Author Topic: Hard Salami on Pizza-Different brands, styles  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Jim Sholtis

• I Love Pizza!
Hard Salami on Pizza-Different brands, styles
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:06:08 AM »
My years working at Shakey's allowed me to try different ingredients on pizza's. One of my favorites while there, turned me on to having hard salami as one of my personal preferences. While I still like hard salami on my pizza, the brand that we served on the pizza's back then was a far superior brand over what is being put on pizza's here now. The brand was Columbus Brand out of California. It was a wine soaked salami about the same diameter as pepperoni that gave the pie an added flavor to the other ingredients I enjoyed on a pizza. One of the problems at our store, and maybe the other stores in the franchise was keeping the employee's out of it. It was such a delicious salami, it was hard not to be tempted to sneak a slice or two when going into the walk-in where we stored it after slicing. Are any other brands or styles of hard salami are being used now to enhance the flavor of a pizza?   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Hard Salami on Pizza-Different brands, styles
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »
A guy that used to work for me had a night job at local pizza joint. They had this awesome spiced shrimp on the menu....not one pizza was ever sold with shrimp on it(sorry sir, we're fresh outta that!  :-D )

Jim, I recently came across a small sliced(normal pepperoni size) salami product from "Kretschmar" and it is damn good.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
Oh, my.  Well, now I'm going to have to take note of all of the hard salamis that involve wine within the Syracuse area.  There are three markets I'm going to hit this week, and thank you for giving me an excuse to go to Utica!
It's all in the name of research, correct?

Offline parallei

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
I like Fra Mani Salumi.  A bit pricey, but their stuff reminds me of Italy.  Nice robust tastes!

http://www.framani.com/products/

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
I have bought Olli Salame at whole foods a few times.  I really the ones I have tried on pizza.

https://www.olli.com/products/salame/

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
I see Columbus brand cold cuts at local Hannaford grocery stores. Haven't tried salami on pizza, but why not, it's not much different then pepperoni or soppressata.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »
@dhorst, that wine sausage from Roma would do nicely on a pizza!

pizzapan