Author Topic: My Recipe for NY Pie (took a while)  (Read 2006 times)

Offline fridaypizzaguy

My Recipe for NY Pie (took a while)
« on: February 10, 2006, 09:01:55 AM »
I grew up in Queens NY, and moved to Ct. in1978.  It got into making my own pie in ~ 1985.  Here's what I came up with after years of my kids not eating the cheese, lousy sauce and never hitting the home run:
I use San Marzano tomatoes (Sclafani), with a bit of olive oil, oregano, black pepper, and crushed garlic and salt.   I don't cook it.  Ladle it on the dough so you can see the dough through it. (1 laddle full for a 15 in pie). Then I take a small amount of a 3 cheese blend romano, asiago, and parm, (but don't over do it), and lightly cover the sauce.  Then I use Cutrufello whole milk mozz, again just enought to cover.  Finally I grate 1/2 slice of Boar's Head provolone.  (This is the only brand to use).  I then shake it off the peel into the oven which contains 9-6x6 unglazed quarry tiles which have been heating up at 550 for 1 hour.  I found these much better than a pizza stone.  The crust is perfect.  Now here's the trick, I set the pie on the bottom rack for ~ 6 minutes and then set the stove to broil and move the pie to the top rack for say 45 seconds or so.  You have to keep  rotating the pie (as the hottest part is in the back).  What you wind up with is a pie with the nice soft center yet a semi hard to hard crust.  Oh Yeah, as far as the dough goes, I cheat and use Wenner.  You can toss it by hand easily and it has good stretch qualities (at slightly cooler than room temp).  Remember the key is not to over cheese the thing.  Too much of the 3 cheese or the prov will hide the mozz. Give it a whirl...

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
Re: My Recipe for NY Pie (took a while)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:12:44 PM »
Hello fridaypizzaguy, and welcome to the forums of pizzamaking.com.

You have thru your own experience found what many of the members here also found to provide an excellent cooking base for the pizzas. Myself, I have invested in the Fibrament D stone and have found it to do a fantastic job. I do use unglazed tiles on the BBQ however in the warmer months when it is simply unacceptable to fire up the oven. Your sauce and prep techniques sound wonderful. Could you post some pictures here for us to enjoy? We always love to see what is going on in other's kitchens.

Also, what can you tell us about the dough you are using? I assume this is a commercially made dough but can't recall seeing any reference to it.

Dan

Offline fridaypizzaguy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 07:36:20 PM »
Dan,

I use Wenner dough made in Bayport N.Y.  It really handles well, and makes a nice 15" pie.  The flavor is nice.....As far a a picture goes, I need to re-save my pizza pics as they are too big for the upload limit size. 

Steve (Fridaypizzaguy)

Offline fridaypizzaguy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:42:03 PM »
Pizzadanpizzaman,

Here are some pictures (you asked for),  from last Friday.  Had some vino and had a good time. 

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 09:54:13 AM »
I noticed that you have TURKEY peperoni there,never seen that before.How is the taste of the peperoni??Would you say that it is as good or better than regular pork and beef peperoni.
Aaron

Offline fridaypizzaguy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »
Aaron,

It's really quite good, and has a lot less fat.  Plus you can put it on before it goes in the oven.With beef pepperoni, I'd wait 2-3 minutes before putting it on...........  (I have to tell folks what it is), nobody has complained yet.   

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 09:40:24 AM »
Fridaypizzaguy,thanks for the info on the peperoni.Next time I am in the states I will have to get some to  try.
Aaron