Author Topic: Dough ball temperature after 24 hrs in fridge  (Read 612 times)

Offline mililani

• I Love Pizza!
Dough ball temperature after 24 hrs in fridge
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »
Hi folks,

I did some searches and can't find the answer to my question.  I was wondering, is there a proper dough ball temperature that I should be aiming for during cold ferments?  I mean, is there a temperature considered TOO cold or too warm?  I just checked my dough ball after being in the fridge for 24 hours, and it's reading under 40F.  I'm thinking that's way too cold.  Any thoughts?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Dough ball temperature after 24 hrs in fridge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
Mil;
The key to effective dough management is the temperature of the dough after mixing. In a home setting there are so many variables involved that it is impossible to give a hard and fast temperature. As a rule, 70 to 75F temperature immediately after mixing should work well for you BUT in the end, you will need to experiment to find the temperature that works best for you using your own specific dough management procedure and fridge as well as dough containers, etc. The temperature of the dough ball(s) after 24-hours in the fridge only reflects the temperature of your fridge, and 40F is right at about where I would expect it to be. When using a refrigerated dough management procedure, I think it is best to keep the dough at a temperature slightly below 45F, but do not allow it to drop to freezing (32F). The main thing is to be consistent in always having the same dough temperature off of the mixer, and then using the same management times and placing the dough into the fridge in the same location. Like in real estate, location counts in dough management too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline mililani

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough ball temperature after 24 hrs in fridge
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
Much thanks, Doc!

pizzapan