Author Topic: Mark's -Stir 'n' Roll pizza dough - NO Yeast  (Read 67859 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Mark's -Stir 'n' Roll pizza dough - NO Yeast
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
Hi all,

After a number of private messages, I've finally got off my duff, and pulled out my
stirl 'n roll pizza dough recipe.

This recipe has NO yeast in it, and is not bad.

Stir 'n' Roll Pizza Dough
=================
2 cups Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

Bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 mins.

Blend together ingredients, and then roll out the dough in your usual manner.
So to clarify once again, there is NO yeast in this dough.

Since this dough uses no yeast, it may be preferable to bake it as the suggested
oven temp, rather than a high heat, however, I've never tried it using high high heat
like we usually do our pizzas at, so, if anyone ever tries it, let us all know.

Mark.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:17:13 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline bicster

Re: Mark's -Stir 'n' Roll pizza dough - NO Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 04:19:23 PM »
I guess if you run out of yeast this is pretty handy

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »
I finally tried this recipe last night and have to sadly admit that it was not so good. The crust was more biscuit like than pizza dough. The dough lacked structure and had no real crunch to it. It had no real flavor either. It was worth the experiment though and I appreciate Mark posting it for us. Thanks!

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 06:46:17 PM »
Hi Papageorgio,

Thanks for posting your experience with it.  I may try it one of these days just to remember how it was.

I had used this years ago, and it was an "ok" one, if I didn't have yeast in stock.   I guess the key with this
type of dough is to add lots of toppings so you can get over the bland dough

It's amazing how the addition of yeast to flour and water can change everything so much.

This dough reminds me of those quick doughs you can buy in the box in your grocery store, - you can usually
find them for 99 cents or whatnot, - it's kind of like a cake mix box but smaller.... and they ask you to just add
in water and a bit of oil.

Anyway thanks for having the courage to try it.
I finally tried this recipe last night and have to sadly admit that it was not so good. The crust was more biscuit like than pizza dough. The dough lacked structure and had no real crunch to it. It had no real flavor either. It was worth the experiment though and I appreciate Mark posting it for us. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 06:49:15 PM by canadianbacon »

Offline iceman3876

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 10:32:07 AM »
Hi all,

After a number of private messages, I've finally got off my duff, and pulled out my
stirl 'n roll pizza dough recipe.

This recipe has NO yeast in it, and is not bad.

Could you post a picture of the pizza made with this recipe....I have heard these folks talk about the no yeast pizza's but wanted to see the final product...If at all possible

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:11:58 PM »
Had the pizza come out good I would have posted pictures. The appearance of the pie was normal...looked quite good actually but both texture and taste were lacking big time. The structure (or lack of) was disturbing. The crust was rolled out thin(the dough was easy to work) but you could just break it off and it would just crumble. I used high Gluten 'Sir Lancelot' flour.

I have tried many times to make 'no yeast' crust and the results are always similar. This was my last attempt. My pizza with yeast is SO much better that there is NO comparison.

I have done many 'slow rise' yeast recipes (24 hour) in the fridge that have come out very good. I am now going to try letting the dough rise at room temperature and punch it down 3 times over an 8 hour period then refridgerate it to let it relax. My thought is to go to the other extreme and see what happens with as yeasty a dough as I can get. Not by adding more yeast but giving the yeast the environment to do its thing. Then cook with the pan down as close to the heat as possible.

I go out of my way NOT to make the same pie twice and have learned alot so far. This 'no yeast' crust is a waste of good flour IMHO. All my experiments from now on WILL include yeast.

As Forest Gump said..."and that's all I have to say about that'

PS.
I will include pictures and recipe in my next experiment. I find the thin cracker crust to be the most challenging.

Good luck,

Papageorgio

Offline ACrazyGirl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 09:07:26 AM »
Hey -- this no-yeast pizza dough is excellent. I know it's not like traditional pizza crust because it does crumble a bit, but I've been able to adjust the flavor by blending a variety of ingredients into the dough before baking. I've tried garlic & chives, tomato & garlic with finely chopped red onions and even a crust made with powdered steak seasoning mixed in.

I'm not a professional cook in any sense of the word -- but living in a rather remote area in the UK for the past year, I don't have regular access to the ingredients I would normally find in the USA. Therefore, this recipe is perfect for me.

Thanks for posting it.  Maybe someone will volunteer to fiddle with it until it's less crumbly??? :chef:

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 09:39:00 AM »
Hi CrazyGirl, glad you liked it  :)

and you're welcome.

Hey -- this no-yeast pizza dough is excellent.
<snip>
Thanks for posting it. 
<snip>

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:39:01 PM »
My mouth dropped open when I saw this recipe. It's basically a native american fry bread recipe!!!  :o

I've been making this recipe all month, but I've just been frying it and cooking it on a griddle. I was getting ready to throw it onto my pizza stone next. Go figure.

