for plane trips and such and waited to long. Please include me on the next Summit if one comes up and call me as you can in the next day or 2. I'm sure you are busy cleaning up. I also want to tell all the rest of you I sure wish I would have got to meet you and hope to in the future. Homemade Capicola promised on the next one!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2013, 05:55:48 AM »
These are the rest of the photos I took at the Pizza Summit II at Craig's home.  The first photo was taken Saturday of the ice cream Gene made and I helped a little with.  The ice cream was delicious and I am going to make it at home.  The photo was taken right after the ice cream came out of the ice cream freezer and before it was put into the freezer.  I forgot to take a photo when I ate it.  I was surprised what ingredients went into the ice cream. 

The rest of the photos were taken on Sunday, except the one of my two finger nails that were supposed to look like Craig's pizza.  The fingernail pizza didn't turn out right because there wasn't any brown paint for the pizza, so yellow paint was used instead. 

There are some photos of Craig's really fast bake times.  I tore apart the rim crumb again to show how tender the crumb was.  Craig's pizza sure were delicious and I will never forget them.  :drool:  I forgot to take a photo of Tom's breakfast pizza.  It was delicious too.  Tom also made doughs for pizzas. 

The one photo is of Peter and me.  Peter sure has helped me a lot on learning about pizzas, has been my mentor about learning about different pizzas, and I have enjoyed working with him on reverse engineering and cloning threads.  Those threads have taught me a lot about pizzas, even though I might not be able to remember it all.  I can still go back though those threads and see what happened though.  That is the great thing about this forum that everyone is so helpful if anyone really wants to learn about pizzas, no matter what type they are. Craig's Pizza Summit II also taught me a lot and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to meet the members that attended. 

Thanks again Craig!  ;D

The last photo is of me flying home towards Chicago.  I had an interesting conversation with a young man sitting next to me about pizzas in Chicago.  I had asked him what his favorite pizzas were in Chicago and he told me his one favorite pizza was Home Run Inn.  I had to ask the question of if their crust is really flaky.  What he told me surprised me somewhat.  He said he would not call HRI crust flaky, but crispy.  That gave me some food for thought.  This younger man had been in the military and had traveled to many places and ate pizzas, before he went back to his home town of Chicago.  The younger man's other favorite pizza was the stuffed dish style of Chicago and he said that crust is more biscuity.  You just never know where you might learn something new about any kind of pizzas.  Craig's home taught me a lot more too about Neapolitan pizzas and Chau sure taught me a lot about making mozzarella from curd.  Thanks Chau!  8)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2013, 06:04:42 AM »
I forgot to mention in my last post that Craig's beautiful oven looked a lot bigger to me in person than it looks from photos he has posted.  That is sure a sweet oven. 

Norma
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:07:27 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2013, 06:10:59 AM »
Later Saturday night some of us at the outside table had an interesting conversation about how pizza started with Omid.  Omid is very knowledgeable and I enjoyed all he had to say.  Thanks Omid!  ;) 

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
"Big sigh"......oh well, maybe next year.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
While on the one hand I would have immensely enjoyed being in the presence of such "pizza greats" at the TPSII, I would have at the same time felt embarrassed at my novice skills! What an impressive array of talent and pies!!

Craig is an amazing teacher --- we all know that. But to be willing to open up his home to fellow forum members as he has done now twice...well that just goes beyond words. Nice job everyone!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!