Author Topic: How do you remove seeds from canned whole tomatoes?  (Read 2366 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
How do you remove seeds from canned whole tomatoes?
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
I have been making at least one pie each week for the past 18 months or so. I almost always use canned San Marzano tomatoes. I have never taken the seeds out of the tomatoes until today. I generally use an immersion blender ( boat motor ) to make my sauce. Never cooked. So I know some of you use a food mill instead of the blender to avoid adding heat to the sauce.  wonder if it really matters?  :o  I had a mill for years that I never used and gave it to the thrift store. Should I get another?
And more importantly, maybe, how do you separate the seeds from the tomato sauce?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: How do you remove seeds from canned whole tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
I have been making at least one pie each week for the past 18 months or so. I almost always use canned San Marzano tomatoes. I have never taken the seeds out of the tomatoes until today. I generally use an immersion blender ( boat motor ) to make my sauce. Never cooked. So I know some of you use a food mill instead of the blender to avoid adding heat to the sauce.  wonder if it really matters?  :o  I had a mill for years that I never used and gave it to the thrift store. Should I get another?
And more importantly, maybe, how do you separate the seeds from the tomato sauce?

Mark
The food mill.
I never heard that one about a boat motor adding heat....I know it can over aerate if you give it a chance to. End up with frothy sauce.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »

My food mill has three different sized grates. I think anything but the largest one will remove the seeds on mine, due to the holes being so small. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
Dump can in bowl  Crack open tomatoe, de stem, and drag it open thru the liquid,   whala most are gone repeat for all 47 in the can then if you want juice strain it with finer mesh  just smaller than seeds I dont get em all but takes most
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »
"whala"  ;D.....John don't have no time for mess'in round.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:29:31 AM »
Bob, I know that the boat motor creates some heat. I have not measured temps, but just may do that. I do know for a fact that several members here who are really into doing the best use the food mill. I know that there are levels of acceptance when pie making goes, reference the thread about freezing sauce.
Today I strained the seeds out by hand, surprising how few seeds there were.

Thanks all for your replys.

Mark

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:49 AM »
Mark,

Why remove the seeds? You may want to consider leaving them in as the seeds and "jelly" are said to contain most of the natural flavor enhancer, glutamic acid.  See this short video by member Bill/SFNM on his approach: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10881.msg97222.html#msg97222

--Tim

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Tim, thanks for the vid and comments. Just yesterday I saw an interview with Tony Gemignani

http://www.tonyspizzanapoletana.com/index.php

[/size]He states that he removes the seeds from his tomatoes because they add a "bitter taste".
[/size]I have heard this before and yet have never done it. Since I am still a novice at pizza making, I am still trying many  varieties and methods.

[/size]Once I perfect the technique of seed removal, only then can I make a comparison as too which method I like best.

[/size]Seeds or no.

[/size]Mark

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
Hello Mark,

I have agree with Tim. Why spend all that time removing the seeds? I have heard the bitterness theory many times as well. However, several of the high end WFO Pizzeria owners that i have talked with, don't remove the seeds. They do drain off the juice and use it for Marinara, but blend up the SM tomates into Pomodoro sauce. (A pomodoro sauce, is a lot like the marinara sauce only it's thicker, but still liquidy)

Most only add a little salt, but some add a little sugar if that particular can of SM is not as sweet as they would like. Some Pizzeria owners are very picky about what SM brands they use. Others state that the bitterness is due to the tomato that you are using. It is almost like the different opinions on cooking the sauce or using it straight onto the pizza. (I agree with not cooking it first)

Over all, IMO, I don't spend the time removing seeds. I really don't think it makes that big of a difference, IMO.  I just try to buy a good SM Tomatoe Brand that I trust.  Hope that helps or saves you some time.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.msg261519.html#msg261519
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:52:48 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
Tim, thanks for the vid and comments. Just yesterday I saw an interview with Tony Gemignani

http://www.tonyspizzanapoletana.com/index.php

[/size]He states that he removes the seeds from his tomatoes because they add a "bitter taste".
[/size]I have heard this before and yet have never done it. Since I am still a novice at pizza making, I am still trying many  varieties and methods.

[/size]Once I perfect the technique of seed removal, only then can I make a comparison as too which method I like best.

[/size]Seeds or no.

[/size]Mark

Tony Gemignani has some fantastic books. Don't mean to disagree with him.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
Just finished a conversation with another Pizzeria friend that makes fantastic pizza. He stated that SM are over rated (in his opinion). He swears by Stanislaus Foods - Alta Cucina Plum Tomatoes. To him, they are the GOLD standard for tomatoes. He crushes them by hand and does not remove the seeds either.

Just thought that I would pass that conversaton on to you.

TomN

http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Alta

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
Tom, I have eaten Tony's sauce both on the pie and alone at his class. Was it less bitter because the seeds were taken out ??? .

I also was able to visit the Stanislaus booth in Vegas this year. I sampled their sauce and ate some of their samples. They had a really nice set up.

I think that there are differing opinions on this seed issue, and differing abilities to taste the difference of seed vs no seed.

Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Thanks to you to all for your continued help in my pizza journey.

Mark

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:47:46 PM »
I'm in the no seed camp.  I use the "Italian Tomato Press" from Williams Sonoma (the less expensive of the two they sell)...got a nice discount from a friend that worked at WS. 

It is quick and I actually enjoy running the tomatoes through it.  I love the resulting sauce. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:53:39 PM by Pizzaddict »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »
I'm in the no seed camp.  I use the "Italian Tomato Press" from Williams Sonoma (the less expensive of the two they sell)...got a nice discount from a friend that worked at WS. 

It is quick and I actually enjoy running the tomatoes through it.  I love the resulting sauce. 

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone would tell me a specific brand that works for them.

Mark

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
Mark,

I list a lot of brands on my other thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.msg249887.html#msg249887

So far I love CENTO and Stanislaus Tomatoes. I plan to shop over the holiday at an Italian store in my area and try several brands. I will post the results as I try them.

TomN

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
I am in the 'remove the seeds' camp myself, but it's damn near impossible to remove them all so don't worry too much.   I have a small food mill with 3 different sized screens and anything other than the large screen will remove most of them during the milling process.  I also drain all of the packing water/juice from the can and open each tomato up and clean out the guts before milling as well.

Does it make a difference?   ???  Either it does or I have convinced myself that it does.  ;)

I use Cento and Central Market DOP's for my home bakes as they are the easiest to find here in Central Texas.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »
I think Bill's video clip about how he uses the seeds in his sauce making and the quote from the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, "... the seeds and jelly actually contain three times the amount of flavor-enhancing glutamic acid as the flesh ..." , have made me lean toward keeping the seeds in the sauce. However, I will experiment with it, both ways.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10881.0.html

Skip ahead to 2:15 on the youtube clip
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:00:50 AM by TomN »