Author Topic: New to pizza making - would love advice  (Read 120 times)

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
New to pizza making - would love advice
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
I'm a huge pizza fan, but recently I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure, and so I have to control my diet in various ways. My kidney failure wasn't due to diet (although my diet wasn't exactly a good one) but rather an autoimmune disease. With that said, I now have to make my own pizza.

My go-to pizza is usually little caesars (I know, cheap pizza, but I just love it - on special occasions I go to NYPD pizza) and I especially like their sauce. Sadly I have to replicate it with very minimal use of salt, because otherwise pizza is very high in sodium. So far I've done the following:

For sauce:

15 oz tomato paste
1.5 tsp trader joe’s pasta seasoning blend
¼ tsp pepper
Medium heat to a boil, half to medium for 20 minutes afterwards

Pepperonis I use Applegate uncured pepperonis, which are shockingly low in sodium for a pepperoni. They're rather large so I cut them up into smaller peices, and half of a serving works good enough for a whole 16" pizza. I get this at safeway.

For cheese I use sargento 25% reduced sodium mozzarella cheese sticks and then grate them. It actually tastes quite good. You can get this at wal-mart. There's a pre-shredded low moisture version, but it seems most stores don't carry it. But, grating the cheese sticks works good enough.

The dough I've yet to figure out. Every time I make it, it just doesn't have any flavor, but after reading the internet a bit it seems I'm using both the wrong kind of dough as well as the wrong kind of seasoning. I don't have any kind of allergies at all (was just tested) so there is no limit to the kind of dough I should use other than its sodium content, I'm just not sure what exactly I should use. I've heard hi-gluten dough, but I can't seem to find any.

Also, one of the problems I've had in the past is that the pizza I make is always watery in the middle - I'm not quite sure how to solve this problem. Could have something to do with the fact that I always use pineapple, and I don't know the best way to dry it?

I'd like advice on the last two if anybody could help me out.