Author Topic: Replicating little caesars ingredients only with low sodium  (Read 808 times)

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
My first focus here is the dough, I happened across this which shows both sauce and dough:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message125566/pg1

Now for the dough they call for salt, which I obviously have to either omit or reduce. For that reason, I fully expect the flavor to not be exact, however I'd like to get close. Any thoughts on what I could substitute it with? (Thinking along the lines of partially evaporating lemon juice)

Also, any brand of flour I should use that I can obtain in Arizona? I have a sam's club membership, but I didn't find any high gluten flour there. However I live near both a sprouts and a smart and final, where I saw a mention that they have a high gluten flour elsewhere on this forum. Any opinion on which one of them is better?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:36:07 PM by ArmoredDragon »

Offline scott123

Re: Replicating little caesars ingredients only with low sodium
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
I might be wrong about this, but, as far as I know, there aren't a lot of people on the forum working with with no/low salt doughs.

I know, for certain, that salt is a gluten enhancer, so, if I were making no/low salt pizza dough, I might reach for higher gluten flour to compensate. This could be one of those few instances where a really strong flour, such as King Arthur Sir Lancelot (KASL) or All Trumps, might be appropriate. Maybe. If you can track one of these down, I'd definitely try it.

Neither is easy to find though.  There's nothing wrong with getting your feet wet with supermarket bread flour.  King Arthur Bread Flour would be good to try, as would Better for Bread flour.

I would probably steer clear of the lemon juice, but a little vitamin c (ascorbic acid), as a gluten enhancer, wouldn't hurt.

The other thing to consider is that salt is a yeast inhibitor, so whatever recipe you're using, dial down the yeast.

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
Do you know what stores carry ascorbic acid in powder form? I know you can get it off of Amazon but it's a bit pricey that way.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »
Do you know what stores carry ascorbic acid in powder form? I know you can get it off of Amazon but it's a bit pricey that way.

ArmoredDragon,

Ascorbic acid is also know as (Vitamin C).  I have purchased Vitamin C and just crushed it and added it to some flours.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
ArmoredDragon,

Ascorbic acid is also know as (Vitamin C).  I have purchased Vitamin C and just crushed it and added it to some flours.

Norma

The vitamin c pills aren't just pure ascorbic acid though, they have a bunch of other additives to keep them in a solid form as opposed to powder. I think it is something like a ratio of 2 other materials to every 1 gram of ascorbic acid.

Anyways I found a few health food stores as well as walgreens stock them, and both cost more than Amazon. I get free shipping with prime so it's cheaper that way. I added the 8 oz version of this to something else I was already about to order:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Vitamin-Crystals-Ascorbic-Pound/dp/B0013OUMVO/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »
ArmoredDragon,

If you are interested this is the thread I used homemade dough conditioners and that also included Vitamin C.  Peter helped me with that thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13385.60.html

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
ArmoredDragon,

If you are interested this is the thread I used homemade dough conditioners and that also included Vitamin C.  Peter helped me with that thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13385.60.html

Norma

Good info, thanks!

Offline ArmoredDragon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
I found some high gluten flour at smart and final. Anybody have any experience with it? Brand is La Romanalla. I see some other people on the forum have tried it, but comments on success with it aren't very detailed.

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
AD, there seems to be no specs on this flour.  Based on the term 'high gluten' though, I would just about guarantee you that this either matches or exceeds the protein of KABF or Better for Bread, so, for your needs, I think this is a winner.

As far a sourcing vitamin C- I would take a look at the fillers on the cheap tablets. It might just be dextrose, which, as long as you compensate for it in your formula (by using less sugar), you should be fine.

pizzapan