Author Topic: GM 00 Flour....  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Jackitup

GM 00 Flour....
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
I read that this flour was a pretty fine performer at TXSII. What is this flour labeled as, GM 00 or Harvest King 00 or as a Pizzeria flour?? I want to know the exact labeling to see if I can get it from the local Con Agra flour Mill that is 6 block from my house. I can usually get 50# bags at < wholesale prices if they have it in stock.

Thanks

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: GM 00 Flour....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
Jon,

Here are the GM specs for the flour in question:

http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/gm-neapolitan-hearth-style-pizza-flour-50-lb/50237000?mct=Flour&ct=pizza&typ=Category

You will find a lot more on this flour, including a photo of the flour bag, at this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25618.msg258278.html#msg258278

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
Thank you very much Peter, exactly what I needed!

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
I just got off the phone with Con Agra and they said they have one that out performs the GM00 but were very cryptic about it as the were in the final stages of development????

jon

Offline DocB0311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

Hi, I have compared the GM to Caputo, San Felice and Bay States Contadina head to head on the same day. It doesn't come close to any of them. They need to go back to the drawing board on this one. Extensibility is nonexistent, oven pop is minimal. The crust browns nicely and holds well in the center of the pie but lacks the sweetness and nuttiness of the others. The texture is also more dense than the others.

Offline Peasant

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »

Hi, I have compared the GM to Caputo, San Felice and Bay States Contadina head to head on the same day. It doesn't come close to any of them. They need to go back to the drawing board on this one. Extensibility is nonexistent, oven pop is minimal. The crust browns nicely and holds well in the center of the pie but lacks the sweetness and nuttiness of the others. The texture is also more dense than the others.

That contradicts what I've read from some other members here.  You sure you ahve the right GM flour?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »
DocB0311,

You might want to look at Craig's post at Reply 42 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26074.msg263130.html#msg263130  and see what he had to say about the new GM flour.  The other members at Craig's Pizza Summit II thought the new GM flour made good Neapolitan pizzas too.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline csafranek

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:49:14 AM »
I was very impressed with this flour! Here are some pizzas I did with it yesterday.

Offline Peasant

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »
I was very impressed with this flour! Here are some pizzas I did with it yesterday.

Nice; have you done a side-by-side with a Caputo pie?

I find it very disturbing to look at that last upside down picture.  Like a deep gut feeling of fear; I want to dive and catch that falling pizza.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »

Me too! They look great.  And your photos are incredible. What's your setup for taking such great photos? Do you post-process them? The colors are so vibrant. 

Regards,

TinRoof  :pizza:

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
  i have just tried this flour and it is very close to caputo. i think it is milled the same as caputo with no additives or malt. it seems to have more spring in it and produces a very yellow finished crust. i think the flavor is still a little more like a french bread where caputo has a flavor all its own.i can pick out caputo by its smell in raw flour form ans i think it comes thru in the finished product. it is so close it is hard to justify the major price difference of 31.00 vs 16.75. i have one more bag left to try.  on a side note i used it for my mobile oven last week which the pictures are from. last night i did the same group they remarked the pies were very good tonight, but not quite as good as last week.  the only difference was the flour.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
Great looking pies Larry!

Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
 thanks norma, i saw and read your testing the same flour i think it is the best effort yet to give us high temperature flour, i have to commit to 50 bags for my distributor to carry it. i'm going to use my last bag before i commit to it.
  that last shot got in by mistake it was a house we did a party at it was amazing!!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »
I didn't notice a yellow color in the crust when I tried it. I hardly noticed any difference vs. Caputo at all for that matter.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »
thanks norma, i saw and read your testing the same flour i think it is the best effort yet to give us high temperature flour, i have to commit to 50 bags for my distributor to carry it. i'm going to use my last bag before i commit to it.
  that last shot got in by mistake it was a house we did a party at it was amazing!!!

Larry,

I also think GM did a good job with their new GM flour.  Although I don't make a lot of Neapolitan pizzas, I ate at least one slice with the new GM flour at Craig's Pizza Summit and I couldn't tell the difference.  I probably had too much flour on my wooden peel when I made the attempts in my BBQ grill and my grill wasn't the optimal place to test the GM flour, but the pizzas still were good.  The dough was really nice using Craig's methods.

Will be interested if you decide to keep using the GM flour.

Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
The un bleached flour has a yellower look in the finished pie as well as the raw dough. I'll see if it can be photographed . The gm flour Had more lift and a more open crust. I added 1 percent more water that may have caused it.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:44 AM »
An example

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »
Great looking pies. Wish i could eat one. How do you make your sauce and what brand of cheese do you use? I am always curious and ask. Thanks for sharing. Best to you and continued success.

TomN