Author Topic: Forno Bova!  (Read 4921 times)

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
Forno Bova!
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
So after years of dreaming about it and months of practice I had my first paying party last Saturday.  It was a total blast sharing the pizza ideas I've been enjoying around the country during my travels.   

I prepared about 80 pizzas and made 58 or so in about 2.5 hours.  The pistachio was a real big hit with people asking for more. I had to send my wife for to the store for more ingredients for that one.  The Kale pie was made up the morning of based on a desire to have a pizza with not much cheese.  Pepperoni and Jalapeno is a big favorite of mine.  I also made some polenta to make some gluten free people happy.  It slowed me down but was a hit with a few people.  I need to work on how to do this fast as I think it could be a hit.

Dough tools came in handy of course and I could not have done this without all the people I've learned from and talked with over the years. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:52:27 PM by acbova »

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
Re: Forno Bova!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
Here are a few shots of the boards the hosts made for me and also my new logo.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »
Oh and a oven, fire pizza shot from a guest.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
 acbova,

Nice!!  ;D  I see you use Daisy flour.  I have thought of trying the Daisy flour since it is milled locally and Daisy uses the old time techniques of milling flour.  What do you like about using the Daisy flour?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
Thanks Norma,

I like a few things I think it is finely milled like a 00 flour.  It's local in that it is locally milled from flour from the Midwest.  It has just a very small amount of finely milled bran that slips though to the flour that gives it a slight whole wheat flavor and color.  I think that sets my pizza just a bit apart.  I've made several Tartine loaves with it that turned out fantastic so as I hope to transition to a natural leavening I think my flavor will even get better.

Normal, I would love to bring you some to try some Tuesday.  I think it's pretty pricey in the 2lb bags.

Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
Thanks Norma,

I like a few things I think it is finely milled like a 00 flour.  It's local in that it is locally milled from flour from the Midwest.  It has just a very small amount of finely milled bran that slips though to the flour that gives it a slight whole wheat flavor and color.  I think that sets my pizza just a bit apart.  I've made several Tartine loaves with it that turned out fantastic so as I hope to transition to a natural leavening I think my flavor will even get better.

Normal, I would love to bring you some to try some Tuesday.  I think it's pretty pricey in the 2lb bags.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for telling me more about the Daisy flour and how you think it is finely milled like an 00 flour. 
Which Daisy flour do you use from the Daisy Organic Flours website?  http://daisyflour.com/  I checked out their pizza recipes on their website before and didn't see any photos.  I have liked Daisy flours on facebook and asked them if there were pictures of the pizzas made with the recipes.  They wrote me back and said no, there were no photos of those pizzas.  Daisy Organic Flours did say they were going to send me some sample bags of flours and asked me for my address, but I haven't received any.  I did see Daisy flour at my local supermarket awhile ago, but it isn't there anymore. 

If you want to come over to visit me and Steve and Tuesday I would like that, but you really don't have to bring any Daisy flour.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »

Which Daisy flour do you use from the Daisy Organic Flours website?  http://daisyflour.com/  I checked out their pizza recipes on their website before and didn't see any photos.  I have liked Daisy flours on facebook and asked them if there were pictures of the pizzas made with the recipes.  They wrote me back and said no, there were no photos of those pizzas.  Daisy Organic Flours did say they were going to send me some sample bags of flours and asked me for my address, but I haven't received any.  I did see Daisy flour at my local supermarket awhile ago, but it isn't there anymore.

Here's the mill, Norma, if you want to go right to the source...

http://binged.it/15izCEp   ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:14:33 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
Here's the mill, Norma, if you want to go right to the source...

http://binged.it/15izCEp   ;D

Tony,

Thanks for the photo of Daisy Mills.  I had looked at Daisy's mill process before at http://daisyflour.com/annville-mill/roller-mill-process.html  and thought their milling process was interesting.
If I have time someday and Daisy's flours let people visit their mill I might go there.  It sure isn't too far from me.  ;D

Sorry Pete!   :-[ 

Norma
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:08:14 AM by norma427 »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »
Very nice, glad it was a success. I like your logo. Don't know if you ever posted it before so it's my first time seeing it. Look clean.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
Very nice. Love the fresh jalapeņos. Great logo too.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for the photo of Daisy Mills.  I had looked at Daisy's mill process before at http://daisyflour.com/annville-mill/roller-mill-process.html  and thought their milling process was interesting.
If I have time someday and Daisy's flours let people visit their mill I might go there.  It sure isn't too far from me.  ;D

LOL Norma!!!  I'm not Tony but my Broilmaster does have wheels on it also.   ;)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
The crust looks very nice what temperature do you cook at??

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »
Very nice ac! How do you keep your dough from over fermenting without refrigeration when it is so damn hot?
Chaz

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
Very cool, Tony! Keep up the good work!

scott123

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »
I have a previous life as a graphic designer, and, as John Conklin will tell you, I can get really critical when it comes to design :) so take this with a grain of salt, but, when I saw your logo;

First impression: Clean, striking, bold, simple, great colors.

Second impression: A little tombstone-y.

Like I said, grain of salt.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 12:55:42 AM »
Very nice ac! How do you keep your dough from over fermenting without refrigeration when it is so damn hot?
I use dough trays and a softt side cooler from Restaurant Depot. My thought is to do short events as well.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 12:57:44 AM »

Second impression: A little tombstone-y.

Glad it was you second impression and not your first :)   

I come to bury Forno Bova, not to praise him.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 01:03:28 AM »
The crust looks very nice what temperature do you cook at??

We are totally not sure.   Often 700 or so we think.  My son was at the oven and it was going to fast that we are not sure.

I should also say that my kids totally rocked this event.   My little ones did cheese and other prep and two of my older kids were helping me and were in the pictures.  I could not have pulled it off without them.   

scott123

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
I come to bury Forno Bova, not to praise him.

The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their pizza bones.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »
Very nice Tony! 
Deb