Author Topic: Texas Pizza Summit 2  (Read 25429 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Texas Pizza Summit 2
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2013, 05:55:48 AM »
These are the rest of the photos I took at the Pizza Summit II at Craig's home.  The first photo was taken Saturday of the ice cream Gene made and I helped a little with.  The ice cream was delicious and I am going to make it at home.  The photo was taken right after the ice cream came out of the ice cream freezer and before it was put into the freezer.  I forgot to take a photo when I ate it.  I was surprised what ingredients went into the ice cream. 

The rest of the photos were taken on Sunday, except the one of my two finger nails that were supposed to look like Craig's pizza.  The fingernail pizza didn't turn out right because there wasn't any brown paint for the pizza, so yellow paint was used instead. 

There are some photos of Craig's really fast bake times.  I tore apart the rim crumb again to show how tender the crumb was.  Craig's pizza sure were delicious and I will never forget them.  :drool:  I forgot to take a photo of Tom's breakfast pizza.  It was delicious too.  Tom also made doughs for pizzas. 

The one photo is of Peter and me.  Peter sure has helped me a lot on learning about pizzas, has been my mentor about learning about different pizzas, and I have enjoyed working with him on reverse engineering and cloning threads.  Those threads have taught me a lot about pizzas, even though I might not be able to remember it all.  I can still go back though those threads and see what happened though.  That is the great thing about this forum that everyone is so helpful if anyone really wants to learn about pizzas, no matter what type they are. Craig's Pizza Summit II also taught me a lot and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to meet the members that attended. 

Thanks again Craig!  ;D

The last photo is of me flying home towards Chicago.  I had an interesting conversation with a young man sitting next to me about pizzas in Chicago.  I had asked him what his favorite pizzas were in Chicago and he told me his one favorite pizza was Home Run Inn.  I had to ask the question of if their crust is really flaky.  What he told me surprised me somewhat.  He said he would not call HRI crust flaky, but crispy.  That gave me some food for thought.  This younger man had been in the military and had traveled to many places and ate pizzas, before he went back to his home town of Chicago.  The younger man's other favorite pizza was the stuffed dish style of Chicago and he said that crust is more biscuity.  You just never know where you might learn something new about any kind of pizzas.  Craig's home taught me a lot more too about Neapolitan pizzas and Chau sure taught me a lot about making mozzarella from curd.  Thanks Chau!  8)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2013, 06:04:42 AM »
I forgot to mention in my last post that Craig's beautiful oven looked a lot bigger to me in person than it looks from photos he has posted.  That is sure a sweet oven. 

Norma
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:07:27 AM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2013, 06:10:59 AM »
Later Saturday night some of us at the outside table had an interesting conversation about how pizza started with Omid.  Omid is very knowledgeable and I enjoyed all he had to say.  Thanks Omid!  ;) 

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
"Big sigh"......oh well, maybe next year.

Offline Serpentelli

• Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
While on the one hand I would have immensely enjoyed being in the presence of such "pizza greats" at the TPSII, I would have at the same time felt embarrassed at my novice skills! What an impressive array of talent and pies!!

Craig is an amazing teacher --- we all know that. But to be willing to open up his home to fellow forum members as he has done now twice...well that just goes beyond words. Nice job everyone!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »
Three letters to say...

WOW!!!

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
It is gift in and of itself to see the smiles on everyone's faces in those pictures, knowing that a splendid time was had by all; brought about by a deep love for everything involving pizza.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
While on the one hand I would have immensely enjoyed being in the presence of such "pizza greats" at the TPSII, I would have at the same time felt embarrassed at my novice skills! What an impressive array of talent and pies!!

Craig is an amazing teacher --- we all know that. But to be willing to open up his home to fellow forum members as he has done now twice...well that just goes beyond words. Nice job everyone!

John K

John, talk about novice skills.  I couldn't make a round pie to save my life!  And I couldn't even blame it on the alcohol.   Too much blackstone and not enough wfo for me. :-D

Offline Serpentelli

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
John, talk about novice skills.  I couldn't make a round pie to save my life!  And I couldn't even blame it on the alcohol.   Too much blackstone and not enough wfo for me. :-D

Sorry Chau, I'm not buying it! You have too much history that says otherwise!

