Author Topic: Thanks to Randy and Pete-zza  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Musky

Thanks to Randy and Pete-zza
« on: February 11, 2007, 01:07:14 AM »
I've been bouncing around here for a few weeks.  I made a deep dish and made two attempts at cracker style.  I decided to try an American to go with a deep dish this weekend.  After reading through the American style forum, I decided to make an effort following Pete-zza's tweaking of Randy's American recipe.  I followed the high-gluten recipe for a "thin" style 16" pizza.  I could not locate high gluten so I used KA Bread Flour leaving all the percentages the same.  I'm sure when Randy developed this recipe he was expecting the puffy rims on the crust.  I noticed he advised someone on another thread if they did not want that characteristic in a pizza to roll the dough.

I followed that recipe while preparing the dough, but I decided to roll it to make it thin.  After 48 hours in the fridge and about 3 hours on the counter, the dough was very easy to work with.  I rolled it out to around 18", put it on the screen, and then used a kitchen shears to cut around the edge of the screen.  I applied the toppings to within a half inch of the edge.  I used half whole milk and half part skim mozzarella.

I baked it with the screen on a stone at 525 for about 9 minutes.  It did not appear to rise as much as the pies in
Pete-zza's pictures, which was what I had hoped for.  It had a nice light crispness on the bottom, but also could be folded.  Both my wife and I loved the sweetness imparted by the sugar and honey in the recipe.  I topped the pizza with spicy sausage, pepperoni, and diced roasted red pepper.  The sweetness of the crust and the sweetness of roasted pepper, provided a great contrast to the spicy meats.  My wife could not stop exclaiming about the sweet flavor of the crust.  Way to go Randy.

Thanks for putting the time in on these recipes guys.  Hope you don't mind the rolling it thin.  I've really been digging on this pizza making deal, and love this web site.  I became a bronze member.   :chef:  Below are a few pics.  Had good luck with the deep dish, too, but my wife said she could eat this one a couple times a week.  Now if I can convince my nine year old daughter to eat something besides a frozen cheese pizza, I'll really be in business.

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:40:59 AM by Musky »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Thanks to Randy and Pete-zza
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 07:49:58 AM »
Muskey, that is nice of you say.  It is always good to read someone enjoyed a recipe that we have posted.  On rolling the dough, no problem at all, make it your way fits here too.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Thanks to Randy and Pete-zza
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »
Musky,

I thank you also. You made a mighty nice looking pie.

You may have lost a bit of rise in the rim by rolling out the dough and also making the skin thinner by using 18" (trimmed to 16"), which may have left less dough for the rim. Of course, that wouldn't detract from the flavor, which is more important in my opinion.

Peter