Author Topic: Low sodium flavorful dough?  (Read 401 times)

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
Low sodium flavorful dough?
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »
I'm new to making pizza, and currently the biggest problem I'm running into right now is the right dough. I'm on a low sodium diet due to a kidney problem I have, so I need to work my way around that. I have no food allergies of any kind, but I'd like to possibly limit carbs and calories, however nothing extreme.

The kind of crust I have in mind is something comparable to either little caesars or NYPD pizza (I'm a fan of both).

Could somebody suggest to me a dough recipe that fits this category as well as how to make it? Hopefully with ingredients I could buy at a local store like trader joe's, wal-mart, kroger, sprouts, sams club, or whole foods.

Bonus points if there is any pre-made dough that fits this category as I have limited time to cook. Also if it helps, I am cooking this with a standard electric oven with a top and bottom heating element, and I use a perforated thin metal round cooking pan. I'm looking at getting a cast iron lodge pro-logic (asked about it in the relevant forum) on amazon, haven't bought one yet though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:19:16 AM by ArmoredDragon »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Low sodium flavorful dough?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
A.D.;
While pizza dough certainly can be made without salt, the flavor might leave a little to be desired, but you could easily drop down to a level of 1% salt based on the total weight of the flour. I also have a very special (brand new product) coming in next week that is designed specifically for individually on a low sodium diet. The product will soon be available at Walmart, but if you will send me a name and mailing address I'll be glad to send you a bottle along with the data sheet on it. I'll be out of the office all of next week but I can send it to you on the following week (July 15th). If you use fresh tomato, either sliced, diced, torn or pureed you can control the salt in the sauce (none is needed) so now you're down to the cheese (which is naturally high in salt). But you can address that too by going to a reduced sodium cheese. I would suggest contacting Boar's Head (800-352-6277) to get information and availability on their reduced sodium provalone and meats. B.H. has taken quite an imitative in developing reduced sodium products for the consumer market.
Remember to send me a mailing address and name, and I'll send the reduced sodium sample to you free of charge.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor <tlehmann@aibonline.org>

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Low sodium flavorful dough?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
I'm new to making pizza, and currently the biggest problem I'm running into right now is the right dough. I'm on a low sodium diet due to a kidney problem I have, so I need to work my way around that. I have no food allergies of any kind, but I'd like to possibly limit carbs and calories, however nothing extreme.

The kind of crust I have in mind is something comparable to either little caesars or NYPD pizza (I'm a fan of both).

Could somebody suggest to me a dough recipe that fits this category as well as how to make it? Hopefully with ingredients I could buy at a local store like trader joe's, wal-mart, kroger, sprouts, sams club, or whole foods.

Bonus points if there is any pre-made dough that fits this category as I have limited time to cook. Also if it helps, I am cooking this with a standard electric oven with a top and bottom heating element, and I use a perforated thin metal round cooking pan. I'm looking at getting a cast iron lodge pro-logic (asked about it in the relevant forum) on amazon, haven't bought one yet though.
Look in the "American" section ArmoredDragon.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan