Author Topic: Why is my crust soggy??!!  (Read 824 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Why is my crust soggy??!!
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
I don't know why but my dough begins to get soggy after about 10 minutes of sitting. Straight out of the oven it is fine but like I stated the bottom of the pie gets really soggy and oily. It's mostly in the center, the actual crush is perfect. Could this be due to an undercooked dough? Or bc the pie is too thin? I am using while milk motz and it oils off quite a bit.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Why is my crust soggy??!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »
It is normal for a pizza crust to become soggy with time after baking, but there are some things that will hasten the transition from crispy to soggy.
1) Pizzas that are baked at a very high temperature may only develop a very thin crusty layer on the bottom of the pizza. This can quickly go from crispy to soggy. Parbaked pizzas seldom ever experience this problem.
2) Dough weight is incorrect for the size/type of pizza you're making. Typically a pizza skin that is stretched too thin, especially across the center section will crisp during baking but loses that crisp very quickly. This is normally accompanied by a gum line.
3) Excessive use of sauce and/or toppings, or sauce watering out.
4) Failure to place the pizza on a screen so it can steam off immediately after baking without the steam being driven back into the pizza as it would if placed onto a serving tray or other solid tray immediately after baking.
5) If the problem is due to excessive oil, look at the cheese and/or pepperoni, as either of these have a reputation for potential to oil out. Some cheeses and pepperoni exhibit much greater resistance to oiling out than others.
There are probably a few more that aren't coming to mind right now, but these are what I think might be the most common causes.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »
Out of the oven the pizza is going directly on an aluminum disk for cutting. It pretty much stays there until clean up. It's frustrating bc I want to save the left overs but I can't bc the bottom of the pies crust is completely soaked.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
Camaro10, sounds like Tom gave you some pretty good suggestions. I always put my pie on a "cooling rack" to avoid just what you describe. Try his suggestions and see if things don't improve. Left over pizza is a GOOD thing!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »
It may be that your sauce and/or toppings is too watery and draining onto the plate after you've cut the pie .

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
I think your right. Bc I do notice a lot of oil on the plate after I cut my pie.
My problem is what is the solution to this? Do I have to sacrifice my ingredients?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
Well it depends.  Why don't you post a picture of the problem and we maybe able to find a solution without sacrificing your ingredients.  Are you adding oil to your sauce?  Or is this oil coming strictly from the cheese?

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »
Yes I do add a tbsp of EVOO in my sauce. But I don't think it is the sauce bc the consistency isn't watery. I'm thinking its the whole milk grande with the added pepperoni on top. Here is a pic of a pie I made lastnight. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures of the bottom side of the pie which is my main concern.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
Honestly I don't or can't see the problem.  Many folks would be estatic to have a few slices of your greasy NY pie.  I know I would.  If you still feel it is too  greasy, you may try nuking the pepperoni a bit on papertowels to drain the pepperoni or blend in another cheese with the Grande.   You can also give it a good sprinkling of parmesan to help soak up the excess grease.  If it were me though, I'd leave the oil out of the sauce and enjoy it like it is.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:55:19 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
Yea it's only a tbsp in a 28oz can so its really not a lot on one pie. Maybe I will cut back on the cheese. Begin adding a little less than I have been.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:21:40 PM »
I like to put my pie directly from the oven on to a cooling rack. I always try to give the pie two minutes before cutting, I feel that amount of time gives just enough time for some of the oil from cheese and/or toppings to begin to set a little and not be as runny as when a pie comes straight out of the oven. Loss the aluminum pan, at least until the pie has cooled a little.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »
I like to put my pie directly from the oven on to a cooling rack. I always try to give the pie two minutes before cutting, I feel that amount of time gives just enough time for some of the oil from cheese and/or toppings to begin to set a little and not be as runny as when a pie comes straight out of the oven. Loss the aluminum pan, at least until the pie has cooled a little.

yes pepperoni is greasy as all heck.  If you slice it right out of the oven it will run down and under the pie.  I always let our pies sit for a few to solid up a bit.   Someone gave me a bunch of  those aluminum perforated pizza pans.  They work good  for cooling after out of the oven with some space for air underneath.  I shred grande whole milk mozz and grande provolone and it is not very greasy.  I think the pepperoni is your problem.  Many people love it that way.  Your pizza looks like a typical NY style pepperoni to me!  Walter

here is a side view of a pie I cooked in the  home oven yesterday.  It sat on the peel for a few minutes before getting sliced.  You can see there is no grease on the peel.  It was made with the whole milk and provolone cheeses.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:40:01 AM by waltertore »
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

pizzapan