Author Topic: first bake with new stone  (Read 659 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
first bake with new stone
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
I purchased a 18"x18"x1" stone that Scott had reccomended. 

http://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-18x18x1square.aspx

Up until now I have been occasionally cooking pizzas on 1/4" red clay tiles in the home oven with not that great results.   I am a high school special education teacher working with developmentally delayed students.  The goal is to master entry level job skills and this is done via a licensed bakery.  We serve upwards of 10,000 wholesale/retail customers a week.  We use blodgett 1000 ovens for our pizzas, boiled bagels, and artisan breads, so I haven't made a pie at home in a long time.............  But I am off for summer and going into my room and turning on the gas, making dough balls, etc, is not very convient so I decided to buy this stone and give it a shot. The dough balls are 1lb. I normally toss these to about 18" but realized I only have a 16" peel at home so the pie is a bit thicker than normally what I do.  I must say I am impressed with the results of this stone!  The pies baked at 550 for 5:45.  The outside had a nice crisp and the inside cooked perfect even around the edges.  I am one not to time things but figured I would for people here.   Here are some pictures.  I have to admitt it was a bit unerving to be working in our motor home size kitchen and with a new home oven that has yet to have a pizza made in it.  I found the hotspot (see the burned side) I am spoiled with my classroom space.  I am going to try some breads next.   Thanks Scott!  Walter

a link to our bakery/pizzeria and a short video

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:54:20 PM by waltertore »

Offline redox

Re: first bake with new stone
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
Great looking pizza, Walter! Especially using a new oven. If all goes well, I'll be eating my first homemade NY pizza tonight. I'm using Pizza Shark's recipe, so i'll see how that works out. I've got a 3/4-inch thick 14 1/2 x 15 1/2 stone (don't know what it's made of). My oven will go to 600 would that be too hot, do you think? Also what kind of sauce did you make?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:00:41 PM by redox »

scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »
Looking good, Walter. I'm glad the stone is working out for you.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
Nice looking pie.  Have fun playing around with your new toy!  I love my stones, and while I make a lot of pizza on them, they really get a workout from me baking bread!

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have to admitt downsizing to the home oven is not near as much fun as using the Blodgetts but it is ok for just me and my wife.  I made about 15 dough balls in my classroom Sunday.  I am helping a friend get a small artisan bagel/pizza business going.  His ovens are coming in this week and we will use those dough balls to test his oven out.   Today I rode my bicycle in and picked up 2,and cut some dop parmigano and dop romano from the round in the fridge.   I had a can of centro dop san marzano tomatoes at the house so used them.   I added a couple cloves of garlic and once the sauce was on the pie put a pinch of dried oregano and a little shredded romano before topping with a blend of whole milk mozz and provolone.  I am not sure what 600 degrees will do in your oven redox.  I guess it depends on the stone you have (I don't know anything about the one you have) and the personality of the oven.  In my blodgetts 600 is workable but you have to really keep an eye on it.  the top tends to burn faster than the bottom at that temp.  I usually run them at 550. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:33:01 PM by waltertore »