Author Topic: Nomad Pizza  (Read 2014 times)

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
Nomad Pizza
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
Just got back from a visit of Nomad Pizza in NJ.  Margherita was fantastic and the Spinach Pie was pretty damn good as well.  Happened to treck over to the bathroom and noticed a few crates of Bianco di Napoli tomatoes in the back.  I gotta say, I remember my previous visit to Nomad thinking these tomatoes tasted ridiculously good.  I guess Chris Bianco's tomatoes are truly that good.

Offline scott123

Re: Nomad Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »
Ben, that's good to hear that Nomad is stepping up their game.

Perhaps they worked out the kinks from Stalin's departure:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20720.msg206066.html#msg206066

or, maybe, Stalin's back.  Was there a guy in glasses tending the oven?

http://cbsphilly.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/bedon_stalin-nomad_pizza-hadas.jpg?w=420&h=313

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:51:09 PM »
The guy at the oven was Tom Grim.  I was at the Hopewell NJ location as I only live about 10 minutes away.  Haven't been to the Philly location but the Hopewell pies look about 10 times better than these pictures I'm looking at from the other thread.  I would say the execution was top notch.  As far as Nomad goes, I shy away from their other pies and usually stick with a Margherita or Soppresat pie.  I did have the spinach yesterday because I was curious how Cherry Grove's cheese comes out on the pie.  I live right near Cherry Grove Farm but their cheese is like 25 bucks a pound so I never had the balls to waste it on a pie.  I'd say that both pies were executed perfectly though with the perfect amount of leoparding and balance of ingredients.  As far as the spinach pie goes, I think it would be better with just straight Mozzarella instead of trying to get fancier.  I would have taken some pictures but its kinda hard with your 16 month old son constantly grabbing at everything. 

I think you are right though.  The other pies just don't seem too appealing to me and its doubtful Nomad will achieve national acclaim status on Margherita alone. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:56:52 PM by BenLee »

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:02:57 AM »
Haven't been to the Philly location but the Hopewell pies look about 10 times better than these pictures I'm looking at from the other thread.

Glad to hear it.  Since the pies in the other thread were about 10 times worse than what  Neapolitan pizza should be, then it sounds like they finally got their act together. I'm hopeful for Hopewell :)  But the Mugnaini oven pies in Philly- even with Stalin tending the oven, I'm skeptical.

Roberto doesn't really have a signature pie, but he's got national attention. I was seeing a similar trajectory for Stalin. The Hopewell pies, when I went, were on par with Amano.  If he could have gone with the Ferrara at the Philly location and trained people to match Hopewell, all while maintaining top quality at Hopewell, I think he had a chance to eventually rise to a Roberto level of fame.  Maybe something along the lines of the Roberto of Philadelphia.  But with a Mugnaini... I don't see it.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:01:59 AM »
I ate at Nomad last night.  Was by myself and just got the Bufala Margherita.  Delicious pie.  Really good looking too.  Very tender crust, good leoparding on the cornicione, though the underside of pie could have been a bit more spotted.  Tasty ingredients all around, good cheese, sauce and dough.  Dough was very tasty.  Would've liked to see a bigger bubble in the cornicione but the guys preparing the pies seemed a bit aggressive.

Very good, definitely the best I've had in NJ, though I've yet to try Amano in Ridgewood.