Author Topic: Permanent amature needs advice  (Read 2113 times)

scott123

Re: Permanent amature needs advice
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
AD, it's really hard to tell from the photo or the specs, but this looks a lot like a thin cheap walmart type of stone. These are generally very low quality stones.  The low quality aspect tends to reveal itself with lack of thermal durability.  Until you know more about it, I wouldn't put this in a grill without a pan underneath it to protect it from the direct heat. In fact, even with a pan, if it is a walmart quality stone, it might still crack at some point.

Do you see the pan that sits under the fibrament stone in this photo?

http://bakingstone.com/media/new_barbecue_stone_on_grill.jpg

An aluminum pan or an aluminum cookie sheet (cut a little larger than stone) will do the trick.

Before you do any of that, though, measure it (diameter/thickness), weigh it and post the numbers here. That will give us an idea of how thermally durable it is.

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 10:23:37 AM »
It seems to be 15" diameter and 3/8th of an inch thick and weighs about 4.6 pounds.

I have a circular perforated pan that will fit it, will that do? Or would the perforations negate the purpose?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:49:56 PM by ArmoredDragon »

scott123

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 03:56:34 AM »
AD, I don't think 3/8" is thick enough for your needs. If it were a denser stone, 3/8" might work, but not at this density.

If it's not too late, I'd take it back and continue your quest for quarry tiles.

Btw, if you end up not being able to track down quarry tiles and don't want to splurge on a fibrament stone, this would probably work.

http://www.axner.com/cordieriteshelf-16roundx58.aspx

It's not quite as good as fibrament for a grill, but should work for you. Is your perforated pan large enough to accommodate a 16" round stone?  I'm not saying that you'll necessarily need it, but, it might help with the thermodynamics.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:58:44 AM by scott123 »

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
I'll keep looking for quarry tiles I suppose. Do they go by any other name, by the way? Quarry is just ceramic isn't it?

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
They are ceramic but unglazed.
Kevin
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »
What about this guy? Specs say unglazed, half inch thick, ceramic.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Quarry-Tile-Red-Flash-6-in-x-6-in-Field-Tile-0T02661P/202653749#.UdrnjG3aW2W

$22 for a case isn't bad. If one or ten break I'll have plenty of spares to boot. Site to store shipping is free.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:39:30 PM by ArmoredDragon »

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
Bueller?

scott123

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
The Daltiles seem to be quality tiles, but... the black shading is achieved with a glaze, and, any time you have glaze, you have the propensity for lead.

Now, I've done some research on Daltiles, and they seem to manufacture quite a few lines of tiles in the U.S.A., and, from what I understand, American made tiles are far less likely to contain lead, but, unless you contact the company and confirm that these tiles are entirely lead free, I wouldn't use them.

These aren't as inexpensive, but they're unglazed:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202653720?productId=202653720&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-202653749-_-202653720-_-N#.Ud3Gu2qZH0k

Keep in mind, that, as you're shopping for tiles, you're going to need a larger pan underneath them to protect them from the direct heat- and the entirety of the setup is going to need to be large enough to give you a nice big target area for launching pizza, but not so large that you're blocking heat coming up from below (a couple of inches on both sides of the deflector pan should be fine).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:04:37 PM by scott123 »

pizzapan