Author Topic: Pizza dough is gluey and sticky under fresh ingredients.  (Read 1488 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Pizza dough is gluey and sticky under fresh ingredients.
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
This is the second time I've had this. What am I doing wrong? I put some small tomatoes that I boiled the skin off and deseeded and fresh mozzarella. Is it perhaps the fresh ingredients that is making the dough underneath them gluey? This is way to gross to say you're an aficionado. Please help.

Offline shuboyje

Re: Pizza dough is gluey and sticky under fresh ingredients.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
Sounds like you are having issues with a gum layer, if so your assumptions are correct.  Excess moisture causes it, and the excess moisture in your case is probably coming from the toppings.  How are you baking the pizza?
-Jeff

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »
Jeff is "spot on". One trick that I occasionally use is to place the tomatoes on a few pieces of paper towel to blot up some of the excess moisture/juice from the tomatoes. Also, make sure you're not overloading the pizza with tomatoes and/or fresh vegetable toppings. This can be especially problematic in a commercial deck oven or home type ovens with limited airflow characteristics. The air impingement ovens that are all the rage to day with the big box chains actually do an excellent job of managing all that moisture, but same cannot be said for deck, woodburning, or home type ovens. One thing that you might try is to very lightly paint the pizza skin with oil before you dress it. The oil will help to create a barrier to the penetration of moisture into the dough, thus allowing more of the moisture to evaporate without soaking into the dough during baking.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
Thanks guys. I hope that is all the possibilities on it. I asked my friend yesterday and he said I may need to par-bake it a bit or use more flour. I had been thinking of putting some more flour on the outside o the top. Is this a good idea? I think the oil idea is great, but we never did that at home so I feel like I'm trying to be overly fancy to the point that it's not authentic. It was in Pascquale Bruno's book on Chicago Pizza though so..  Also I have another question: what is this 'gum-layer'? I'm guessing it's just the idea I was talking about, but is there anything more? Thanks a lot again guys. You really know your stuff. I've been making pizza more decades now, but I can tell I'm going to learn how to perfect things here.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:14:56 AM »
Hey that works. Wow thanks. That's a lot of links.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:29 AM »
"Sauce too watery; tomato product has excessive syneresis (water separation)

(1) Add less water to the sauce, and/or (2) use a thicker tomato product, and/or (3) use a higher quality tomato product."

Also it was noted that there maybe an improper amount of malt in the dough. It suggested getting better flour. I have to say the flour I am using is pretty darn cheap. I'm trying to find some of that 00 flour. I will have to go to Whole Foods for that tomorrow in Nashville. I'm sure someone will say it's not necessary, but the idea of chlorine in my food grosses me out. I think it'll be good to have a good crisp crust that's more European.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
Ok I made Chicago Style recently and this was what I was talking about. Any thoughts?