Author Topic: Herbs  (Read 2279 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Herbs
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
Thanks to this site I have made huge gains in my understanding of many aspects of pizzamaking.  One area I haven't seen discussed much is the use of herbs.  I hope to spark a discussion here.

Here's a brief overview of what I believe to be accepted wisdom (please feel free to disagree and/or discuss):

The most commonly used herbs in pizzamaking are basil and oregano, with perhaps rosemary as a distant third???
Fresh is better than dried, however dried is more commonly used.
The most common ways to use herbs:  1) In the sauce  2) on the pizza before baking  3)  on the pizza after baking
Different pizza traditions emphasize different herbs:  Neapolitan uses basil, NY uses primarily oregano (??), Chicago uses neither?
Is crushed red pepper an herb?  Is it used in any pizza tradition other than NY/streetpizza/by-the-slice??

So what herbs do you use?  How do you use them?  What is traditional?  Any comments, insights, disagreements, suggestions are welcome.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Herbs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 03:08:14 PM »
Professor Carlo Mangoni, an expert in the pizza traditions of Naples, considers the use of oregano if the pizza has basil as "Abominable".1

1 "Naples at Table" by Arthur Schwartz, page 69

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
Marjoram.Not mentioned or used as much as it could be IMO.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »
David,

A lot of what is commonly sold as oregano is really marjoram, which has created a lot of confusion. See, for example, http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/gilbert/oregano.htm.

Peter

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »
I don't like the oregano that you buy from the store that is dried,but it is better than "normal" oregano you grow.
I have been growing Greek oregano (oreganum vulgare Hirtum) which is much much better. I also use Mexican oregano (lippa graveolins).
 There is also another Mexican oregano (poliomentha longaflora) that is native to Texas that is not to bad...
Bud 

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »
David,

A lot of what is commonly sold as oregano is really marjoram, which has created a lot of confusion. See, for example, http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/gilbert/oregano.htm.

Peter

That's all new to me Peter.Thanks!
I can't agree more than how she described fresh marjoram as perfumey sweet .An absolute treat.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market