Oh, so far I'm just using Gold Medal AP flour, bleached or unbleached, it just the same.

I would give this dough at least a 2 hr. room temp rest to allow the gluten to develop. It will roll and stretch beautifully (like a yeast dough) with a good oven spring.

The less you handle/stir this dough the more tender the final product.

You can knead it for a few strokes on a lightly floured surface after the room temp. rest; if you want it a bit chewier.

I would try dropping the oil to about 2T. and bring the baking powder down to 1 tsp. per cup of flour.
In general, 1 tsp baking powder is all that is required to leven a cup of flour. I have never gone over 1 1/2 tsp. per cup.

If the dough is too crumbly, the flour is probably being over measured or the liquids under measured.

Oh! The liquid (milk) should be about 100F- 105F. I haven't  tried it any warmer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:48:44 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 10:32:24 PM »
I'm making this dough now. But I forgot the oil.  I'll post how it turns out. It will probably only get about an hours rest, but that should be sufficient enough.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 03:26:56 AM »
Here's what I did.

8.0 oz./2 c. unbleached AP
.30 oz/2 tsp double acting baking powder
.25 oz./ 1 tsp salt
5.35 oz./ 2/3 c. 2% milk 100F

Combined flour, salt and baking soda - stirred by hand.

poured in 100F milk and stirred in with fingers until stiff and kneaded just enough to incorporate the rest of the flour.

The dough is stif and at this point looked "rough" not smooth. Gave it a quik spritz with PAM and covered with plastic wrap to set at room temperature for 1 hour. The dough usually dosen't rise like a yeast dough, but becomes elastic and will not hold a finger impression.

Uncovered and kneaded just a few strokes without flour until I got a smooth surface.
Divided the dough in half, and formed each piece into a smooth ball.

On a floured board, pressed, rolled and stretched out dough ball to reach about 12 inches. So, it's pretty thin. Dough is stiff and elastic so alternating between rolling and stretching is almost necessary. The air bubbles could be seen in the dough even after all the rolling and stretching.

Added toppings and baked on a stone preheated to 500F for 1 hour.

Bubbles formed on the outer rim before a minute had past . The browning on the bottom crust developed in about 7 minutes, indicating it was done.

This crust was somewhere between a cracker and a thin crust.

I'd like to see this done with 6oz/3/4 c. milk, maybe at a higher temp. than 100F and a full 2 hour rest. maybe I'll give it a try soon.

Offline fagan

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09:51 AM »
 ???

Hey I think there is a terrible mistake on this post. 
Instead of two table spoons baking powder, try two teaspoons.
I made it the way mark describes and it has an overwhelming baking powder taste.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update this thread.  I made this dough a few nights ago for fun, and it turned out,
not that bad.  I was expecting the worse, but it actually was not bad.  Would I make this all the time ? no way !
I love yeast doughs way too much, however I have friends who don't know how to bake, and buy a boxed pizza mix at the grocery
store which is basically what this recipe is.

Sadly, I did indeed give the WRONG measurements for the baking power.  The correct recipe is
2 teaspoons of baking powder. -
NOT the whopping 2 tablespoons which I originally indicated ( that would equal 6 teaspoons ! )
ouch.

So sorry about this, I should proof read my measurements when I post a recipe.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
Mark;
Your chemically leavened (baking powder) dough reminds me a lot of the first pizzas I ever made using the Chef Boyardee (not sure of the spelling) pizza mix. Yep, tasted a lot like a biscuit with a poor excuse for pizza toppings on it, but considering the time (early 1950's) it was pretty good, and like today, a novel to make at home.
There are still a lot of people who use the refrigerated Pillsbury biscuit dough as a base to make their pizzas on.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the post.  Gee, great memories eh ! :-)  Things sure have changed, and changed for the
better.  Next time I"m in the grocery store, I'm going to see if they have that Pillsbury biscuit dough up here
in Canada.  Ha, never even thought of using that. I'm not going to buy it, but am curious to see if we have that,
I have a feeling we do. 

Mark

Mark;
Your chemically leavened (baking powder) dough reminds me a lot of the first pizzas I ever made using the Chef Boyardee (not sure of the spelling) pizza mix. Yep, tasted a lot like a biscuit with a poor excuse for pizza toppings on it, but considering the time (early 1950's) it was pretty good, and like today, a novel to make at home.
There are still a lot of people who use the refrigerated Pillsbury biscuit dough as a base to make their pizzas on.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
Mark;
If you can find it give it a try. Just remove the individual dough pieces and place then together in a pan, press them together, then flatten to make something that looks like a pizza skin, then top, dress and bake. That's how I've seen it done and it seems to work pretty well for what it is.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »

Sadly, I did indeed give the WRONG measurements for the baking power.  The correct recipe is
2 teaspoons of baking powder. -
NOT the whopping 2 tablespoons which I originally indicated ( that would equal 6 teaspoons ! )
ouch.

I fixed the original post.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.