John K

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »

John K

Well said John and I couldn't agree more.
Chaz

Offline dhorst

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
I just uploaded a bunch of photos and some video from the Summit to my flickr account.  Nothing has been edited yet--there are a few blurry photos and my video is somewhat shaky and sometimes was activated by accident.  New phone and I'm still getting used to it.  But if you want to peruse...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhorst1/sets/72157634443041113/

The first photo in the set is not from the Summit, it's actually Craig and me with some of the 37 Cooks who live in the Houston area, after dinner.

I'll try to edit later tonight.

Diana

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
Diana, thanks for the pics and video. Great to have fresh stuff every day!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Serpentelli

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
I just uploaded a bunch of photos and some video from the Summit to my flickr account.  Nothing has been edited yet--there are a few blurry photos and my video is somewhat shaky and sometimes was activated by accident.  New phone and I'm still getting used to it.  But if you want to peruse...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhorst1/sets/72157634443041113/

The first photo in the set is not from the Summit, it's actually Craig and me with some of the 37 Cooks who live in the Houston area, after dinner.

I'll try to edit later tonight.

Diana

Bless you Diana for taking video of the TPSII!!!

And CURSE YOU for taking ONLY 1 video!!!! :-D

I love the pics but the video is something else! Maybe more will surface??

John K

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2013, 04:19:12 PM »
Shortly after I immigrated to the United States of America in 1984, the very first T-shirt that I purchased here (on Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles, CA) had an imprint on it that read, "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS". That's where I will be tomorrow!

I have a feeling that it is going to be an indelible event!

Dear friends, I'm currently at the Houston airport. About 20 minutes ago, the airline notified me that my flight to San Diego has been delayed by one hour. So I started walking around the terminal and suddenly I came upon this shirt at a gift shop. Perfect gift for my wife!

(I miss you all)
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline dhorst

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2013, 05:03:48 PM »
Bless you Diana for taking video of the TPSII!!!

And CURSE YOU for taking ONLY 1 video!!!! :-D

I love the pics but the video is something else! Maybe more will surface??

John K

There should be more than one.
Omid Opening a Dough
20130629_190118

There are a couple others, but they are just blurbs, due to operator error.  The second one linked might make you woozy in the beginning.  I have a year to practice using my new phone, or perhaps even splurge on a nice camera for next year's Summit, and I promise there will be plenty more video!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »
Diana, sheer torture and punishment for me to watch these videos and pics and not making it down there. Hope to make it next year and meet you and the others in person. Talked with Craig a bit this afternoon and promised next one I would bring homemade cured meats and capicola

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline dhorst

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »
Diana, sheer torture and punishment for me to watch these videos and pics and not making it down there. Hope to make it next year and meet you and the others in person. Talked with Craig a bit this afternoon and promised next one I would bring homemade cured meats and capicola

jon

I look forward to meeting you and tasting your homemade cured meats and capicola!  I must say I had the greatest time there.  These people are the finest kind of folks and Craig is quite the host.  He's a pretty funny guy and was kind enough to show me around some of Houston's markets.  I scored some great cheeses and fennel pollen while I was there!
I just hope to be more accomplished with the camera next time.  I really wish I had captured Chau on video making mozzarella.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »
If you're ever looking for Scot (pizza dr), he's the one with flourbelly.  :-D Seriously though, he really worked the oven well.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
John (Serpentelli) couldn't make it, so he sent Jefferson in his stead. Amazing generosity abounded. 
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Diana (dhorst) - the discover of Aleppo (worthy of the Nobel Prize for Pizza, I might add) - brought the mystical spice, an amazing selection of cheeses and cured meats, and the wonderful garlic scapes. Thank you so much!!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
You need lots of refreshments when it's 106F outside.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »
Flourbelly in action

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
Beautiful pie, Scot!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »
The clam pie from the video above.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »
Diana with her lovely rabbit food pie.  ;D

pizzapan