Author Topic: dough taking ages to proof  (Read 553 times)

Offline fersy

dough taking ages to proof
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
hi guys im having an issue i cant seem to resolve in my pizzeria atm. when i make a batch of dough (say 10kg flour worth) the pizzas for the first 2 hours or so seem to want to bubble up badly which means constantly popping them or badly misplaced toppings and a crust you could put your finger through in places.

ive tried making the dough bit earlier but its still the same.

normally id start making the dough at 2pm for 5pm opening. its usually mixed and rolled into dough balls and stored in dough trays by 3pm. the funny thing is if i made another batch straight after and left it till 10 pm when i first start to use that batch i get the same issue even though the ones made just an hour before have been making great pizzas since 7pm or so.

im guessing its temperature related and the dough is underproofed earlier in the night then as it sits in the area facing the oven it starts to proof fine after a while but anybody know why it takes so long? funny this is dough that has started to make good pizzas by 7 is getting over the hill a bit by 11 lol so i dont really want to be making it even earlier.

i never had this problem till the last 2 weeks and now i cant get rid of it and its affecting the quality of my pizzas in the first 2 hours very day which is very frustrating and bad for business.

anybody any ideas

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
Re: dough taking ages to proof
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
I'm super confused, you are letting the dough proof for around 2 hours before using but you're saying it is taking ages to proof? I've never heard of a place using dough after 2 hours proofing.

Offline fersy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
how long do you think it should take to proof?

in the pizzeria i trained in for a year the dough was started mixing at 3 and was good to go for them opening at 5 with no such problems.

also ive had no such problems until recently

Offline fersy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »
just for a bit more info on the mix im using, i dont weigh the stuff but it is pretty much 10k flour, 4.5l water fresh yeast the size of about 2 dice stuck together a palm full of sugar and half as much salt and half a 2oz dip cup of oil

i put about 3 ice cubes in the water when mixing as i find it keeps the temp down longer in the mixer allowing it to mix longer and better.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Something has changed.  Either your water temp, amount of yeast or air temp.  Do you get much flavor in your dough with only 3hrs ferment?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »
With Summer coming in, I'd say your room temps are starting to change(air conditioning?) and it's affecting your dough. If I were you, I'd try to find a better dough recipe that you can pre-ferment a day or so early at controlled temps. This will give you some consistency, which is what you need when your business depends on a consistent product. It may take some experimentation in the short term, but in the long run you'll save time, money and customers.

Offline fersy

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Cheers guys. Yes its summer over here and as a result its warmer but id have thought the extra heat would have proofed it fastrr rather than slower? I think you are correct that i need to start looking for a recipe that will allow me to make it the eveningbefore but most i see would require me to refrigerate  the dough and i currently do not have the capacity refrigeration wise to do this.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
Cheers guys. Yes its summer over here and as a result its warmer but id have thought the extra heat would have proofed it fastrr rather than slower? I think you are correct that i need to start looking for a recipe that will allow me to make it the eveningbefore but most i see would require me to refrigerate  the dough and i currently do not have the capacity refrigeration wise to do this.

You don't need to refrigerate your dough for an overnight recipe, especially if your place is air conditioned (under 80F or so). The two factors you can adjust are your yeast % and the water temperature. I would just make your batches, throw them in proofing bins covered, and then ball them the next day when you come in.  Where are you located?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
Also weighing the ingredients would help a lot from a QC standpoint.  I would think an overnight ferment would really do some great things for the flavor. But maybe that's not possible in your workflow. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:20:14 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline fersy

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
cheers guys im in northern ireland.

air conditioning is not something that is common over here apart from in office buildings due to the fact we never get the sort of extremes in weather others do just rain rain rain lol.

the average day over here at this time of year is about 17-20c (approx 68f)  however in my shop with the oven on it would be more like about 27c (80.6f)

i think i may have an idea as to what may have changed. when i opened i kept my yeast in the refrigerator in the paper wrapper it came in however as the outside was going a bit orange and crusty i transferred it to an airtight plastic container and kept it in the fridge.

some places i have read that it needs some air to breathe and putting it in an airtight container can kill the yeast or cause it to lose potency others ive seen recommend an airtight container lol. not sure which is correct but thinking back the problems only started about 2 days after i started keeping the yeast in the container so its gotta be worth a try.

when i open the container there is a lot of condensation or moisture in there and the yeast stinks worse than usual lol.

Offline fersy

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
ok so i went out and bought a new block of fresh yeast today and yay problem sorted. pizzas cooking great again. dunno why the airtight container affected it so badly i thought it would have kept it fresher. oh well we live and learn lol

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
Glad u were able to figure it out and it was an easy fix.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.